PlayStation 3 Anti-Virus Software Released

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PlayStation 3 Anti-Virus Software Released

Anti-virus company Trend Micro has released new software for the PlayStation 3 [http://www.playstation.com], designed to protect it and its users from harmful and inappropriate websites.

Web Security for PlayStation 3, which launched earlier in November, will block malicious web pages when the PlayStation 3 is used for web browsing and will also give parents the ability to lock out inappropriate websites based on a variety of criteria, ranging from tobacco use to sex and violence. The software will work by accessing Trend Micro's proprietary databases to evaluate and categorize web pages, domains and IP addresses, filtering and blocking harmful material. According to Trend Micro, it's the first anti-virus-type software ever created for a gaming console.

Some experts are questioning whether the software will see widespread adoption among game console consumers, however, suggesting that consoles are inherently less vulnerable than PCs and that the move may be premature. Daniel Ives, an analyst at Friedman Billings Ramsey [http://www.fbr.com/], said, "I think the jury's still out. Over the coming years, as the console becomes more common in terms of web browsing, that's when you can really try to gauge what type of opportunity it is for the anti-virus vendors."

Web Security for PlayStation 3 will be available on a trial basis until the end of April 2008, with details about pricing for a pay service to be announced when available. The software can be accessed worldwide via the PlayStation 3 version 2.00 system software update. More information is available at the Trend Micro website [http://trendmicro.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=592].

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Here we go.
Why should I bother with a PS3 when it's bound to replicate what my PC does, even down to the plaguing problems?

TheDarkArchon

Oct 20, 2007
Arbre said:
Here we go.
Why should I bother with a PS3 when it's bound to replicate what my PC does, even down to the plaguing problems?
Because your PC doesn't have the magical Cell and/or Blu-Ray?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
TheDarkArchon said:
Arbre said:
Here we go.
Because your PC doesn't have the magical Cell and/or Blu-Ray?
I don't need them. :)
When I will, one of them, or both, will be standards by that time.

xbeaker

Sep 11, 2007
Sadly, this is exactly why MS didn't release a web browser for the 360. As much as people are clamoring for it, it ends up causing more bad press for Sony because now the paranoids are going to think that the evil identity thieves are going to get them through their PS3.

Kronopticon

Nov 7, 2007
Consoles should only be able to connect to the internet to have online multiplayers, not browse the internet, this is why we buy a computer, but then again, we now have phones that can access the internet. The internet is made for computers, game servers are for consoles. Thats it! No crossover!