Sony CEO Hails PS3 Trend As Similar to PS2

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Sony CEO Hails PS3 Trend As Similar to PS2

The PlayStation 3 saw an impressive pick-up of sales since its price cut, the introduction of a 40 GB version and the scarcity of the Wii - so much so that the company CEO hailed the trend as akin to the one that drove the PlayStation 2.

"The momentum shift and the energy behind PS3 in time for Christmas is extremely fortuitous," Stringer told Hollywood Reporter. "It was planned by the PlayStation group, but I think this momentum now - particularly the number of games coming out, including our own as well as third-party - is the same as it was with PlayStation 2."

Stringer may be overstating his case, though, as the PS3 has only moved half the units as its predecessor in its first year - 5.59 million units compared to 10.04.

Perhaps anticipating this criticism, Stringer explained away the difference by citing what he called the extra difficulty - and extra benefit - of dealing with the Cell processor built into the system.

"The amount of bandwidth and the processing power of Cell give game manufacturers a lot more work to do to use this system to its full benefit, and it's taken awhile to do it," he said. "The same was true of PlayStation 2."

Source: Shacknews.com [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50024]

Kenkaku

Nov 7, 2007
Who is similar to what now? I recall the PS2 being scarce and the Gamecube being abundant. Who does he think he's kidding, especially with the Wii still outselling it everywhere but Japan (I would've been scared if it DIDN'T outsell the Wii in Japan, what with the even lower price tag and the Dynasty Warriors Gundam game just released)?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Kenkaku said:
Who is similar to what now? I recall the PS2 being scarce and the Gamecube being abundant. Who does he think he's kidding, especially with the Wii still outselling it everywhere but Japan (I would've been scared if it DIDN'T outsell the Wii in Japan, what with the even lower price tag and the Dynasty Warriors Gundam game just released)?
The PS3's hit shouldn't be dismissed so harshly though. The console has many odds against it.
The media communication is almost totally absent. It has no games to chant about that much. The PS2 gets all the real hits for the moment. And it's still expensive.

What scares me is how so many people spend so much money on a Gamecube 1.5 with so few good games.