New Zealand Police Superintendent Connects Youth Violence With Next-Gen Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Zealand Police Superintendent Connects Youth Violence With Next-Gen Consoles

A top New Zealand [https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/nz.html]police officer says a jump in violent crime rates among youths corresponds with the release of next-generation gaming consoles.

Superintendent Bill Harrison, National Manager of Police Youth Services in New Zealand, said that while youth crime is in decline overall, the incidence of violent crimes among young people has jumped over the past two or three years, a period which corresponds with the release and rise in popularity of systems like the New Zealand Ministry of Justice [http://www.xbox.com] figures, the number of youths caught for criminal offenses fell 17 percent overall last year, but the number arrested for violent crimes actually rose by 25 percent.

Speaking to a conference on youth offenders, Harrison said the increased numbers partly reflected a movement of police resources to combating family violence, which resulted in an increase of young people arrested for violence against partners and family members. But he also said he grew concerned about the effects of videogames when he noticed his 14-year-old son playing an Xbox game featuring "human beings killing each other."

"It was desensitizing him to violence," Harrison told the conference. "It was shifting his norm about how he would deal with conflict. You see these kids - their hands are wringing wet with sweat because their bodies are taking in what's going on on the screen and they are acting it out."

Harrison said he wanted the impact of videogames included in new research on the increase in youth violence being conducted by the New Zealand government.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Malygris said:
But he also said he grew concerned about the effects of videogames when he noticed his 14-year-old son playing an Xbox game featuring "human beings killing each other."
He probably should have noticed the game before it was purchased by his 14-year-old son.

If the rating on the box is too obtuse, I hear that you can usually tell if there is violence in a game by the menacing-looking people with guns in the cover art.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I wondered the same thing. As he stood there watching his son play this game that was supposedly making him numb to the horrors we inflict upon one another and thinking about requesting new research into the impact of videogames on youth violence, did he also think about saying, hey, you shouldn't be playing that game and I'm taking it away?

strayjay

Oct 10, 2007
Ian Dorsch said:
Malygris said:
But he also said he grew concerned about the effects of videogames when he noticed his 14-year-old son playing an Xbox game featuring "human beings killing each other."
He probably should have noticed the game before he purchased it for his 14-year-old son.

If the rating on the box is too obtuse, I hear that you can usually tell if there is violence in a game by the menacing-looking people with guns in the cover art.
Fixed... and agreed. What a douchebag this guy is.

madlep

Nov 7, 2007
Of course the increase in methamphetamine use in NZ over the same period has nothing to do with it at all...

Jakeb Smith

Nov 12, 2007
Stop scaremongering and spend some time with your son. You're a big, manly police officer, go do big, manly things like play rugby. Oh wait, that's another form of institutionalised violence, only with added homo erotica.

sergeantz

Nov 4, 2007
I would be interested in the credentials that allow him to make such sweeping statements. I'm currently in the military, which most people will acknowledge is a fairly violent profession. No matter how many violent games I'd played, I was desensitized to nothing when I entered, and it was no different when I deployed.

It sounds like that guy needs to have a sit-down with that California senator and get a clue.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
On one hand, I feel slightly sympathetic for this guy. He's reacting to his own experiences. On the other hand, if this bothers him, he fails as a parrent, and it's still a horribly shitty way to generate police policy.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Then don't let your fucking kid play such a game.

Really, are parents that stupid?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Shycte said:
Then don't let your fucking kid play such a game.

Really, are parents that stupid?
Erm. Yes. I think we've figured that out by now, y'know, Fox News and all.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
As a person with a Psychology degree, failures in understanding correlation and causation on this scale is downright embarrassing.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Actually our hands are sweaty because of the confined space between the controller and our palms, muscle activity in the hands going up, might also have something to do with it, stop jumping to fucking conclusions.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
So, he doesn't stop and think "throughout all existence, being a teenager has meant being a melting pot of chemicals, emotions and a period at which it is noted that people are increasingly violent and childish"?

The increase in violent crime could actually just be explained as there being more teenagers having their hormones kick in.

Of course, very few people actually want to blame "innocent, young children" and instead, must blame an "outside influence".

Books, games, music, movies, anything, they'll try and blame it.
Even though our standing in nature leaves us largely responsible for our own actions.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
That's because he learned all of his information from Hillary Clinton.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Correlation does not equal causation. It's just a coincidence. I might as well say that global warming is caused by the rise of republican politicians in the US.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Tapping buttons, rocking joypads, sliding mouses, pushing analog sticks, and tapping keys = violence.

Yep, that makes sense.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
diode said:
http://www.seanbonner.com/blog/archives/001857.php
you need more detail in your comment (welcome to The Escapist!), but frankly that link actually states my opinion incredibly well.

Or, in the terms of the trolls, "this".