Eidos Montreal Boss Talks Deus Ex 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Eidos Montreal Boss Talks Deus Ex 3

Crystal Dynamics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79292] in Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Eidos Montreal boss Stephane D'Astous has revealed.

"We chose the Crystal engine because we plan to help develop this engine more and then share it back with the rest of the company, the other Eidos [http://www.eidos.com]studios," D'Astous said in an interview with Develop Magazine. "Having that technology from the start gives us a great advantage and foundation for our coders - there are no doubts about the approach, and we have few uncertainties. We just want to all work together on improving the same technology as we develop our game."

He also said that while none of the original development team is working on the new title, the Montreal studio is up to the challenge of making a worthy successor. "All the developers working on Deus Ex 3 pretty much know the series inside and out - coming here, they were pretty aware of the opportunity and what they could do," he said.

"We did our research to find out what worked well, what people enjoyed about it - especially the first game. The second was a success in the eyes of some, but had some ups and downs, so we've tried to identify what worked well in that game. Most importantly, we're extracting what worked well and can be applied now."

The full text of the interview is available here [http://www.developmag.com/interviews/104/QA-Stephane-DAstous-Eidos-Montreal].

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
Stuff and nonsense. If he doesn't have doubts, he's lying, and if he doesn't have uncertainties, he's ignorant. Research is important, but so is being able to articulate why they're even making use of the IP in the first place as well as what that "enjoyment" of the first game entailed. Because there was plenty of anticipation about the second game, right up until the demo release. Having a well-branded IP and a tech engine that works does not mean guaranteed success, especially when the IP has been so tainted.

God I hate interviews like this, because they say absolutely nothing relevant. But by all means, post when they actually have someone at Eidos Montreal who can talk knowledgeably about DX as a game rather than merely a property with "potential." Yet another DX game made poorly is only going to make people angrier.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
J.theYellow said:
Stuff and nonsense. If he doesn't have doubts, he's lying, and if he doesn't have uncertainties, he's ignorant. Research is important, but so is being able to articulate why they're even making use of the IP in the first place as well as what that "enjoyment" of the first game entailed. Because there was plenty of anticipation about the second game, right up until the demo release. Having a well-branded IP and a tech engine that works does not mean guaranteed success, especially when the IP has been so tainted.

God I hate interviews like this, because they say absolutely nothing relevant. But by all means, post when they actually have someone at Eidos Montreal who can talk knowledgeably about DX as a game rather than merely a property with "potential." Yet another DX game made poorly is only going to make people angrier.
I don't see the problem with this piece of PR.
The method he uses is right. The engine works, they want to have more projects run on it, so they're trying to capitalize on its, get people experienced with the tools.
So there's no doubt about building a game on it.
Just as much as it happens for all games though, there are uncertainties about what they can get done right and how they can max out the engine and enhance it.

The reality is that even if it's Eidos, the logic is not flawed, although remaining vague.
Now, who says it will work? He seems to make quite general statements about how to get things right, but I don't see anything terribly wrong with those words.

Truth is, Eidos or not, if they get Deus Ex 3 right, I'll buy it.

The first one wasn't without flaws either. The laggy engine, the horrible boss battles which required no subtlety and were, in fact, very messy, the nanosword that still required four slots in the equipment in spite of the totally folding blade, the Roswell aliens which quite felt a bit out of place, etc.

jimmythenoob

Nov 27, 2007
deus ex was and still is the best game ive ever played...infact i think this thread has just inspired me to play through it for the 8th time, but to me the fact still remains that deus ex 2 just did not live up to its little brothers legend and kind of ruined the first installment a little for me. so while i hope the 3rd one will be great im expecting it to be terrible, well not terrible...just mot nearly as good as the first. i remeber the previews for deus ex 2 and i got way to excited and in the end it turns out it just wasent good enough for me. reading this interview has only lessend my hopes.

goestoeleven

Aug 3, 2007
J.theYellow said:
Having a well-branded IP and a tech engine that works does not mean guaranteed success, especially when the IP has been so tainted.
I know I'm one of the few defenders of Invisible War, but I honestly still really loved it. The gameplay was very flawed compared to the original (which was FAR from perfect), but the intelligent and complex story and paranoid atmosphere were still there.

AS for DX3, I'm really very excited. I'd rather they make it and screw it up than not make it at all. The teaser hinted at an interesting direction for the story. I'll wait for more information before making any more judgements.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
goestoeleven said:
I know I'm one of the few defenders of Invisible War, but I honestly still really loved it. The gameplay was very flawed compared to the original (which was FAR from perfect), but the intelligent and complex story and paranoid atmosphere were still there.
Which did you like better in the intelligent and complex story, the coffee shop chain war or the interactive holo-starlet who turns out to be a total ***** when you meet her in person?

I won't ever disparage anyone for liking a game, but I guess this is akin to what Yahtzee felt about Tomb Raider getting moved to a different studio that's actually still in operation rather than one that dissolved after running its IP into the ground. It's even the same publisher we're talking about here.

goestoeleven

Aug 3, 2007
J.theYellow said:
goestoeleven said:
Which did you like better in the intelligent and complex story, the coffee shop chain war or the interactive holo-starlet who turns out to be a total ***** when you meet her in person?
The coffee chain wars were funny, and I thought the whole NG Resonance sub-plot was a clever take on celebrity.

Again, it has nothing on the original, but it's still leaps and bounds beyond most of what passes for story in a lot of games.

mrbunny

Dec 5, 2007
eidos was a great studio that developed some of the best games of its time - including deus ex and someothers, like hitman.
emphasis on the word: 'WAS'.. a great studio

recently eidos has been shovelling out somewhat mediocre games that has not been giving the company the credit it had once reserved. i just seriously hope they do not stuff around with a title like deus ex - one of the best games every to be produced.

goestoeleven said:
AS for DX3, I'm really very excited. I'd rather they make it and screw it up than not make it at all.
and you dont seriously mean that - do you?

alexhayter86

Feb 13, 2007
I'm quite disapointed that Warren Spector will have nothing to do with the game... he masterminded the first one, didn't do much for the 2nd one, and now he's totally out of the picture. Still, doesn't mean there isn't another 'Spector' around the corner.
I didn't like DX2, but only because it was so average compared to the first game that I couldn't help but have a sour taste in my mouth.
Its all up to the efforts of the creative team to decide how good DX3 will be. If they're ambitious, they might pull of a more worthy sequel.
However, my guess is that a start-up business like Eidos Montreal won't be willing to take any risks, financially speaking: they'll want to deliver a game which will appeal to the masses... which is rarely a good thing in my book, considering the masses are simpletons.