ESRB Launches New PSA Campaign In Delaware

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
ESRB Launches New PSA Campaign In Delaware

The Delaware [http://www.esrb.org]to help raise awareness of videogame ratings and encourage their use among parents.

The new campaign will make use of both radio spots airing over the coming weeks as well as billboard and mall kiosks that will be available through December and January. Delaware Lieutenant Governor John Carney and State Representative Helene Keeley joined with ESRB President Patricia Vance to make the announcement kicking off the effort.

"With two sons of my own, I know about the tough decisions parents face today about the media they allow into their homes," Carney said. "The simple fact is that there's no substitute for parental involvement, so it's important that parents play an active role in choosing games for their children. The ESRB ratings help parents ensure that they are bringing home suitable games for their families."

Representative Keeley added, "The ESRB ratings are an effective and informative resource that allows parents to decide if the videogame their child wants is appropriate, and parents should be sure to check the rating each time they consider a game for their child so they know they're choosing one that's right for their age. I'm proud to be participating in the effort to educate parents in our state about the tools at their disposal so they can make informed decisions."

A study released earlier this year by the www.esrb.org [http://www.ftc.gov/].

"While many parents are aware of the ratings, and are making sensible game purchase decisions as a result, there is always more that can and should be done," Vance said. "We hope that these ads will help arm parents with the information they need to make the right choices about the video games they deem appropriate for their children and families."

FanboyInDisguise

Dec 8, 2007
I like what it says in that picture for the ESRB, "Some games are for kids, some aren't."

Isn't that what the defenders of Videogames have been saying from the start...?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
FanboyInDisguise said:
I like what it says in that picture for the ESRB, "Some games are for kids, some aren't."

Isn't that what the defenders of Videogames have been saying from the start...?
Yes. Took some time. It can only go forwards from there, anyway, so that's a plus.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I find it interesting that while some states are making a high-visibility effort to embrace the ESRB and encourage parents to actually make use of the system, others are actively seeking to legislate the sale of videogames to minors. This has been mentioned before during the launch of ESRB PSA campaigns in other states, but I have to wonder why it is in light of what appears to be a growing acceptance of the current rating system, other states are still so determined to demonize games and the people who play them.

FanboyInDisguise

Dec 8, 2007
Simply put? People fear what they do not understand. People demonized Elvis, they demonized rock and roll, and they demonized comics, yet all of these things are now not only accepted but cherished. I can see videogames going the same road, if in their own due time.