S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Developer Considering Move To MMOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Developer Considering Move To MMOG

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. [http://www.gsc-game.com], have said they are giving "serious consideration" to the creation of a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-based MMOG.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177701], which the company said will continue to offer support for the DirectX 8 renderer, "which will let users of weaker machines into the world of S.T.A.L.K.E.R." Owners of newer DirectX 10 video cards will see improvements in the game's visuals, however, as GSC Game World is working to optimize the X-Ray engine for new features and a higher level of detail.

Asked about the possibility of "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Online," the company responded, "We do not quite understand what you mean by "online." If it is the cooperative mode, then no, there will be none. Even at the time of development of the first part of the game we said that a cooperative mode is impossible, since Life Simulation would be different at each computer. Synchronizing it would be practically not doable. If you mean an MMOG, then we are seriously considering it."

The full Q&A, composed of five questions, is available at the GSC Game World S.T.A.L.K.E.R. forum [http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&thm_page=1&thm_id=12609&sec_id=1].

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Stalker itself was supposed to be a 120 players per instance multiplayer game. This talk of how "Even at the time of development of the first part of the game we said that a cooperative mode is impossible," is a complete retcon to what they were saying 5 years ago, fitting snugly into the reason why some dedicated fans decided to tell them to go f**k themselves (that being lying and misleading their fanbase). In the old (pre-release) page they even mistakenly linked to their purported No.1 fan, who had posted a big nice picture of an old lady giving them the finger.

The only good thing GSC have done yet, imo, is Oles Shishkovtsov contribution in "Game Programming Gems 2" back in 2001, when the game "was in the final stages before release". Ha. Mhm.

Sheesh, they should just work on the X-Ray engine and leave game design to the pros.

Even if we do see a STALKER: Clear Sky before 2015, which would be in line with their release schedule thus far, I doubt it will be cause for hair-and-clothes ripping.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Five years is a long time in a development schedule. I'm not so sure that acquiescence to the forces of reality constitutes "lying," to be honest, and STALKER turned out to be a superb product.

And I pray GSC stays away from the MMOG idea. It's a money pit and a death trap, and the world needs another MMOG a whole hell of a lot less than it needs rich, engrossing single-player experiences. Why they would even consider such a move is completely beyond me.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Pigeon_Grenade said:
substance abuse is the answer to 'why'
If you consider fat stacks of cash to be a controlled substance, then yes. Everyone likes the idea of an MMORPG- it's sexy, and the money is big if you can pull it off.

No one stops to think it's almost impossible to get one off the ground.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
I would definitely consider buying the Stalker MMO if they put it out... depending on how they tackle different aspects of the damn MMO game, and it would not be payed in monthly subscriptions.

vede

Dec 4, 2007
Whoa, thread necromancy!

Anyway, it's kind of pointless to reply to the thread, because it's so old and GSC hasn't seemed to say anything about STALKER MMOG. Which would suck anyway, most likely. I mean, STALKER is one of "Best Games in the Universe," but I wouldn't trust it to either manage to not cause its own radioactive disaster from the huge amount of bugs that would be in an MMOG, or to retain a mature MMO community. I'd trust it more on that last part, though, seriously.

Also, apparently I have some weird copy of Shadow of Chernobyl or something, but it didn't have any DRM at all. Not even a CD check. Unless GSC seriously went from not even having a CD check in SoC to limiting the number of installs in CS. Bastards. That's a third of the reason I didn't buy it. The other two were the PC-melting system requirements and lack of sufficient funds. Still, WTF GSC? Install limitations are sort of... really freakishly extreme.

Also, even though STALKER sits among my "Best Games in the Universe," I actually rank it as a relatively mediocre example of the potential that Roadside Picnic had for the video game industry. Too much action, not enough suspense. Sure the suspense was totally awesome when it was there, but it has hardly there. Roadside Picnic + Video Game seems like it would be focused almost entirely on the environment, and the suspense of not being able to accurately predict anything about the world around you.