X-Play Revamps Format

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
X-Play Revamps Format

G4's highest rated show, X-Play, will expand its content coverage at the start of the new year.

Long-running videogame television show X-Play will be expanding its gaming coverage for the new year to include news, interviews with industry icons and previews. As part of the series' relaunch, Adam Sessler has been named G4's Managing Editor for Games Editorial, making him responsible for the show's overall editorial focus.

New show segments include:
[ul]
[li]Tips and Tricks from "Cheat!"- "Cheat!" host Kristen Holt updates gamers with quick guides, secrets and cheats on a weekly basis.[/li]
[li]"The MMO Report"- Casey Schreiner, host of g4tv.com's "MMO Report", discusses the latest news and trends in MMO gaming.[/li]
[li]"X-Play" Gamer Challenges- Viewers will compete for prizes in an ongoing series of game challenges.[/li]
[li]Demos- Gameplay demos will give viewers an exclusive sneak peek at the hottest new games before the titles hit store shelves.[/li]
[/ul]

Sessler stated to GameDaily [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/meet-the-games-press-adam-sessler/71306/?biz=1], "This is the show I've always wanted to do. Obviously I'm very, very deep in games, and I find that many aspects of the industry that are newsworthy are very interesting to cover, and I'd like to get in the middle of it. I happen to like our show's perspective when it comes to reviewing games, and I think we can offer that exact same perspective as to events inside the industry.

"There's still going to be comedy. The tone of the show isn't going to be some grave, severe thing, because at the end of the day this is video games - we're not talking about science or something like that. There will definitely be comedy but it won't be at the expense of all the news and the more hardcore stuff and vice versa."

G4 president Neal Tiles stated, "Over the past few years, the videogame industry has evolved at a rapid pace. The all-new X-Play will provide greater depth of coverage, furthering its role as television's most watched resource for videogames."

TheLostSkeleton

Aug 27, 2007
Nope, still not going to watch Xplay. The fact Adam went out of his way to say the "comedy" is still there is pretty much the number one turn-off for me.

Skits and Adam acting like a 13 year old who forgot to take his ritalin is not my idea of "funny". I'd take a thousand Tommy Tallaricos in Electric Playground than I would one Adam Sessler in Xplay.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I'm going to watch. I love Morgan Webb and Kristen Holt. Although, maybe I'll just DVR it and fast forward through everything with Adam.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
I gave up on that show when I realized it was like the New York Times film reviews. A good rating means it's good, but a bad rating could mean it's still good but failed at being original or pretty enough or something. Also, it sometimes feels like they only played the game for maybe 15 minutes before writing the review and passed it off to interns to actually play enough of the game for the footage they use.

rawlight

Sep 11, 2007
I doubt they revamped the formula enough to make the show not suck. Morgan Webb is teh finesauce, but she's not on the show anymore is she? Too bad. If Adam is the creative director or whatever does that mean he's not going to be on the screen anymore? That could be a definite improvement.

A thousand Tommy Tallaricos? I'm going to have nightmares now...

Gildedtongue

Nov 9, 2007
*brings Sting in here and makes him sing...*
I want my...
I want my...
I want my TechTV...
I want my...
I want my...
I want my TechTV...

voodoo65

Dec 29, 2007
Wait a minute. What's this about Morgan Webb not being on the show? This is sure to be the last season.

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
I rather like Sessler. I think he *gets* what G4 needs, and I personally found the show to be, when it was spot-on, to be HILARIOUS. I can't really watch G4 'cause of my limited cable, but I may check their website more often now.

Annom

Nov 7, 2007
voodoo65 said:
Wait a minute. What's this about Morgan Webb not being on the show? This is sure to be the last season.
Hmm? I didn't see anything about that in the article.

I may watch may not... seem the only times I do watch g4 is when I stumble accost them reviewing a game I am playing or a game I want to play. I really hope they cut back on the reviews and previews of games that everyone knows (will) sucks but provide "comedy". I really prefer reviews on the run.

Mage26

Nov 9, 2007
I've hated X-Play from the moment I first saw it. Adam Sessler bugs the hell out of me, mostly because his jokes are really bad. I stopped liking G4 when they replaced Judgement Day with X-Play and the difference between the shows is that Judgement Day felt like it was being reviewed by gamers while X-play Adam and Morgan sound like they dont play the games they review.

the changes theyre making sound a lot like Attack of the Show (another show I can't stand)