Sid Meier to Receive Game Developers Choice Lifetime Achievement Award

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sid Meier to Receive Game Developers Choice Lifetime Achievement Award

Renowned game designer Sid Meier will be honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2008 Game Developers Choice Awards, taking place at the Game Developers Conference in February.

After breaking into the industry as a co-founder of legendary developer franchises [http://www.mobygames.com/company/microprose-software-inc]of all time.

"Sid Meier has served as one of our industry's greatest role models for more than 25 years, creating fun and intelligent games for a diverse public long before it was popular," said Game Developers Conference Executive Director Jamil Moledina. "Now that the rest of the industry is actively targeting the broader audience, it's fitting to honor him with our highest award and thank him for his continuing example of inspiration for the videogame community."

Meier has been the recipient of numerous awards throughout his career. In 1999, he became the second person (after Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto) to be inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame, and he joined the Computer Museum of America's Hall of Fame in 2002.

The Game Developers Choice Awards ceremony will take place on February 20 at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Further information is available at the Game Developers Conference website [http://www.gamechoiceawards.com/].

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Estranged picture, there. ;)

However, a fitting award for a great man. No matter how much we all think the last two Civ games have been clones of one another.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No word of a lie: The very first two PC games I ever purchased were Gunship and F-19 Stealth Fighter. Bought them together, along with my first PC. Put a lot of hours into those things, and while I certainly admire and respect Sid for everything he's accomplished since, there will always be a special spot in my heart for those early Microprose days.