Brazil Bans Counter-Strike, EverQuest

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brazil Bans Counter-Strike, EverQuest

EverQuest [https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/br.html], on the grounds that the popular games are "harmful to consumers' health."

According to an website [http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hBkj-Bi6dzGMMrid_jOE2PHFsw4g]. The restrictions were initially put into place in October 2007 when Brazilian federal judge Carlos Alberto Simoes ruled the games encouraged "the subversion of public order, were an attack against the democratic state and the law and against public security," but had not been implemented until now.

The report mentions an "adapted version" of Counter-Strike in which gamers play as either a police officer or drug trafficker in the notorious slums of Rio de Janeiro, and also claims that players of both games are "typically teenage boys." No indication was given as to why these two games, both of which have been around since 1999, are being prohibited, or how the ban will be maintained.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
My knee-jerk reaction is "this makes no sense".

Upon further review, this still doesn't make sense. I can understand misplaced concern over the use of Counter-Strike as a trafficking simulation, but EverQuest? Really?

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
xMacx said:
My knee-jerk reaction is "this makes no sense".

Upon further review, this still doesn't make sense. I can understand misplaced concern over the use of Counter-Strike as a trafficking simulation, but EverQuest? Really?
It's harmful to peoples' health, because they decide to stay in all day and play games.

I'm all for this. It's not like it's the peoples' fault. They're addicted! It's like a drug! The companies should be PUNISHED!

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
This works how, exactly? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the piracy rate in Brazil something like 99.999975%? Which means no matter how much they wish to crack down on retail sales of CS, there just isn't that much in the way of retail sales to crack down on.

At least they can implement an injunction on EQ subscription processing. Maybe.