Xbox Live Game Made Free

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Xbox Live Game Made Free

As a way of apologizing for Xbox Live server woes, Microsoft is making one of its downloadable games free.

Sporadic problems prompted a Microsoft official to issue an apology and promise a free title earlier in the month.

"While the service was not completely offline at any given time, we are disappointed in our performance," Marc Whitten wrote in a January 3 community letter. "I would like to take this moment to thank each and every one of you for your patience and understanding as our team has worked around the clock to return the service to a stable state."

In a January 18 follow-up post, a blog maintained by Microsoft's Xbox 360 employees announced the free game will be Undertow, which normally costs 800 MS Points.

An aquatic shooter, it's described as a title that "redefines aquatic based shooters through a mix of high-definition graphics, intuitive controls and multiple modes of game play action."

Interestingly, both paying and non-paying - Gold and Silver - users can download the game for free.

Those who already have the game can contact customer service and try something else.

Source: Gamescore [http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/01/18/UndertowFreeofCharge.aspx]

ArchAnemone

Sep 19, 2007
Well, the Xbox Live issues have interfered with both Gold and Silver members' experiences. When your gamertag is perpetually trying to sign into Xbox Live, a lot of the time it won't let you access anything on either the Game blade or the Community blade, meaning you can't even play games you've already downloaded from XBLA. My wife and I have both had this problem while they were having trouble with XBL (my account is Gold and hers is Silver).

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
I can imagine people thinking in such ways:
"I'd rather be spat in the face by Bill Gates! I didn't ask for a bloody game!"

The questions is who funded the development of Undertow?

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
What the hell?

I just went to download Undertow, figuring that free is better than nothing. I went to XBLA and the game was listed at 800 MP. What the fuck, Microsoft?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Spleenbag said:
What the hell?

I just went to download Undertow, figuring that free is better than nothing. I went to XBLA and the game was listed at 800 MP. What the fuck, Microsoft?
Another bug! So now they owe you two games. Careful, one day you might end getting all the catalogue for free.