de-rez: New Video: The Escapist Film Festival Winner

de-rez

Jan 30, 2008
New Video: The Escapist Film Festival Winner

The Escapist is proud to present the winner of our Film Festival, "The Gamezone: Ghost Recon," a film by Chris Slack.

dannyodwyer

Dec 3, 2007
The captain was the shining star in that. Im not quite sure exactly why, but i laughed quite a lot during that. Well done guys, looking forward to the next installment.

Jack Sheehan

Oct 16, 2007
hmmm. It was poorly acted and the production values are of course, awful. There is however a certain element of solid humour to it. Ill certainly watch the next one. Good job for what you had to work with.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
I got a kick out of the faux-American accents. The captain shouting "Ghost Recaaaown" was the highlight.

Also nice to hear the Frank Klepacki tune making an appearance in there.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Meh. Just... meh. Would watch it only once. Possible best part: "I'm covered with nuclear waste. Argh."
Now, this won the film festival?
Geez.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Maybe I didn't get it because I haven't played Ghost Recon, but it felt racist (tho' that might be a reflection upon the game) and while executed as well as I might expect for an amateur production, I didn't find it to be that illuminating or amusing.

YMMV, of course.

May 17, 2007
Smokescreen said:
Maybe I didn't get it because I haven't played Ghost Recon, but it felt racist (tho' that might be a reflection upon the game) and while executed as well as I might expect for an amateur production, I didn't find it to be that illuminating or amusing.
Yep, the racism is from the game. They milked it for cheap jokes, true, but it's justifiably satire.

I wouldn't be so harsh on a competition entry, but for a contest winner, this really isn't very good. It has potential - the script is nearly funny a few times, the acting is more-or-less in character, the lighting is ok - but the execution as a whole is totally amateur. Sorry if that sounds snobbish; a couple of years of media studies at university will do that to you. :D Seriously though, better movies come out of the average high school media class than this.

It basically lacks disclipline: shots go for too long, a few shots are repeated unnecessarily, the sound levels are horrendously off-balance in places (which killed at least one potentially funny joke, the Team America-style "Mexican" dialogue) and the comic timing is erratic.

This reminded me of a video made for the Nintendo Short Cuts competition, which had a similar video-games-in-real-terms premise, had vaguely similar jokes, was made with the same zero-budget style, had the same number of people and even featured people about the same age as Chris Slack's cronies. But it was tightly edited, had excellent timing, had a much funnier script and far more convincing actors, and as a result was f-ing hilarious where the one above is just lame. Compare the two [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqhAR2t9vMU] and you'll see what I mean; it's well worth your time.

Actually I remember thinking, after I'd gone on to watch all the other youtube videos by the people from that link, "I hope someone picks these guys up to do paid work, I'd love to see more of their stuff". How about it, Escapist? It'd be another thing to keep me coming back, at least.

Doctor Shenanigans

Feb 4, 2008
Seconded on both seeing the other contestants and on giving a serious look at contacting the makes of the Nintendo Short Cuts entry.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I think maybe they should have run all of this past the community before they chosen these guys.

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
I mean i'm not trying to be sad to the De Rez guys or anything, but neither of these videos are any good. Maybe you should do another competition or run the other entrants by the community.

All I know is that it'll be hard to find gold like when you found Zero Punctuation.

Bender1001

Feb 29, 2008
The only part that made me laugh was the Taco Taco Diablo...other than that I don't see how this video won. It just wasn't good.