Red Faction III In The Works

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007

Publisher THQ is looking to resuscitate the Red Faction franchise.

First hinted at in an conference call, the solid announcement of a new Red Faction project was brought up by THQ CEO Brian Farrell yesterday.

Although a sequel was released in 2003 to mixed reviews, it was the original first-person shooter, with its then-revolutionary feature of breakable and penetrable walls, that captured the attention of gamers.

Few details were released about this latest offering, but Farrell did say it is being developed by Volition Studios for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The title is planned for fiscal 2009.

Source: Gamespot.com [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185597.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;5]

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Few details were released about this latest offering, but Farrell did say it is being developed by Volition Studios for the Xbox 360, PS3 and 360.
Hmm....okay.

Red Faction 1 was excellent. Red Faction 2 was horrible......I doubt that I am going to give it another chance.

p014k

Feb 6, 2008
Red Faction 2 has awesome multiplayer. The only thing it was missing was online player. I am really looking forward to see what they'll do with RF3 multiplayer.

However, I do agree, RF1 singleplayer >>>> RF2 singleplayer.

ChaosStep

Dec 28, 2007
Red Faction 1 was genius... i wouldnt say the second was horrible but in comparisson to the original it was lacking.

As much as i want to welcome a new one to the current gen, i'v noticed sequals to older games that are coming out these days are god awfull

Crowbites

Jan 10, 2008
I'd have to agree, Red Faction 2 was awful. Red Faction 1 was my favourite ps2 game for ages until that one came along. To this day I still can't believe how badly they screwed it up. I won't get my hopes up but RF3 could still be good if they take a few steps backwards towards making something more like the original.

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
Junaid Alam said:

Publisher THQ is looking to resuscitate the Red Faction franchise.

First hinted at in an conference call, the solid announcement of a new Red Faction project was brought up by THQ CEO Brian Farrell yesterday.

Although a sequel was released in 2003 to mixed reviews, it was the original first-person shooter, with its then-revolutionary feature of breakable and penetrable walls, that captured the attention of gamers.

Few details were released about this latest offering, but Farrell did say it is being developed by Volition Studios for the Xbox 360 and PS3.
The first thing they need to do is stop calling it revolutionary. The only thing that was revolutionary was the plot about revolutionaries liberating their comrades-in-arms.

The destructive scenary was a ncie touch but it was hardly ground-breaking, hampered as it was by still needing you to follow the linear plot even if you did break through a wall with a grenade instead of opening the door.

One thing I will say is that it was a very enjoyable story in part 1 but part 2 had me stop playing at the point where the inevitable corruption-of-power plot twist which would've put M. Night Shayalaman to shame took hold and the difficulty curve spiked into the upper-atmosphere. I've still got the game save somewhere but I won't be returning to it.. ever.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Byuu. I loved RF1... and wanted to burn RF2 as a heathen and curse upon the face of gaming. *Sigh* I seriously hope they don't do an absolute "Let's screw the fanbase" thing. The game has enormous potential, if they can use the GM properly.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Ah, the revolution returns. I just hope they push the system further and I find away around the invincible remaining doors.