Wii Games Rated More Poorly Than Counterparts

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Wii Games Rated More Poorly Than Counterparts

Comparing the critical reception of software across the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii, a Next Gen staffer came to the conclusion that the Wii's titles received the poorest ratings of the bunch.

Mining data from GameRankings, Matt Matthews found the average review score of Wii titles was 64 percent, compared to 70 percent for the 360 and 73 percent for the PS3.

Taking a closer look at the numbers, which showed a spread of only a few percentage points, he then compared only the top 10 percent of each system's games.

That test confirms the Wii's last-place position, with the console coming in a few percentage points behind the 360 and PS3.

A longer-term trend comparing performance to older consoles did not appear to inspire confidence, either.

Nonetheless, the analysis is far from definitive, not taking into account unquantifiable factors.

"Maybe Wii games have lower review scores because we, as an industry, still don't know what makes a good Wii game," Matthews speculated.

Source: Next-gen.biz [http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9066&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=2]

MrKeroChan

Oct 3, 2007
"Maybe Wii games have lower review scores because we, as an industry, still don't know what makes a good Wii game," Matthews speculated.

or for years and years now, reviewers and developers have only counted polygons...and mo' polygons does not a good game make... it's not just with Wii titles...it started way earlier than that...Gamecube games were ALWAYS given lower scores than the exact same game on say the Xbox...

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
A lot of this has to do with the fact that the Wii has become VERY popular and all of these "cheap" developers are just cashing in, it happens all the time when a certain console reaches certain levels of popularity.

renard

Feb 5, 2008
well, counting on than most wii games are ps2 ports it's easy that most of wii games suck impresively. For example, splinter cell: double agent for the wii was awful. those textures looked like 8-bit/16-bit textures... even SC: chaos theory on the gamecube looked long way better...

The only company which is making good games on both, gameplay and graphics, fields for the wii is nintendo itself and some few more like sega...

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
MrKeroChan said:

or for years and years now, reviewers and developers have only counted polygons...and mo' polygons does not a good game make... it's not just with Wii titles...it started way earlier than that...Gamecube games were ALWAYS given lower scores than the exact same game on say the Xbox...
Once again you sum up the entire Nintendo fanboy argument.
LESS POLYGONS MAKES GAMES MORE AWESOME!

Look, I realize graphics don't add to a game all that much, but that doesn't mean that the ones with graphics up the kazoo don't also have a good gameplay formula.

I agree with the article writer though...as popular as it is, the Wii just isn't working. None of the games that have really used the wiimote have resulted in anything fantastic. You could argue Metroid Prime 3 or Resident Evil 4, but I could argue back that those could have been done even BETTER on the PC.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
renard said:
well, counting on than most wii games are ps2 ports it's easy that most of wii games suck impresively. For example, splinter cell: double agent for the wii was awful. those textures looked like 8-bit/16-bit textures... even SC: chaos theory on the gamecube looked long way better...

The only company which is making good games on both, gameplay and graphics, fields for the wii is nintendo itself and some few more like sega...
Nahh I don't think SEGA is any good. Capcom has done a decent job, but other than that NINTENDO seems to be the only company doing something worthwhile.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Katana314 said:
I agree with the article writer though...as popular as it is, the Wii just isn't working. None of the games that have really used the wiimote have resulted in anything fantastic. You could argue Metroid Prime 3 or Resident Evil 4, but I could argue back that those could have been done even BETTER on the PC.
I agree with ya there. but you cant really say that the Wii isn't working because it works fine.

At the end of the day you cant blame the tool you can only really blame the blacksmith. (in other words the developers). And i gotta say, its a shame that they are wasting such a brilliant tool which has quite limitless potential.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Katana314 said:
MrKeroChan said:

Look, I realize graphics don't add to a game all that much, but that doesn't mean that the ones with graphics up the kazoo don't also have a good gameplay formula.

The wii is working just fine and IT HAS GREAT GAMES WITH GREAT GRAPHICS ON IT. It's true that let's say 60% of the games suck elephant balls but those that are done from the bottom up exclusively for wii end up being very good games. And you can argue this all you want but in NO WAY would MP3: Corruption be better on the PC, it was created FOR THE WII WITH THE WII HARDWARE IN MIND (yeah the controlls would be dismal on a PC, not to mention the overall feel of the game) and RE 4 on PC SUCKS BIG TIME. Games like MP3: C and MoH Heroes 2 have proved that the Wii remote IS IN FACT more accurate and intuitive than a gamepad for FPS games. Again, blame the dev's, there the ones who can't (or don't want to) figure out how to make decent games on the Wii.

ZergInfestedJesus

Oct 31, 2007
Katana314 said:
MrKeroChan said:

AHHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA, Resident evil 4 on the pc was horrible. As for your argument, You could say any system game would be better on the pc.
Also Zack and Wiki( this years okami) Uses the wiimote remarkably well.
Every year its the common fact,. the most popular system has the most shovelware.
Look at the chart from the source, In first place last gen was the xbox, then gamecube, then ps2. We all know that order should be reversed in number of quality games, its just that the ps2 got the most shovelware.

MaraN88

Jan 14, 2008
I love wii and I think the biggest reason is that the games suit me. No not the crappy 70% of wii games But those really good Mario, Metroid, Zack & Wiki, Zelda etc.

I honsetly don't think you could use these numbers against the wii since it doesent consider the fact that PS3 currently has 2 games out (Yes i'm exadurating) and most Xbox 360 are one shooter game but with different covers and they are often released on PC to early to be called xbox 360 games.(Is bioshock included in the study?)

SniperFox1

Feb 13, 2008
MrKeroChan said:

I registered just because of this comment. It's completely wrong. They were not rated down because of visuals. If anything, the Gamecube versions had the second best visuals of the 3 systems. Not as good as the Xbox, but better than the PS2's.

They were rated down because they ultimately were missing features that the other versions had: Namely, online multiplayer. Not only that, but the controller just wasn't all that great either. Not to mention, games often suffered from simplistic controls because of that controller.

The Gamecube had some good games, but they were all first/second party titles. The 3rd party titles just weren't as good as their PS2/Xbox counterparts. Simple as that.

The same thing is happening with the Wii right now. The first party titles are excellent games, the 3rd party titles? Not so much. They are watered down versions of their next gen counterparts, usually with what feels like tacked on motion controls. Some times they work, but more often than not the games would be better suited to a normal controller.

Also, just take a look at what the Wii games are: If they aren't a Mario, Zelda, Metroid, or any spinoff version of those franchises, then they are a watered down port of either a PS3/360, or a slightly upgraded port of a PS2 title, if not a collection of minigames.

Now, if Nintendo could get 3rd party developers to stop just porting games, and start developing like it's a real system, things could get better, but as it stands right now, the system just isn't doing what it should.

Glitches are cool

Feb 13, 2008
The unfortunate thing about the Wii is the marketing campaign, which is why I think the third party doesn't really care to work that hard at the system. The Wii is currently being marketed as "family friendly," if the slogan/adverts are any indication. Third party developers look at it and go, "Ew."

There's also the controller system. While the Xbox and PS2/3 both share similar control schemes, Nintendo went and did something rather inventive for this era. Being inventive is backfiring on them, as those third party guys don't want to spend more than five minutes working on making the game work with the Wiimote. This is why the first party games work; they're being made with the remote in mind.

It's a shame too, because I bet there are many multi-platform games that would function great on the Wii. Granted, it would probably not have the same blow-you-away graphics that the 360 and PS3 could pump out, but the graphics don't always make the game.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Glitches are cool said:
It's a shame too, because I bet there are many multi-platform games that would function great on the Wii. Granted, it would probably not have the same blow-you-away graphics that the 360 and PS3 could pump out, but the graphics don't always make the game.
I haven't really seen anything graphic wise from the 360 or the ps3 that have blown me away as of yet, and to say that they wouldn't be as visually great as the other two I cant see where your coming from. Not flaming ya just stating an opinion against yours..heh

Lonely Soldier

Feb 14, 2008
I think the shovelware is also particularly bad because of the relative cheapness of developing for the Wii. Couple that with the broader demographic - of people who have less experience or lower expectations of what a game "should" (or can) be - and you've got massive potential for sales for apalling games which would never have gotten off the ground without the very cheap (relatively speaking) development kits.

Annom

Nov 7, 2007
I see a lot of devs making wondering whats the best way to use the wii mote right now, and to be honest I think that will continue for a few years unless some developer nails a control scheme. If the wii is to get really solid 3rd party games the developers really need to look past the entire mini game thing, although I do think wii sports/raving rabbits is one of the funnest games I've played I'm not sold on buying the wii to get wii sports/raving rabbits.

Now I may get someone quoting this saying something along the lines of "YOU AN IDIOT!!!!!! AND YOUR WRONG OMG NO!!!!! THE WII IS LIK TOTAL TOUCHED BY THE HAND OF GOD!!!!!!!" but I'm alright with that, as zero puncuation bring good reviews and joy, it also infest this site with people of... the... lesser intelligence. Any who.. I'm not at all impressed with the wii as it stacks up to the other consoles, I could see young children getting hours of fun out of it, and I could see people who live eat breath and die Nintendo loving it, and I know its outselling the other two consuls "LIK 100000 to 1!!!!!" but me being the witty, ruggedly good looking 23 year old I am I'm looking for something a little more.

So flame me.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Annom said:
Now I may get someone quoting this saying something along the lines of "YOU AN IDIOT!!!!!! AND YOUR WRONG OMG NO!!!!! THE WII IS LIK TOTAL TOUCHED BY THE HAND OF GOD!!!!!!!" but I'm alright with that, as zero puncuation bring good reviews and joy, it also infest this site with people of... the... lesser intelligence. Any who.. I'm not at all impressed with the wii as it stacks up to the other consoles, I could see young children getting hours of fun out of it, and I could see people who live eat breath and die Nintendo loving it, and I know its outselling the other two consuls "LIK 100000 to 1!!!!!" but me being the witty, ruggedly good looking 23 year old I am I'm looking for something a little more.

So flame me.
As someone older than you, I have only one thing to say. The Wii has 'No More Heroes'. It is more intelligent, fun, and witty than any other game on any other console. And the Wii gets you chicks. In droves, in flocks. They love it like they love Sex & the City. So, owning a Wii right now, neither my dick nor my brain can complain.

Shadow Link

Nov 22, 2007
When I used to play the X360, I used to be happy and excited but also hoping it wouldn't die. The day came and I got it repaired, shortly after I purchased the Wii. Booted up Zelda: TP and fell in love with the Wii-Mote. Then came Halo 3, I put that in my X360 but I just couldn't use the controller, Several times whilst playing I even tried to pull the controller in half because I wasn't used to it, but I just didn't like it (Me waving my X360 controller about like an idiot). After using the Wii-Mote, I just can't get back to using any other controller, that is how good I find the Wii controller, it truly is a revolutionary design.

Now a lot of people are over seeing this and objecting it, "No I hate the Wii Mote" or "I just don't like it", now I can agree it takes some time to get used to just like wanking with the other hand but once you do get used to it, it's perfect.

However as discussed, 3rd party developers need to get back into gear, if Rareware are going to split from microsoft as rumored, they'll go straight to Nintendo and pull it out of the dirt as they did with the N64.

renard

Feb 5, 2008
SniperFox1 said:
They were rated down because they ultimately were missing features that the other versions had: Namely, online multiplayer. Not only that, but the controller just wasn't all that great either. Not to mention, games often suffered from simplistic controls because of that controller.

The Gamecube had some good games, but they were all first/second party titles. The 3rd party titles just weren't as good as their PS2/Xbox counterparts. Simple as that.

The same thing is happening with the Wii right now. The first party titles are excellent games, the 3rd party titles? Not so much. They are watered down versions of their next gen counterparts, usually with what feels like tacked on motion controls. Some times they work, but more often than not the games would be better suited to a normal controller.

Also, just take a look at what the Wii games are: If they aren't a Mario, Zelda, Metroid, or any spinoff version of those franchises, then they are a watered down port of either a PS3/360, or a slightly upgraded port of a PS2 title, if not a collection of minigames.

Now, if Nintendo could get 3rd party developers to stop just porting games, and start developing like it's a real system, things could get better, but as it stands right now, the system just isn't doing what it should.
1st: online multiplaying? you must fucking kiding me: mario strikers has online mode, guitar hero III too, on rayman raving rabbids 2 and mario&sonic at the olympic games you can put your records online and there are even rankings... Anyway online gaming on consoles sucks hard since you have to pay an extra amount of money, thing that it's free on the wii.

Moreover: onlinemultiplaying + patches for games + obligatory instalation of games on the HDD?
somebody said computer? no, I was talking about the ps3...

2nd: the gamecube had really good 3rd party games: time splitter's series, resident evil 4(best version of the past generation), resident evil 0, tales of symphonia, star wars: rouge leader, mgs: the twin snakes, soul calibur 2...

3rd: monsterhunter 3 was exclusive for ps3 and now has gone exclusive for the wii (online gameplay mode included), a company is trying to use unreal engine 3 on the wii (and I'm sure they will make it. No more heroes, dragon quest swords, SW: force unleashed, spore, okami...

Just wait and see...

GrowlersAtSea

Nov 14, 2007
I wonder if this speaks more to the disconnect between what's becoming the average gamer and the video game press (which has a plethora of issues already). Wii Play was the second best selling game last year, and has some really bad reviews out there. On the PC end of things you see games like the Sims expansion packs beat out games like Bioshock,which didn't even touch the top 10 in sales last year on the PC.

I guess it might be coming down to that annoying 'hardcore vs casual' argument that has been coming up more and more in the last couple years. Even with the groups so vaguely defined, it's hard to not consider game reviewers to be a very hardcore group, especially those who have been writing for a long time.

You have to wonder as to their relevance really as the game market expands beyond it's traditional demographics and reviewers speak for a smaller and smaller portion of people who buy games.