EA CEO: We Squandered Acquired Studios

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
EA CEO: We Squandered Acquired Studios

Video game publishing behemoth Electronic Arts has issued the closest thing to a mea culpa as of yet for devouring - some would say destroying - a series of independent developers.

"I think that the idea that you're going to have a top-down process that uses a lot of centralized tools to try and build a common brand with a lot of centralized creative calls is just not a good idea," John Riccitiello, EA's top man, said in a New York Times interview last week about his company's acquisition of outside talent. "It could certainly make for a great case study at Harvard if it worked, but I just don't think it works."

Riccitiello, who reportedly fleshed out his position in a meeting with financial analysts last week, made a startlingly candid admission about EA's record that will certainly come as a surprise to many veteran gamers who have held a long grudge against the company.

"There is no question that Origin and Westwood and Bullfrog don't exist today, and you don't generally buy things in order to close them," Riccitiello said. "Those deals obviously didn't work the way we anticipated. The leaders in those organizations got set up where they thought we were bringing in a bureaucracy. We were bringing in centralized tools and technology that homogenized the output and slowed them down. They weren't listened to."

The NY Times piece indicates Riccitiello "is promising a new path" that pays greater attention to the creative talent than abstract business-school based models.

"You can't just buy people and attempt to apply some business school synergy to them," Riccitiello said. "It just doesn't work."

Source: NYTimes.com [http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/arts/television/19game.html]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
If hes being sincere, perhaps EA might start going back to the origional business plan of putting the developers first, rather than the homogenous blob it has become. Good to hear

CharlesVI

Nov 15, 2007
If only everyone took some time to think about what a monumental retard they are what a nice world this would be, even if it took him a while to get around to it he still manages to get respect in my oppinion. Am I the only person who kinda gets warm and fuzzy reading this or am I just strange?

redlamp

Dec 21, 2007
I'm in shock? because this sounds like the little prayers I make at night may have been heard. Maybe there is a god of video games, and maybe he doesn't hate us for worshipping.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I hold EA personally responsible for the fact that I'm not playing Dungeon Keeper 3, Syndicate 3, or Kyrandia 4 right now. They have a lot of redeeming to do.

Chilango2

Oct 3, 2007
It is tempting to dismiss this as too little, too late, and certainly, EA has a lot of well justified distrust to recover from, but at least it can be hoped for that this new direction is now just smoke and mirrors and EA will stop working as an active and energetic force of Evil, as it were.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
EA seems to be making an effort in trying to change the way things are done in the company, they have made multiple anouncements about doing things diffirently (witch can only be an improvemen). In the press release regarding Starbreeze working together to make a game from a classic franchise the language was very clear on how EA was "handing over the keys" and how "Starbreeze was joining the family".

Naturaly this is EA trying to redeem its brand name and there might be a chance that they still will just abuse the companies they bought, but there is nowhere they can go but up, right?

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
sammyfreak said:
Naturaly this is EA trying to redeem its brand name and there might be a chance that they still will just abuse the companies they bought, but there is nowhere they can go but up, right?
If they ruin Bioware, I'd consider that going down even further... especially since Riccitiello orchestrated the whole buyout in the craftiest of ways.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Echolocating said:
sammyfreak said:
If they ruin Bioware, I'd consider that going down even further... especially since Riccitiello orchestrated the whole buyout in the craftiest of ways.
I gues your right, but if they do murder will happen!

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
CharlesVI said:
If only everyone took some time to think about what a monumental retard they are what a nice world this would be, even if it took him a while to get around to it he still manages to get respect in my opinion. Am I the only person who kinda gets warm and fuzzy reading this or am I just strange?
Well if that does make you strange, then you're not alone. It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that, with the industry saturated with rushed games and corporate greed, the poster-child for companies releasing games before they're ready is seeking to reform itself.

I'm getting flashbacks to the EA of the 90's. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go look for my copy of Soviet Strike now.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's definitely too little, but it's never too late - which means there's always time for him to grow the "too little" into something of genuine substance. I'm honestly shocked that he would invoke the names of Origin, Bullfrog and Westwood but it also gives me hope that maybe he's serious about all this.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Malygris said:
I'm honestly shocked that he would invoke the names of Origin, Bullfrog and Westwood but it also gives me hope that maybe he's serious about all this.
I thought the same thing too, but then I just figured that's what Riccitiello wants us to think... so I'm not holding my breath. I guess we'll find out if he can walk the walk in the next 3 or 4 years. ;-)

Drong

Oct 31, 2007
what with this and their response to the mass effect thing i do actually now see a glimmer of hope from EA, nobody is beyond redemption but for their sins they still have alot of time to pay back in purgetory yet, but i for one will be keeping my fingers crossed, it would be nice if i could buy an EA game without feeling a little guilt about the amount of talent they have snuffed out.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
It's very interesting to see the changes in EA's behaviour after their executive shuffle and recent buyouts. I'm skeptical, but still hoping for a return to the '80s EA that had both commercial *and* critical success without the "death-cult" corporate culture.

-- Steve

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
They can speak whatever language, only their actions will matter. They want to reacquire some fresh workforce to make more stuff, because they've realized they were starting to drag a tad.

You truly think they'll drop the corporate working methods which exhaust any soul working for them? One can only hope.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Wow... to think just how little has changed with EA's bullshittery over the past four years and how much hope some of us Escapists had that things might finally be turning around with EA. If this isn't proof that EA will never improve, then I don't know what is.

Off topic: Yes, I did just necro this thread; and no, I'm not trolling. I just got linked to this and was taken back by the optimism in EA here.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
"There is no question that Origin and Westwood and Bullfrog don't exist today, and you don't generally buy things in order to close them," Riccitiello said. "Those deals obviously didn't work the way we anticipated. The leaders in those organizations got set up where they thought we were bringing in a bureaucracy. We were bringing in centralized tools and technology that homogenized the output and slowed them down. They weren't listened to."
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me three times, shame on me.

They still haven't learned their lesson, even after all this time.