OCZ Neural Impulse Controller Coming Soon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
OCZ Neural Impulse Controller Coming Soon

OCZ [http://www.ocztechnology.com/]is preparing to bring its Neural Impulse Actuator to market, saying production of its new brain-powered controller could begin as soon as next week.

Dubbed "nia," the device appeared at the "biopotentials" [http://www.cesweb.org/default.asp] - activity in the brain, autonomous nervous system and muscles - captured by sensors located on the nia's headband.

Users have a "reasonably fine granularity of control," according to an Overclock3D [http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?/input_devices/ocz_prepares_neural_impulse_actuator_for_shipping_next_week/1]report, and after a period of adjustment requires very little conscious thinking in order to use. Use of the device at its full potential will require significant amounts of training, but OCZ claims the nia can cut reaction times by as much as 60 percent over a conventional mouse controller.

OCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator will be showcased at CeBIT [http://www.cebit.de/homepage_e], the world's largest computer and technology expo, running from March 4-9 in Hannover, Germany. The controller is expected to launch at roughly $300, and will include detailed instructions on its effective use.

AdventSugar

Mar 3, 2008
So the nintendo power glove is back and better then ever ((lol))

No but seriously. If they can pull it off it will be amazing.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Very cool. I'm skeptical of the learning curve and the time it takes to exceed what a regular controller allows you to do... if it will at all. Nevertheless, it's a great step forward and will open up gaming to those with disabilities.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I dont get it, is it supposed to read your nerve system, your movement or some other wierd thing.

sma_warrior

Jan 23, 2008
sammyfreak said:
I dont get it, is it supposed to read your nerve system, your movement or some other wierd thing.
Basically, your brain thinks through any movement through before you do them, and this reads those thoughts and responds on screen accordingly.

felltablet

Nov 12, 2007
Echolocating said:
Very cool. I'm skeptical of the learning curve and the time it takes to exceed what a regular controller allows you to do... if it will at all. Nevertheless, it's a great step forward and will open up gaming to those with disabilities.
Gaming for those with disabilities?
Gaming?
At a cheap $300, If I was paralyzed, this would open up a world of other possibilities, not just gaming.

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
Maybe I'm just a cynic, but for some reason I see this thing either directly or indirectly leading to the deaths of us all.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
well i already posted about this butno one saw it i guess. so here were my comments about it

so raise your hand if you want to play a video game with your mind. yeah thats what i thought. so here you go later this year for $300 you will be able too. alright awesome or totally lame powerglove type thing? im just really excited cause i didnt know there were things out there we could control with our minds. i thought it was gonna be sci fi for another 10 years or so. but here it is. http://www.emotiv.com/ holy crap!

DaMunky89

Aug 15, 2007
Huh, I thought the same thing when I first saw it.
It'll either be awesome, or it'll be totally useless and unresponsive, pretty much the Power Glove of this day and age.

Either way, I think 50/50 shot it causes brain tumors. *rolls eyes* I'll end up trying it anyway though.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Echolocating said:
felltablet said:
Gaming for those with disabilities?
Gaming?
At a cheap $300, If I was paralyzed, this would open up a world of other possibilities, not just gaming.
There are other things besides gaming?! Blasphemer! You're lucky you're not banned for such heresy.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
There were a couple things like this at GDC this year. Very very cool stuff. What I'm worried about it couch potatoes REALLY becoming couch potatoes! At least you burn 2 calories per hour moving a mouse around or your thumbs...what now! FATNESS ON THE WAY!

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
As an engineer, I really must say this makes me giddy with the possibilities.

This is just the first step - for now, simplistic commands such as movement within an (x,y) grid, but imagine being able to communicate with a computer in such a way.

Even more disturbing though, imagine the computer communicating back.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
BlueMage said:
As an engineer, I really must say this makes me giddy with the possibilities.

This is just the first step - for now, simplistic commands such as movement within an (x,y) grid, but imagine being able to communicate with a computer in such a way.

Even more disturbing though, imagine the computer communicating back.
The Matrix is upon us.