Valve Wants Console Team Fortress 2 Maps to Stay Free

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Wants Console Team Fortress 2 Maps to Stay Free

PlayStation 3 [http://www.valvesoftware.com/]as free downloadable content.

Speaking to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93883], Valve's Doug Lombardi said downloadable maps for the console versions of the popular FPS would be coming in bundles, but that Valve was still attempting to have them released at no charge. "For free, definitely, as much as we can," he said, when asked if the bundling would affect the cost of the maps. "You know, we don't have full say over that, but we have some say over how that works."

"So, for us, for free is the way to go," he continued. "The gamers play the game, they want to keep playing the game, so we've collected their fifty bucks at the start, and once they're in the park, they can ride any ride they want in the park. So, for us that's been the philosophy."

That philosophy comes from Valve's roots as a PC developer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life], where extra content including maps and mods are typically available at no extra cost, and Lombardi said the good public relations created by such generous post-purchase support is also a driving factor. "For us, we see it as an investment on our next product. Gamers won't hesitate when they see a game coming out from Valve," he said. "They'll think, "I've heard of this but will it be worth my money?" We want to take that off the table."

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Cheers to them! The original TF2 maps are becoming boring and Microsoft points are just annoying.

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
"The gamers play the game, they want to keep playing the game, so we've collected their fifty bucks at the start, and once they're in the park, they can ride any ride they want in the park. So, for us that's been the philosophy."

And that's what makes them great - not trying to extract repeating payments or push a subscription service, just selling a game and making it awesome.

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
Man I love these guys. They seem to really know how to make business work for them and their customers. Make great games, and then support them well, with the interests of their players in mind.
I wonder if Microsoft will make a price, however small, mandatory for such downloadable content though.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
They see ways to exploit the people... and the go the other direction. These guys are so cool. I wish they start a trend like this.

Jan 22, 2008
Why does it seem that every single thing valve says just makes me love them more and more. It might just be an example of justified fanboyism. They're genuinely nice, intelligent people who dont have a drop of greed in their souls (well, trace elements, sure. but who doesnt?).

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
While I agree with everything that has been said above, I have to admit I'm still a little pissed with Valve for dropping the Black Box. The idea that all the existing PC fans will buy a second copy of HL2 and Ep1 was ludicrous. Even Yahtzee comments on this in his Zero Punctuation review.

Valve: they've given an unprecedented amount of support to their fans since the launch of Half-Life, they have created an amazing series of games, they have developed a direct way of getting new games and they continue to improve their services.
On the other hand, they did shaft the majority of their fanbase by making them rebuy HL2.

I still applaud everything they are doing, just not as loudly as I used to...

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
They didn't shaft their customers by including HL2, that was included so new people could play it, you guys with it paid for TF2, ep1 nd 2 and Portal.

To me, Portal or TF2 alone were worth the price of admission, and if they'd bundled Half Life 1 in with it, I wouldn't have been complaining that I already had it.

As for MS and Sony, I can't see them being at all happy with allowing free stuff to get thru their networks to customers (no, not gamers, customers), when Valve could have charged and therefore got them a cut. If they see sense and let Valve do what they want, then it'll be a great thing, however.

As an owner of the PC version of TF2, I'm consistently amazed at how much free stuff they've thrown at it, its like they've already added enough to warrant and expansion pack, for nothing.

When Ep3 and Portal 2, and ...something else make up the Turquoise Box, I won't be wondering if it'll be worth it, that's for sure.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
SenseOfTumour post=7.55265.789040 said:
They didn't shaft their customers by including HL2, that was included so new people could play it, you guys with it paid for TF2, ep1 nd 2 and Portal.

To me, Portal or TF2 alone were worth the price of admission, and if they'd bundled Half Life 1 in with it, I wouldn't have been complaining that I already had it.

As for MS and Sony, I can't see them being at all happy with allowing free stuff to get thru their networks to customers (no, not gamers, customers), when Valve could have charged and therefore got them a cut. If they see sense and let Valve do what they want, then it'll be a great thing, however.

As an owner of the PC version of TF2, I'm consistently amazed at how much free stuff they've thrown at it, its like they've already added enough to warrant and expansion pack, for nothing.

When Ep3 and Portal 2, and ...something else make up the Turquoise Box, I won't be wondering if it'll be worth it, that's for sure.
It's ep 3, Portal 2 and Counterstrike 2, and I think something else that hasn't been announced

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
SenseOfTumour post=7.55265.789040 said:

I think the MS ones are already going to have to be paid for, or am I thinking about the Class Updates?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Deathlyphil post=7.55265.403512 said:
While I agree with everything that has been said above, I have to admit I'm still a little pissed with Valve for dropping the Black Box. The idea that all the existing PC fans will buy a second copy of HL2 and Ep1 was ludicrous. Even Yahtzee comments on this in his Zero Punctuation review.
I think some people lose perspective with Valve. I fail to see the logic in complaining when a package contains two extra games, but for no increase in cost and on top of all the new content you were paying for anyway. Even if you already own them thousands don't. Can you see EA ever offering such a good deal?

Anyway, more power to Valve for trying to help console players. Sadly I can see some lawyers making big scary contract rumblings...

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
If I was Valve I'd be seriously pissed that Sony and MS were effectively forcing me to screw my own customers tho.

MS and Sony had better at least allow the updates cheap, if they can't see all the benefits of letting them slide thru free.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
MalevolentStaircase said:
I would gladly pay 20 bucks to get some new content, or at least get rid of the hackers on PS3.
You do realize that this thread is two and a half years old, right?

MalevolentStaircase

Mar 21, 2010
UltimatheChosen said:
MalevolentStaircase said:
I would gladly pay 20 bucks to get some new content, or at least get rid of the hackers on PS3.
You do realize that this thread is two and a half years old, right?

Then why are you on it? I didn't know. My point is still valid, right? Right????!

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Wait... now there's TF2 support for PS3?
Oh well.. too late, already sold The Orange Box for my PS3 once it became available for Macintosh.

Though this shows just how good Valve is... even if they are busy doing this instead of... I don't know... Half-life 2 episode 3 or something like that.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Zarthek said:
Wait... now there's TF2 support for PS3?
Oh well.. too late, already sold The Orange Box for my PS3 once it became available for Macintosh.

Though this shows just how good Valve is... even if they are busy doing this instead of... I don't know... Half-life 2 episode 3 or something like that.
edit: Oops.. forgot to see initial date.. how foolish of me.