Rumors Swirl Around Wii-Like Controller For Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumors Swirl Around Wii-Like Controller For Xbox 360

Rumors of a Microsoft [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Remote]" giving confirmation of the project.

The device was initially reported by Rare [http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1584945/20080407/id_0.jhtml]given the task of coming up with a unified interface and "look" for the device.

Wii [http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/jake_xbox_360_newton_motion_sensing_controller_confirmed.php]controller, the Microsoft device will also support rumble motors, wireless two-way communication and a built-in microphone.

When contacted about the device, a Microsoft spokesman said the company "does not comment on rumors and speculation."

Psykoo

Apr 9, 2008
I dont believe this, the wii brought a new age of playing too our world and homes and now microsoft are producing a 'similar' but 'better' controler which will be exactly the same, giving the xbox 360 one aspect of gaming that only thw wii had. This is rediculous, thats just un-gaming-sportsmanship-like if that makes sence. I dont know why but im raging with fury against microsoft now, is it safe to say that microsoft are 'stealing' everything these days?, because im beginning to sigh when i look at a xbox 360 now, and i will hold this against microsoft forever if the controler does actually go into production. *is really sad :(*

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
Why is it such a big deal? Sony already did it with their controller. And Microsoft are a business that will obviously want to keep ahead in the market. If Nintendo are dominating why wouldn't they try and "up their game". The wii is welling more after all isn't it?

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Malygris said:
Along with functionality similar to that of the Wii controller, the Microsoft device will also support rumble motors, wireless two-way communication and a built-in microphone.
Don't forget the combination bottle-can opener accessory built-in for your favourite frosty beverage and cat food.

In truth I wouldn't doubt at all that the Xbox team would be looking at a motion controller of some sort given the Wii's success. Heck, I'd consider buying one should it come out if the games that support it were worthwhile. (I've got a good idea for one, off the top of my head... how about Gabe's Photoshop Hero as described in Penny Arcade? (Well, more of an Okami clone really.)

Whether this particular rumour is worth the paper it ain't printed on is another matter, though.

-- Steve

mwhite67

Mar 19, 2008
One of these companies should just go ahead and finally release a 3d VR headset based interface and destroy the competition. Thats what everyone really wants

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Gah, guess this will turn the 360 into another novelty craptastic console.

To the PS3 shop!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Frapple said:
Gah, guess this will turn the 360 into another novelty craptastic console.

To the PS3 shop!
*cough*SIXAXIS*cough* If you want to flee motion controls, don't stop there.

-- Steve

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Wii relies solely on Motion Sensitivity and Sony stopped any support after deciding to copy Nintendo(Liar and other shit games using a half-assed feature anyone?) so with the right marketing tactics, Microsoft should be able to pull this off.

Psykoo

Apr 9, 2008
Apone said:
Why is it such a big deal? Sony already did it with their controller. And Microsoft are a business that will obviously want to keep ahead in the market. If Nintendo are dominating why wouldn't they try and "up their game". The wii is welling more after all isn't it?
I was too harsh on my first comment lol, after thinking it through its all about buisness, the only negative thing you could say about it is that the design will be insanely similar, but theres nothing wrong in microsoft producing a motion sensor remote like the ps3 and wii, the xbox 360 is just behind like it was with the normal xbox, but in this case its with the motion sensor tech.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
If Microsoft wants to be so lazy, then I say let them. I mean, forget the fact that the Wii's motion sensor feature isn't the main draw the console has over the other two. >_>

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I just heard the sound of a thousand screaming Xbox Live players crying out in unison. Isn't this going to MASSIVELY upset the balance of FPS games? I mean, my Grandma could score a headshot on Metroid Prime: Corruption. The skill barrier just dropped past the floor, into the basement, and busted out over in China.

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
Indigo_Dingo said:
JakubK666 said:
Wii relies solely on Motion Sensitivity and Sony stopped any support after deciding to copy Nintendo(Liar and other shit games using a half-assed feature anyone?) so with the right marketing tactics, Microsoft should be able to pull this off.
How did they copy the Wii? While the Wii relies upon a light sensitive reader on top of the tv and a light-emmiting remote, the Ps3 relies on motion sensors within the controller itself. The principles completely different here, as is its usage.
Wrong. Wii = SIXAXIS motion sensors + primitive camera in the wiimote to detect the light emitting bar (it actually doesn't sense anything). The motion sensors are extremely similar between the SIXAXIS and the wiimote. However, the wiimote has additional pointer functionality.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
quote]How did they copy the Wii? While the Wii relies upon a light sensitive reader on top of the tv and a light-emmiting remote, the Ps3 relies on motion sensors within the controller itself. The principles completely different here, as is its usage.
The Wii uses both the light sensors and motion sensors within the controller. My guess is that's why he thinks that Sony copied the Nintendo idea.

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
I'm all for Microsoft trying it out. They're good at copying people so it could work. I'm skeptical about how successful they will be at convincing people to buy another controller when they already have one, but I'm all for people trying something "new" (to them).

Companies copy each other all the time. The controllers from the prior generation (PS2, XBox, GC) were almost identical in functionality. It's always safer to copy the latest and greatest success before the competition runs away with all of the profits. It happens in every industry.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Any idea worth implementing is worth stealing. The very best ideas get stolen by everyone, becoming the new standard.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I think Microsoft would do well to copy Nintendo on this one. I don't think it will sell more 360s though. Nintendo marketed themselves as the "family friendly" system first... the 360 would have to do a 180 making it a 540 in order to compete with Nintendo. ;-)

I can just see it now...

[color=000066]"Hey, why does my 360 game look like ass?!"[/color]
[color=660000]"Oh, they just ported it from the Wii."[/color]
[color=000066]"Do all Wii games look this shitty?"[/color]
[color=660000]"Just the good ones."[/color]