Wii Receives New Nintendo Classic Controller

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Wii Receives New Nintendo Classic Controller

Digital distribution and the death of the Gamecube controllers are calling for a brand new Wii Classic Contoller to spread the WiiWare wealth to new Wii owners, and Nintendo has just the product.

The Wii Classic Controller Pro [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/controllers/index.html] emulates the form factor of the Gamecube controller design more so than the original Classic Controller that was intended to be used for WiiWare titles. It features additional "ZR" and "ZL" shoulder buttons similar to the triggers on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 controllers. In every dimension, the Pro controller is built bigger: height, length, and width-wise. Added to its increased bulk are extended grip pads that look to be smoother and larger than the thin extensions on the Gamecube controllers.

Nintendo has the bad habit of throwing unadulterated peripheral concept parties in their office and actually manufacturing what they create. Between the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Remote, a nunchuck attachment, Mario Kart steering wheel, and the Balance Board, there never seems to be an end to Nintendo's input products. Marketed correctly, this updated controller with improved usability and ergonomics, could be a key factor in convincing moms to test out Super Mario 64 for a small fee and a quick download.

Although no price has yet been set on the Classic Controller Pro, expect it to be released in Japan sometime in 2009.

Source: IGN [http://gear.ign.com/articles/957/957449p1.html]

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
How much do you reacon this will be? £20? 30?

I bought 4 gamecube controls for my Wii for £8. Yeah, I think I'll stick to thoughs.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I think they were trying real hard not to have a controller that looked like a dualshock.

And failed.

Oh well, I'm not complaining at all, i'll be getting one of these! If you adapt to the gamecube controller's D-Pad, you could probably pull off moves much more precisely in fighters, but to hell with adapting, i'll be having one of these for sure.

I've been waiting for a larger D-pad in general.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
The 'zR' and zL' buttons aren't actually an addition, it just looks like they made them bigger... They were on the original classic controllers, after all.

My favorite thing about this is that the cord comes out the top. It takes so long to get used to the cord coming out of the bottom on the old ones!

I'll probably stick with the current kind, to be honest. Personally I like the retro SNES feel of them. Still I really wish I knew what the little button on top and sliding shutters on the back were for...

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
Wow, PS2 controllers in white now available for Wii! Just look at it. I get a laugh out of this.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Podunk said:
The 'zR' and zL' buttons aren't actually an addition, it just looks like they made them bigger... They were on the original classic controllers, after all.

My favorite thing about this is that the cord comes out the top. It takes so long to get used to the cord coming out of the bottom on the old ones!

I'll probably stick with the current kind, to be honest. Personally I like the retro SNES feel of them. Still I really wish I knew what the little button on top and sliding shutters on the back were for...
My guess is that they intended to have it connect to the Wii remote so that you didn't get some dangly thing coming out of the end of your Classic Controller. And then scrapped it for whatever reason.

All I ask of this thing is that it plays Gamecube games. The Wii's backwards compatibility is worth nothing if I can't use it.

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
You know what I like about them?

The cord is on top. Do you have any idea how many times I pick up the classic controller upside down?

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Looks like a PS2 controller. I've still got 3 Gamecube controllers, they work fine.

ferrarisrule626

Feb 25, 2009
it looks like the back just clips on to the originall classic controller cause if you look at one there's two holes in the back and a release button. it might just be an add on

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
ferrarisrule626 said:
it looks like the back just clips on to the originall classic controller cause if you look at one there's two holes in the back and a release button. it might just be an add on
No, it's a whole seperate controller. The cord for the Classic Controller comes out of the bottom, and the picture clearly has it coming out the top like pretty much every other controller ever.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Ahhh good. I was getting sick of playing smash brothers with a wii remote and nunchuck because we didn't have enough gamecube controllers for four players...

Jenny Creed

May 7, 2008
Instead of that controller I wish they'd just put in a control customization function. I've tried playing Super Mario 64 with the regular classic controller; it sort of works if you hold it vertically. Then you can push the B and A buttons simultaneously with your thumb like God intended, and you can almost access Z with your index finger without getting cramps trying to avoid R. Well, the new one at least avoids the "Z being a tiny far away button hiding beyond R" problem, though I still can't see a way to access A and B with the same natural grace you'd do Y and B in a SNES game.

Good thing I sold my Wii I guess. >_>