British Ratings Board: RE5 Is Not Racist

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
British Ratings Board: RE5 Is Not Racist

The British Board of Film Classification, which rates games in the UK, has delivered its verdict on the Resident Evil 5 racism controversy.

Whether or not Resident Evil 5 is intentionally or unintentionally racist (or racist at all) is really up to you to ponder for yourself, but for the BBFC [http://www.bbfc.co.uk], it's something that actually matters when it comes to doing their job. The board, which rates films, DVDs and videogames in the UK, needs to consider racist elements when handing down verdicts on whether or not six-year-olds will be allowed to shoot zombies in the African savanna.

"The BBFC would not automatically cut a work for racism," Sue Clark, head of communications for the board, explained to Kikizo [http://games.kikizo.com/news/200902/bbfc-rubishes-resident-evil-5-racism-claims.asp]. "We would normally give a work a higher rating to take it away from younger consumers who might not understand the issues surrounding racist remarks or attitudes."

They've given RE5 a rating [http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/56484E6A1B1F87368025751A003B89D5?OpenDocument] of 18, but that has nothing to do with shielding kids from "the issues surrounding racist remarks or attitudes." They don't think the game is racist at all. "We do take racism very seriously, but in this case there is no issue around racism," Clark said.

Speaking specifically, Clark commented on a controversial scene in the game which multiple journalists argued [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89242-Resident-Evil-5-Coverage-Reignites-Racism-Debate] the scene echoed classic racist tropes of black males corrupting white women, but the BBFC saw little of that.

"In the version [of the scene] submitted to the BBFC there is only one man pulling the blonde woman in from the balcony, and I can't say the skimpiness of her dress impressed itself on me," she said. "The single man is not black either." So either the BBFC received a different version of the scene or some people were feeling a tad sensational.

In any case, the BBFC seems to be taking the same stance as many gamers who feel the entire controversy is beyond the bounds of common sense. "As the whole game is set in Africa it is hardly surprising that some of the characters are black, just like the fact that some of the characters in an earlier version were Spanish as the game was set in Spain," Clark said.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I never understood how this could be seen as being racist? Black people actually live in Africa? White people live in Europe? Japanese people live in Japan? When you read a book, it's set in Africa, and the protagonist is black, do you call it racist? NO! Seriously, people who think this game is racist need to get their head(s) checked!

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
mokes310 said:
I never understood how this could be seen as being racist? Black people actually live in Africa? White people live in Europe? Japanese people live in Japan? When you read a book, it's set in Africa, and the protagonist is black, do you call it racist? NO! Seriously, people who think this game is racist need to get their head(s) checked!
Seriously? That makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, this entire controversy was ridiculous to begin with. I mean, it's an RE game. All the protagonists are white. They decided to set it in Africa this time, and they're not about to scrap Chris Redfield as the protagonist.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
I can;t believe it even got that far.

The game is set in Africa. A village is infected. What did you expect? A bunch of pasty white nerds?

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
Chickenlittle said:

The game is set in Africa. A village is infected. What did you expect? A bunch of pasty white nerds?
Absolutely. And Asian and Hispanic... uhh, tourists.

kewlrabbit

Aug 6, 2008
God, this "controversy" just keeps going on. Glad to see someone has their heads on straight.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Chickenlittle said:

ummm....yessss?

So there's hope yet for the rating systems horray!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Thank god they got it right with this game, I'm proud that they actually put two and two together and figured out it wasn't racist.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hachura said:
Chickenlittle said:

Absolutely. And Asian and Hispanic... uhh, tourists.
Me? I thought there would be loads of Japanese people!

Being serious, I'm glad that these people saw the light of reason. Can't wait till the ESRB says the exact same thing, and then Al Sharpton uses it to go on another crazy parade! It'll probably get a big piece of frontline news on every station too. Media outlets love this stuff: it feeds their sense of being important knowing that they've stirred the pot one more time.

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
I still can't believe Capcom caved though, by adding white/Asian enemies and a black sidekick to boot. Weak.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Chickenlittle said:

My main problem with it is that the protagonist is white which leads to a whole bunch or cliches you can read on TV Tropes if you have to. In other words, the game is set in Africa. A village is infected. What did you expect the protagonist to be? A pasty white guy?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
I think it's slightly more honest to say that it's not racist any more. The scene in question has been changed from two black Africans attacking a white woman, signifying that despite what they might say, Capcom have changed elements in the wake of the race controversy.

Can I just point out to people though, people weren't getting annoyed because the zombies were black, they were getting annoyed about the portrayal of Africans, whether infected or not, as nothing more than savages. RE5 touched on some pretty sensitive issues, albeit unintentionally, and people reacted to it viscerally.