A Better Shave For Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A Better Shave For Gamers

Are you a gamer? Do you need to shave? Are you tired of subjecting your face to the sub-par hacking of razors made for people who'd rather watch television or play some cards? Then you need to get the Gillette Fusion Power Gamer, the new razor that may just be the most mind-blowingly stupid crossover product ever conceived.

You've no doubt seen ads for the Gillette Fusion razor featuring appearances by Tiger Woods, Roger Federer and Derek Jeter, in which they smack their respective balls around and then kid each other with awkward camaraderie and forced machismo at the end. But men who play real sports, with their chiseled features, sculpted physiques and manly comfort with communal shower nudity can be intimidating to those of us who mash buttons for fun, their athletic prowess and ease with the ladies leaving us uncomfortably self-conscious as we look down at our pale skin and nacho cheese-stained t-shirts.

But now, Gillette [http://www.gillette.com] has extended a hand to the pallid and the flabby, recognizing that even those of us who don't have a compulsive fixation with balls need some way to scrape the crud off our faces every now and then. Thus we have the Gillette Fusion Power Gamer Razor, a new five-bladed monstrosity that will shave gamers, and apparently only gamers, closer than any other razor on the planet.

What makes the Gillette Fusion Power Gamer different from other razors, like for instance the Gillette Fusion? It seems to have a slightly different color scheme, featuring gray accents instead of blue. The "loading" countdown timer on the Gillette Fusion Gamer website is shaped like a game controller rather than a big blue "G." Perhaps the most important difference, though, is that instead of being shilled by Tiger Woods, Roger Federer and Derek Jeter, the campaign for the Gillette Fusion Power Game features videogame-style digital representations of Tiger Woods, Roger Federer and Derek Jeter.

You think I'm making this up, don't you? But every word is true. Go here and look [http://www.gillette.com/en-us/#/products/FusionGamer/en-US/index.shtml/] if you don't believe me. This is actually a product that someone at Gillette decided would be a sure-fire hit: A razor for gamers. How do you justify that? How the hell do you even conceive of such a thing? What's next, a Gillette blade for people who use mass transit? Maybe a new kind of shaving cream for men who prefer boxers? I know, how about Gillette: Remembrance, the hot new fragrance for men who can't remember where they left their goddamn keys.

Despite the hype, some early adopters have expressed concern over the technology at work in new razors; one poster claimed the battery indicator light on his Fusion Power Gamer began flashing red after only a few uses, signifying a general hardware failure, while others have raised questions about backwards compatibility with earlier Gillette models. The Amazon customer review forum [http://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Razor-Fusion-1-Count-Packages/product-reviews/B001JQLNGE/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending] have also been inundated with Schick Quattro fanboys who claim the new Fusion Power Gamer is just "two Mach 3s duct-taped together."

The videogaming world at large seems unanimous in its disbelief over this truly stupefying product; The Onion [http://kotaku.com/5162888/finally-a-shaving-razor-for-gamers], undeniable proof that when it comes to the shaving industry, the truth isn't just stranger than fiction, sometimes it is fiction.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
If Gillette had actually done any research, they'd know that most gamers don't shave that often. Can't take time for personal hygiene when you're running raids in WoW, you know....

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
i should be surprised, but sadly I am not.

And why not use Gordon Freeman , Solid Snake and the likes in the commercial?
This is basicely the same commercial as before, only with "digitized" athletes...

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Derek Jeter? That name rings a bell. No Henry for us Europeans?

But elsewise, this is pretty cool

EDIT: Scrubs! Of course!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I will settle for nothing less than <a href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV42I26tx2s' target=_blank>this.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
What's next? A gamer toothbrush? Actually, that might have some use... quicktime-event toothbrushing?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Incredible! Now I can shave my face whilst gaming! Oh wait: that tends to lead to bleeding.
Well, I can't say I'm suprised by this. Though it makes me crave some Gamer Fuel!

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
wow, I didn't know gamers were that different to normal people.

I shall get it, my beard is growing terribly at the moment.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Real men don't use anything less than the Warp 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBT1NgnWQzw&feature=related

Zedzero

Feb 19, 2009
What presumptuous pricks! They should be expelled from the face of the Earth! Just because we are gamers we need a special razor for our facial hair!. We are people to you motherf**king twats. No different then they are, do not treat us like the special kids in school, just because we enjoy a different form of entertainment. They may as well be the jocks in highschool taking pity for the nerds but still treat them as lower class and still believe it is fine to treat them badly because we are viewed as lower, but guess what we are human! Go bankrupt gillette.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
I saw this advertised during a NASCAR race of all things, featuring the "Gillette Young Guns" playing NASCAR Kart Racing on top of an RV.

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
It'd be a gamer razor if they had pac man on it that you could play while you shaved. There'd probably be a lot of people accidentally cutting themselves, but I'd probably buy it.