Nintendo of America President Decries Wii Shortage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo of America President Decries Wii Shortage

Wii [http://www.nintendo.com]consoles in North America, but says there's not a whole lot he can do about it.

Speaking to parent company [http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/04/nintendo-averag.html]of the "missed opportunities" caused by the lack of product.

He also pointed out that the North American market receives around 40 percent of the 1.8 million Wii systems produced by Nintendo each month; despite that fact, the seemingly endless supply shortage is strictly a North American phenomenon, as the console is readily available for purchase in Europe and Japan.

Runaway demand for Nintendo's hit console has resulted in ongoing supply shortages since it's launch in late 2006. In April 2007, predicted [http://www.idc.com/]the Wii would continue to experience strong growth, but that he expected Nintendo's supply difficulties to last until 2009.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Well then, I don't feel like such an idiot for standing in line for 3 hours in the cold when I bought my Wii a few of months ago. ;-)

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
You remained outside of a shop longer than a Wii stays inside.
By over two hours.
I'd suggest you write to Reginald.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Arbre said:
You remained outside of a shop longer than a Wii stays inside.
By over two hours.
I'd suggest you write to Reginald.
I don't speak plumber or Pokemon so I don't know if we could overcome the language barrier.

ert47 said:
a part of me is still questioning the Wii's stock shortage...
Yeah... by now, it's safe to say that Nintendo is purposely keeping the shortage alive. Clever bastards.

CodeChrono

Mar 29, 2008
I went to my local gamestore when it first opened about a month after the Wii came out. I was there about to buy a few games (with zero intention of actually purchasing a Wii), when TWO Wii's walked into the store. There was me and a family of four in the store, and we both nabbed them faster than you could say Sonic.

Yah. Finding a wii is all about luck.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Echolocating said:
ert47 said:
a part of me is still questioning the Wii's stock shortage...
Yeah... by now, it's safe to say that Nintendo is purposely keeping the shortage alive. Clever bastards.
Indeed - you'd have to assume the Ninendo executives have a clue that -maybe- more Wii's are needed. So, either Ninendo are extremely clever, or have chimp-grade minds.... Although given they manage to remake the same games year in, year out, I'll have to assume clever as we still buy them.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Id like to think Nintendo are doing a walmart & playing evil empire price fixers exploiting the supply & demand issue. But more likely its simply a case of not having enough units set aside for NA export & sale.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Clearly the Illuminati are behind this. 10,000 years ago, when the Wii was foretold by ancient Egyptian scholars, a secret organization was formed to control access to these precious devices.

For he who controls the Wii, controls the spice.

And he who controls the spice....CONTROLS THE UNIVERSE.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
*covers ears with hands and yells "DONTCAREDONTCARE" over and over again*

i honestly dont care i was in my local yesterday and they had like 20 on the shelves and everyone i saw buying a console was buying either an xbox or a ps3

seriously not popular over here
probably due to the fact that xbox 360's are now cheaper than wii's