Portal Rejected for Xbox Live

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Portal Rejected for Xbox Live

Valve's quirky and popular 2007 title, Portal was rejected by Microsoft for Xbox Live.

Company marketing director Doug Lombardi beamed with enthusiasm about the possibility - "We'd love to do that. Right now it's something we'd love to do. I'd love to sell Portal on Xbox live" - but said size limitations and other factors drove Microsoft to reject it.

Nonetheless, he predicted the game will eventually show up on the service. "It always happens once it's been proven and I think it's been proven now on Steam, so I'm sure it'll migrate back to the consoles just like everything else does."

Portal was bundled as part of The Orange Box, which hit the 360, PS3 and PC last year, and netted the Game of the Year award at GDC in San Francisco.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/portal-was-offered-to-xbla-but-rejected]

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
If I didn't already have The Orange Box I would be so very angry at this. Oh, what the hell, I can still be angry!

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Quite alot of the demos that Microsoft release are most deffinately bigger then Portals. Give us more Portals!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Actually, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would like to buy Portal separately on the X360. It's folly to not do it. It'll lose them money, which we all know is what Microsoft wants.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Seeing as how I can buy 6 gig games off the XBL marketplace why can't I buy a game the size of portal?