Sonic Unleashed's Werehog Will Return

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sonic Unleashed's Werehog Will Return

The universally hated Werehog from Sonic Unleashed will live to see another day and cause more weeping and gnashing of teeth among what fans of Sega's mascot remain.

Here's my advice to the old-school Sonic fans who continually cry foul when Sega inevitably besmirches their beloved franchise time and time again, despite all glimmers of hope: It's time to move on. The time has passed when Sega made Sonic games for you, they've moved on and it's time for you to do the same. Don't believe me? Sega themselves have admitted to it. Old fans aren't the core audience of the series.

"You have the animated Sonic series that is intended for younger kids, and I personally like to look at those kids as our most important audience," Sonic director Tetsu Katano said in an interview [http://www.videogamer.com/wii/sonic_and_the_black_knight/preview-1531.html]. "That said, we're trying to make games which appeal to all generations."

Some members of the older of those generations didn't find much appeal in the Werehog sections of the recent Sonic Unleashed, during which Sonic transforms into feral creature with Stretch Armstrong powers who likes to smash stuff. Katano will readily accept that people don't like the Werehog, but isn't quite ready to give them what they want.

"In principle, I think that the users are always right. They're the ones paying the money and playing the games," he said. So if the users are always right, why not ditch the damn Werehog? "I don't think that producing the Werehog was a mistake per se, but there were a lot of things we could have done better if we had more time and resources."

Seems Katano sees untapped potential in the Werehog, so much that he guarantees that we'll see the thing again. "If I think of any ideas [for improving the Werehog] then Sonic Unleashed 2 will be the time for that," he explained. "But you will see the Werehog again."

Hopefully by "improvements" he doesn't mean the ditched "yeti Werehog" concepts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89748-Sonic-Unleashed-It-Could-Have-Been-A-Lot-Worse] from the first Sonic Unleashed.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
[quote/]"If I think of any ideas [for improving the Werehog] then [b/]Sonic Unleashed 2[/b] will be the time for that," he explained. "But you will see the Werehog again."[/quote]

Does anyone know how to tie a nuse?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Why can't bad things die? As few good design ideas that were in Unleashed, the Werehog was not one of them.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
KKAAAAHHHNNNN!!!

I'm done with Sonic.

And this time, I mean it.

Really.

Seriously.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Dammit! Why, Sega? Why?

Sonic?
SONIC?
SONIIIIICC!

LivingInStereo said:
Does anyone get this weird feeling like developers don't have internet access??
See, he acknowledged that people hate it, but they just don't care.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
He pretty much just said he was making it for the tweens who gaggle over the anthrophomorpic cartoon. CHILI DOGS YO!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
SomeBritishDude said:
[quote/]"If I think of any ideas [for improving the Werehog] then [b/]Sonic Unleashed 2[/b] will be the time for that," he explained. "But you will see the Werehog again."
Does anyone know how to tie a nuse?
Noose. And yes.[/quote]

Why does this not surprise me? I refer to Max and to the OP. Sonic is a dead horse that is actually so dead that he's being used as the new final boss in the next House of the Dead game, forgoing the Tarot theme, because the dead horse is much scarier. The fear of Sonic's present incarnation is what you get when you multiply F.E.A.R. with Silent Hill, add a hefty dose of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and take this value to the power of the number of nines in that "Interesting Fact" thread from last month. Which means a hell of a lot.

Why, Sonic Team, Why?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
AoE dies after producing an RTS gem, and Sonic lives on after producing pure, concentrated evil. It's the way of the world I'm afraid.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Wow. That's like:

"No one likes playing as Raiden? Well in the sequel we're going to make everyone play as him again instead of Snake! But this time we'll give them more guns so they'll learn to like it."

No.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
AoE dies after producing an RTS gem, and Sonic lives on after producing pure, concentrated evil. It's the way of the world I'm afraid.
We just need a way to flip the world upside down. The world is a flat surface, isn't it? ISN'T IT? I dare you to challenge my logic that the world is flat!