MADD Decries GTA IV Drinking and Driving

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
MADD Decries GTA IV Drinking and Driving

The U.S. organization Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) has expressed consternation over Grand Theft Auto IV's content, effectively calling for a ban.

In a short release, the group sternly and soberly said it deplored the depiction of drinking and driving in the game, whose sales have broken day-one records in Europe and will likely land at or near the top of the charts in the U.S.

"Each year nearly 13,500 people die in drunk driving crashes and another half a million are injured in alcohol-related traffic crashes. This is why MADD is extremely disappointed by the decision of the manufacturers of the game Grand Theft Auto IV to include a game module where players can drive drunk," the release said.

"Drunk driving is not a game and it is not a joke. Drunk driving is a choice, a violent crime and it is also 100 percent preventable."

MADD called for the ESRB to rerate the game Adults Only, which would effectively ban it from the U.S. market altogether.

However, drinking and driving does not exactly receive a ringing endorsement in the game. Ars Technica editor Ben Kuchera noted, "[T]he game will warn you that this is probably a good time to simply get in a cab. Not only that, but if you do decide to get into a car, you'll find it nearly impossible to drive; you're asking for an accident. If anything, I'd say the game does a pretty good job of proving that getting behind the wheel after a few drinks is a bad, bad idea."

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/05/02/madd-argues-anti-drunk-driving-message-of-gta-iv-should-be-ao]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
*Yawn* Any other pressure groups want to take a bite out of Rockstar? I'm getting bored of this already.
The league of dentists - after all, when did you last see a GTA character brush or floss ;)

Nov 28, 2007
Screw the violence, rerate it AO because of drunk driving! And while you're at it, rerate Fable AO because you can get drunk in the game and commit domestic violence!

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Annnnddd here we go again because of the moronic people that hate video games.

*sigh*

I_LIKE_TACOS

May 2, 2008
"madd" is definatly a valid name for these ladies...its not the game its the person,I play metal gear...doesnt mean im going to join the army and shoot people. people need to stop blaming other people for their problems, like look at me! im on a message board...thats lame! how bored am I!? but im not going to blame you, message board, I blame myself for not being cooler....

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Welcome to America...

Litigatio ergo Amendus - I have a right to, therefore I sue.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
I already got my copy so MADD can kiss my ass.

Again some uninformed zealous douche fags blam video games instead of trying to fix the real issue.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
The Lawn said:
I already got my copy so MADD can kiss my ass.

Again some uninformed zealous douche fags blam video games instead of trying to fix the real issue.
Because calling them zealous douche fags totally shows your maturity...

I didn't even know there was drunk driving in the game. Hell, I didn't even know you could drink! Shows what I know for sticking to the story missions.

It's kind of surprising that they choose to go after drunk driving, when characters blatantly do drugs and graphically shoot each other in the face on screen. I guess they need something to complain about though.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
I remember the days where games didn't cause such an uproar. When people didn't complain about elements in a game because it was just that, a game, and in no-way influenced your day to day choices save actually playing the game. There were no groups flapping about mario the plumber taking mushrooms and going on a hallucinogenic enduced trip to rescue a princess from a fire breathing overgrown spikey turtle. And wasn't there a drunk driving scene in vice city? Did that get banned?

I may start a group and jump on the fuck GTA IV bandwagon. I could do with some media attention...

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
Rabid Toilet said:
Because calling them zealous douche fags totally shows your maturity...
Its Over zealous douche fags, and maturity really isn't an issue on this case, I was just expressing my view of them.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
When expressing your view requires use of the terms "douche" or "fags", maturity is probably an issue.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Take it easy on MADD...there a group that tries to decrease drunk driving. So they saw GTA4 and went crazy in a very ignorant way. I bet a sizable chunk of them have had friends or family that died in an accident, I don't think there over-reaction should be classified with evil. Sure there wrong, but everyone is a little stupid from time to time. They just need to realize that the character in the game is not a role model, and the game shouldn't be played by someone who might think otherwise. And also, that there efforts can be put in a far more productive direction then getting pissy at a video game. I think its more effective to just let them and the public know this, rather then then dismiss them as worthless when in all likelihood, they really are trying to do what's best.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
ummmmm if all these groups had their way i would like you to go see the no more heroes review and take a look at what he says goes on before killer7 comes along, that is what will happen

we will be playing captain blands monotonous adventure if these ladies have there way, all racing games you have to be under the speed limit, no more fighting games, shooting games gone, in short gaming life will be screwed up

excuse the rant i just had misinformed pillocks who dont even play games and then try and get one banned, but other than that i got nothing against them

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
After playing the game I've really been influenced and started taking up drink driving myself. So far I've killed:
-two children playing
-one lady and a pram
-one old man
-and a puppy

I hope to continue and get the high score.

Melty Blood

Dec 22, 2007
People should know when to shut up. The ESRB gets rating right most of the time, and it's not as if they weren't aware of the issue.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
PurpleRain said:
After playing the game I've really been influenced and started taking up drink driving myself. So far I've killed:
-two children playing
-one lady and a pram
-one old man
-and a puppy

I hope to continue and get the high score.
Did they have alchohol is the australian version? How very odd. I thought that kind of stuff is way to morally degrading for you.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
Take it easy on MADD...there a group that tries to decrease drunk driving. So they saw GTA4 and went crazy in a very ignorant way. I bet a sizable chunk of them have had friends or family that died in an accident, I don't think there over-reaction should be classified with evil. Sure there wrong, but everyone is a little stupid from time to time.
Indeed, very true. And from their point of view, I can see how it comes across as horrific to have a game that lets you drink and drive. But at the same time, A) its really, really not meant for children, B) If the adults don't know better, they'll drink drive anyway, and C) Even in game, its very clear that drink driving is a bad idea - you sway all over the road, the camera sways constantly, and your very likely to hit something at any speed.

Educating people like this is what we should hope for - after all, these people seem well meaning, if misguided, and we can't assume they are like Jack Thompson (ie. lying, hypocritical, mad, time-wasters who refuse to listen to reason, common sense, or reality in some cases). And as Xanadu84 says, most of them probably have lost family to drink drivers. Calling them 'fags' and 'douchebags' is a) childish, b) overly American (try 'gay' or even avoiding the homophobia), and c) disrespectful to possiblity grieving people.