Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg Calls Out Sony

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg Calls Out Sony

Aaron Greenberg, Microsoft's Director of Product Management for PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com] promises.

In an interview with Home [http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-destructoid-interview-microsoft-s-aaron-greenberg-on-gta-iv-85192.phtml]as well?"

"We have been fighting Gears of War [http://www.sony.com] and Gears of War 2 before they can even get Killzone out the door."

"Think back to GDC 2007 when Sony promised to leap ahead in online with the Sony Home unveil," he said. "Here we are two years later and multiple delays for a product that appears to have little to no buzz. Where are the achievements? The friends list across all games? Where is the long-promised video store? Where are all the other products using and networking with their CELL chip? How come Blu-ray did not result in better games? What happened with Sixaxis and rumble? Where is the complete 1080p game library we were promised? If Blu-ray as they said would be such a catalyst to PS3 console sales, then why have PS3 sales over the past couple months not seen any lift since the format victory?"

"The reality is that Xbox 360 is leading this generation with a larger installed base, more than two times the games library, the most exclusives along with the leading online service and community," he said. "The days of Sony snowing the consumers and the press are over, I think the pressure is now really on them more than ever to deliver on all of these promises."

Destructoid's full interview with Greenberg is available here [http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-destructoid-interview-microsoft-s-aaron-greenberg-on-gta-iv-85192.phtml].

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Is it just me? Or is he taking it a little out of context? If I were Sony I would simply reply that it takes more time and effort to create something good, then make something just about good enough and ship it out. On top of that all he seems to be doing is trying to rattle a cage or two, xbox live was nowhere near as good as it is now a few months after it release, and any sane person could see that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are following the same curve technology, sales and quality wise except the xbox 360's curve started a year earlier. I mean at the same time in the Xbox 360's lifespan I could have easily asked similar questions.

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
I'll try not to be a fanboy now. First thing he's a Microsoft employee of course he'll talk shit about sony. Second thing yes Home has been delayed time over time. Third achievments is a boring thing that only proves how boring you are, I mean who on earth have the energy to get for example all the flags in Assassin's Creed. One of the greatest game to the ps3 will come in june. Haven't Dual shock 3 came out yet. And who needs a video market place when you have internet and Tversity on your computer. I can't think of anything right now.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
solid_snake said:
Third achievments is a boring thing that only proves how boring you are
You used boring twice in the same sentence. That makes it a bad insult. Shame on you!

The statement makes me laugh. It's launched at the competitors, of course its going to be hopelessly skewed. At least a few points are true under the hyperbole though, and it's against Sony, so that's good enough to make me giggle!

widowedeight

May 9, 2008
Skrapt said:
Is it just me? Or is he taking it a little out of context? If I were Sony I would simply reply that it takes more time and effort to create something good, then make something just about good enough and ship it out. On top of that all he seems to be doing is trying to rattle a cage or two, xbox live was nowhere near as good as it is now a few months after it release, and any sane person could see that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are following the same curve technology, sales and quality wise except the xbox 360's curve started a year earlier. I mean at the same time in the Xbox 360's lifespan I could have easily asked similar questions.
actually i have a ps3.... the online is terrible... free but it makes me want to find a way to slit my wrists with the wireless goodness.... and i have had xbox live since 2 days b4 it was even relased to the public (i got connections) and after the initial setup it worked exactly how it said it would.... by the way yes when you have videos you can watch online through the system it is a hell of alot simpler, so maybe instead of hating on the currently godlike system know as the 360 you should get one and play it for a month... i'm not saying the ps3 isn't cool, but i am saying that the only real reason i have it is cause blue-ray movies.... and because i would like to play FFXIII when it comes out in 2059.....

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
widowedeight said:
Skrapt said:
actually i have a ps3.... the online is terrible... free but it makes me want to find a way to slit my wrists with the wireless goodness.... and i have had xbox live since 2 days b4 it was even relased to the public (i got connections) and after the initial setup it worked exactly how it said it would.... by the way yes when you have videos you can watch online through the system it is a hell of alot simpler, so maybe instead of hating on the currently godlike system know as the 360 you should get one and play it for a month... i'm not saying the ps3 isn't cool, but i am saying that the only real reason i have it is cause blue-ray movies.... and because i would like to play FFXIII when it comes out in 2059.....
I don't have, and don't plan on getting either console, Though I have played on both (I am sociable) and never had problems with either online system, Sony's works, but lacks the bells and whistles, Xbox 360 has both, but then again it has been out for almost a year longer, though really the bells and whistles are nothing but devious tricks to keep people playing, the achievements system is bad it supports playing for days on end, instead of actually trying to play well.

And if you want my personal opinion, I think the xbox 360 is the better choice right now and I never said the PS3 was better I simply said the MS employee had his facts wrong and was out of line.

However if you do want my opinion instead of suddenly jumping to the defense of your console that I never even attacked, the xbox 360 has reached saturation, hardware has been used to full potential and to keep things going Microsoft are planning yet another motherboard refresh which puts everyone behind yet again, the xbox 360 only has one place left to go and that is down market. Whereas the PS3 has untapped potential, GTA IV showed the advantages slightly, as it loads faster, is smoother and the graphics are slightly better on the PS3 version. The ease of use of Sony's system is much better, it doesn't have a proprietary hard drive (any standard size 2.5" HD will fit), you can put linux on it, and if Sony ever decide to use their massive influence in the film industry, they could have a huge movie store in your own home, something Microsoft would find difficult to do without spending inordinate amounts of cash. I have many mroe arguments but it basically boils down to that the Xbox 360 is the better choice right now, but the way the market looks to develop within the next 6 months I think Sony could easily gain the upper hand.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
Skrapt said:
The ease of use of Sony's system is much better.
I would disagree with this statement - especially online usage.

And to the original post, I'd say it might just be you. Sony has overpromised for years and he's called them out on it. Sony has consistently underdelivered on their promised experience.

It certainly takes more time to make something good, but the responsible thing to do is announce when something good is going to realistically come out. Not consistently promise more and deliver less.

Related: Sony did use that "it takes more time to make something good" line when talking about their latest delays - search for sony in the news articles and you should find it.

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
Holy crap. Will the bashing ever stop? Only thing we've gotten the last few weeks are companies bashing other companies. Sony and MS in their unending fight over who's got the best GTA is just ridiculous, and now this. I'm just waiting for Sony's response...

On a less related note, I haven't got any of the systems. I still play (and enjoy) my PS2 more than I would either a 360 or PS3 at the moment. However, like Skrapt wrote, the PS3 is still relatively untapped, whereas the 360 is at it's peak, proved by MS releasing new hardware, which if I were a 360 owner would be pretty pissed of about. Does anyone know if MS plans to replace the outdated versions?

Ah, the endless online discussion. To me it is pretty clear which is the better. The PS3 (no, that's a joke). Of course it's Live that has the edge, but would you expect anything other for a product you pay for, versus a free service?

In the end, if I dip into this generation of consoles, I'll probably go with the PS3. It's easy access for a new format for which I have no other player, plus there's some interesting stuff on the horizon. I will admit I'm a MGS-fag, so Guns of the Patriots is a pretty big attraction.

To close, I'd like to say that, in the perfect world I would end up with all the competing systems.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Meh. Instead of bashing the competition, how 'bout improving your games or something more productive? Leave the bashing to your ever-loyal troll army.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
I'm not sure what it is exactly, but there is something to what he's saying. It was as though there was/is a buzz around everything PS3, but it never quite lives up to it. Whereas XBox stuff seems to just arrive with a bang (literally in the case of early 360's). I remember thinking the 360 would just be a better XBox while the PS3 was supposed to be a revolution in home entertainment technology. It seems like the opposite has happened. (Still, I love both more than a healthy person should)

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
When the big fat elephants step into the Console War, it's even cooler.

That said, Sony may be late, but what's coming shines in comparison to anything Microsoft has announced thus far.

Home will probably be some huge phenomenon, and the likes of Final Fantasy XIII, Little Big Planet and Metar Gear Solid 4 are potentially huge hits.
Who knows, Killzone 2 may be getting some CGI boost, to literally make the difference with the 360, and could turn out to be a game of consequence to hardcore gamers.
As for MGS4, it is the PS3's halo in terms of market importance. Halo 3 succeeded, but it didn't pull the 360 into a situation where it would now be above the PS3 in terms of weekly sales, and the PS3 has not delivered all it can.
Besides, Blu-Ray has won, it's fully integrated into the console, and works much better than the DVD drive in her older sister.

360 completely failed at finding a good asian audience, and that's the difference with the PS3.
You can call it anti-american bias or lack of very typical asian games, the fact is there.

Microsoft is being extremely agressive - a thing they avoided until a month ago. I think they're afraid.

korosora

Sep 11, 2007
This is fanboy flame fodder. Enjoy fanboys, flaming each other...

I'm tired of this console rivalry shit.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Korosora I agree with you but you have to admit that Sony is indeed an AWFUL company and deserves to be shut down forever. They NEVER keep their promises ( not saying that Microsoft is any better though..... ) and they care nothing for the customer. After they have your money they simply do not give a crapp about you.

So far Microsoft is the better choice for a console....and the Wii second.

Until Sony smartens up and actually starts to CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS AND KEEP THEIR PROMISES ( which is very doubtful ) I see no reason why any developer should support them and I see no reason why a customer would buy their junk.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
The best things in typical Console Wars are the claims from fanboys who run firms, not the comments from the fanboys who read the news. :D

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
well with the stuff ive readed and all that i think that the diference between the methods of microsoft and sony is that microsoft are... sneaky money suckers that dont think very well in the strategies (release of xbox 360 ayear before the other consoles having hardware troubles and fee for internet service are example)

and sony are arrogant idiots that hope that the succes fall from the sky

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Skrapt said:
However if you do want my opinion instead of suddenly jumping to the defense of your console that I never even attacked, the xbox 360 has reached saturation, hardware has been used to full potential and to keep things going Microsoft are planning yet another motherboard refresh which puts everyone behind yet again, the xbox 360 only has one place left to go and that is down market.
Fiskmasen said:
However, like Skrapt wrote, the PS3 is still relatively untapped, whereas the 360 is at it's peak, proved by MS releasing new hardware, which if I were a 360 owner would be pretty pissed of about. Does anyone know if MS plans to replace the outdated versions?
What are the two of you smoking? Granted, MS has done hardware revisions to improve hardware reliability (while also extending warranties to try and help those hosed by the original shitfest that was the launch hardware), and to add things like HDMI. But, aside from the HDMI port addition (which does not affect what the console does, just the output of the content), how are MS's hardware refreshes any different from Sony's? Shrinking the processors from 90nm to 65nm to the eventual upcoming 45nm are just natural parts of life. When you do that, the processors need less power, which allows you to reduce the power components on the board (like capacitors), and drop the power requirements for the PSU. Less heat means you can redo the cooling elements, much like the PS3's updated HSF being shown off by the manufacturer a few weeks ago. Who's being left behind? How is this in any way indicative of the hardware being tapped out? What is wrong with you people?

Best I can tell, the Falcon refresh made 360's reliable within the normal range of hardware failure, and all updates from here on out will be cost-saving measures. When they add a Blu-ray drive, I'll eat these words, but even then, so long as games don't start requiring the BD-ROM, I won't care. That's what my PS3 will be for, once the 45nm's come out.

bluemarsman

Apr 6, 2008
I am so sick of this shit. The better system can't be decided until the current generation is over.