Recurring Validation Dropped for Mass Effect

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Recurring Validation Dropped for Mass Effect

Internet rage has once again carried the day as Mass Effect [http://www.bioware.com].

On Friday, BioWare Community Manager Jay Watamaniuk posted a message on the official EA [http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=629059&forum=125&sp=0#5774350]support on a case-by-case bases. Once installed, the DVD will no longer be required for gameplay, and connections to the internet for future validation will only be required if the player downloads new game content.

"There has been a lot of discussion in the past few days on how the security requirements for Mass Effect for the PC will work," the message said. "BioWare, a division of EA, wants to let fans know that Mass Effect will not require ten-day periodic re-authentication."

"BioWare has always listened very closely to its fans and we made this decision to ensure we are delivering the best possible experience to them," it continued. "To all the fans including our many friends in the armed services and internationally who expressed concerns that they would not be able to re-authenticate as often as required, EA and BioWare want you to know that your feedback is important to us."

Mass Effect and masseffect.bioware.com [http://www.spore.com/].

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
The 3 validation limit is still a *****, if they provide a way of deactivating it from one computer so you get one of your 3 back then it'd be slightly less painful, but if its literally 3 installs then go beg tech support for any more then I can see a lot of people using them up very quickly and being very annoyed when they can't reinstall again.

If you install on 2 machines and have one fail at any point... that's your 3 activations gone. The whole thing is enough to make me think they planned from the start to start out incredibly unreasonable, then "listen to the fans". There was furore over Bioshock's DRM when it was the first thing we were presented with, but since they started out even worse then dropped back to "only as bad as Bioshock" suddenly it was all OK

I say keep up the stream of pressure and push them back to something sane.

Nov 28, 2007
man-man said:
The 3 validation limit is still a *****, if they provide a way of deactivating it from one computer so you get one of your 3 back then it'd be slightly less painful, but if its literally 3 installs then go beg tech support for any more then I can see a lot of people using them up very quickly and being very annoyed when they can't reinstall again.

If you install on 2 machines and have one fail at any point... that's your 3 activations gone. The whole thing is enough to make me think they planned from the start to start out incredibly unreasonable, then "listen to the fans". There was furore over Bioshock's DRM when it was the first thing we were presented with, but since they started out even worse then dropped back to "only as bad as Bioshock" suddenly it was all OK

I say keep up the stream of pressure and push them back to something sane.

I think you're misunderstanding it. The "three installations" thing doesn't apply to reinstallations on the same machine. It only applies to installations on three different machines.

sharp_as_a_cork

Oct 12, 2006
The problem with having a 3-install limit is that there are plenty of scenarios where you hit th ewall.

I'll give myself as an example: I bought a new gaming PC six months ago, but was having major problems with it. Among other things it crashed a few times and I had to reinstall Windows. Assuming I had owned Mass Effect, since the machine crashed I couldn't de-authenticate, which would mean I'd be down to 2 installs. Disregarding the chance for another such problem and reinstall, what happens if my motherboard gets toasted? Will it take another of my precious installs?

I happen to live in Israel, where the time difference and long distance phone call prices, as well as language barriers, make it difficult for me to get more installations from EA reps. Also, claiming that I should wait for cracks is stupid, as we're talking about using legitimate methods. I could just as easily download a pirated copy and absolve myself of all of this nonsense, but I don't want to... Should I therefore be punished?

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Oh, so they've dropped back to the Bioshock System of Complete Bollocks(tm), 'ey? That one started out with two systems, then got upgraded to five, plus a ridiculous validation tool which took months to develop and further customer support where the buyer has to pass the "2K Administrative System" so that he/she gets an extra install... maybe. I guess the boys at SecuRom tested some stats from there and found three + "EA Administrative System" to be a good compromise, no?

I am sorry, Bioware, but I will not buy a game for 50-60 Euros which essentially becomes a drinks coaster after two hard disk crashes and where I have to effing contact EA to get the next fix. That is, if the game even *wants* to install or start.

Example? Recently, I have bought an AOpen DVD-RW drive after my previous DVD-RW died and apparently, my two SecuRom-protected games do not like that: my - legitimate - copies of F.E.A.R. and Fable (the Lost Chapters) no longer want to start from the new DVD-RW drive.

What's next? Instead of buying a Disc to install the game from, do we get a few "Game Vouchers" which are "Good for One Game Install" and a paper with EA's Customer Support coordinates? Oh, wait, that's exactly what we're getting now.

Edit: oh yeah, almost forgot - this kind of Piss-Poor Protection(R) also kills the second hand market. If you install the game and then, for some reason, want to sell it as second hand via the shops, the potential buyers will be looking at a game that can only be installed on up to two more systems before they have to talk to mommy, err, EA.

Halfang

Nov 5, 2007
I don't like those systems. In the end it will happens as it always happens. It will be pirated, hacked, dodged, etc.

Rule number something of the internet: if exists, it will be pirated.

Save money on protection, make the game cheaper and more worthy (paper manuals anyone?) and sell a proper game, not a ripoff.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Ah. I see. EA is being an idiot again. Now, you and 2 friends can pool for a game and share it on your computers. Nice.

Jeez, STEAM is a better idea. I mean, yeah, big file, but the fact is that it's better because it's more trustworthy. Plus in-game chat.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
x434343 said:
Ah. I see. EA is being an idiot again. Now, you and 2 friends can pool for a game and share it on your computers. Nice.

Jeez, STEAM is a better idea. I mean, yeah, big file, but the fact is that it's better because it's more trustworthy. Plus in-game chat.
Sure, but after that: no more game. Your 60 Euros/Dollars DVD is now officially a coaster. You and your friends better not crash their HDDs...