Microsoft Plans Long Life For Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Plans Long Life For Xbox 360

Xbox 360 [http://www.microsoft.com/games/], which he expects will have a significantly greater lifespan than the original Xbox.

Speaking in an interview with Silicon Knights [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188949]President Denis Dyack said would take seven years to complete. "We said from the beginning that we expect the Xbox 360 to have a long tail," Kim said. "Clearly we didn't do that with the original Xbox, which was a strategic decision we made. Admittedly, we don't have any experience doing this, but we're pretty confident 360 will have a long tail."

"You're going to continue to see technical innovation, it might be additional capabilities to the current format - but honestly we haven't made those kind of decisions yet," he added.

He also addressed potential technological limitations of the system, saying the full power of the system hasn't yet been tapped, and affirmed Microsoft's noncommittal approach to Blu-ray. "I think there's the potential for more multi-disc titles, we've already seen a few of those already. But I don't think this is so drastic that people will start saying that Microsoft made a mistake not using Blu-ray. I just don't believe that," he said. "What we've been able to see with the vast majority of titles on Xbox 360 is really great experiences not really constrained with the lack of a hard drive or a larger capacity disc." He also placed some responsibility for ensuring the future of the system on the shoulders of developers, adding, "I think we will probably see more games released on multiple discs and the challenge is then for the developers to create an experience that doesn't involve a whole bunch of constant disc swapping."

CVG's full interview with Shane Kim is available here [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188949].

knumpify

Feb 15, 2008
bet'cha he's going to take it back in about three years from now.

place your bets ladies and gentlemen

ert47

Feb 28, 2008
I was about to say "lol... like thats going to happen with a system that will be technologically obsolete in two years time"

but then i had to look at the Wii...

I wonder if they're going to chop the tail off leik they did with the original xbox? (see what i did there??? *nudge, nudge*)

Faeanor

Dec 15, 2007
I just hope it doesn't end up where at the end of the 360s lifespan they offer a DVD version on multiple disks and a Blu-Ray version. Imagine getting home to realize you bought the wrong version.

But who knows, maybe in a year or so we'll be seeing a "slim" xbox 360?

Widell

Oct 2, 2007
If, or when, my X360 decides to no longer work I will most certainly not buy another one. The only thing that could make me do that is that the sequels to Mass Effect actually are X360 exclusive.

Do not get me wrong, I have had close to no problems at all with my X360, and I think it is a fine console, but I refuse to support a company that expects me to buy more than one console during it's generation's lifespan, even if I usually like Microsoft a lot.