Why Girls Don't Play Videogames

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Why Girls Don't Play Videogames

The argument over why girls don't play videogames has been raging practically ever since gaming began, but Brenda Laurel sums it up pretty well in this presentation from 1998 [http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/474].

Before you fire up your "I know plenty of chicks who game!" fire and brimstone, note that Laurel is specifically talking about little girls, those age 8 to 12 years old. While things have certainly changed over the course of the past decade, many points Laurel brings up still ring very, very true.

Most striking for me personally are her comments on two types of reviewers: hardcore guy gamers who think they know what games should be and "a certain flavor of feminist who thinks they know what little girls ought to be." Laurel sagely points out that neither group seems particularly interested in actually listening to the girls themselves. "It's funny to me that these interesting odd bedfellows have one thing in common. They haven't looked at children, and they're certainly not demonstrating any love for them," she says.

Even if you're not particularly interested in the question of how to get a 9-year old girl to play a computer game, Laurel's presentation is a valuable reminder that paying attention to your audience is a smart way to make a successful game.

Fair warning - the first six minutes of the presentation are a bit on the dry side, as Laurel recounts the research that brought her to help create successful PC games for girls. Feel free to skip on through it if your eyes start glazing over; the real meat is in the second half of the video.

Source: Kombo [http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12601]

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well, the way to get little girls to play games is: Put Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus on the cover. Or the Jonas Brothers. Simple really.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
She has a point. Girls tend to be encouraged into the princess and fairy thing, where the boys are all about fighting and racing, and various other things that come through in the game industry.
And yep, my eyes started glazing over. She sounds bored of it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
My friend has been playing Diablo 2 for few years. Same goes for my best friend (girls, of course) and of course my sister. I think that our parents bought SNES for her, but I played more than she did. At least, later, because I often saw her play Mario and Contra.

Oh, and my sis' boyfriend bought a Xbox 360 just so they can both play. Of course, they have only played LEGO Indiana Jones and Army of Two, but hey, there are more games. I think.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
My 10 year old cousin plays Ps2, and when she comes over, my Ps3. What does that say?

Here's a real question - Susan, with all due respect, if this is from 1998, how is it news? Couldn't you just start a regular thread about the video and the principles it outlines?
I could have, sure. But while it may not be "news" in the breaking sense, the ideas she outlines - namely about developers actually paying attention to their intended audience, and reviewer bias - are still very current and relevant. I thought her presentation provided some interesting points for discussion and debate, and I wanted to share it with you folks to get your thoughts. So I posted it. Pretty much that simple, really.

Feb 13, 2008
I'd also be interested in finding out why boys do play games. Is it addiction, peer pressure, escapism or identification?

And given that, could we ever change what men/women actually are?

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Laurel's presentation is a valuable reminder that paying attention to your audience is a smart way to make a successful game.
I wish more developers would get that through their thick heads. There are thousands of people on game forums, even official forums, that are giving free market research. Yet, the companies seem to dismiss it all because only a small % of people who play the games visit the forums.

So what? They won't trust the words of thousands of people, but they will trust a small handful of people in some sort of testing group? Its impossible to test the entire population, that's why we take samples. And I don't think the people on the forums are really THAT much different from the ones who don't. Fun is fun.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
No, that's not right... The answer to "why girls don't like videogames" is summed up in one phrase that I've heard many a time online "Make me a sammidge, woman!"

Think about it- people who choose Zoey in L4D are questioned, and that character is only expected to outlive Louis. Basically, you are playing against a primarily male audience, and a give them a tag to hide behind, sooner rather than later the trash talk will start. If you're a woman, you'll get the trash talk aimed at you.

Typhian

Feb 18, 2009
No, while having related themes, THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxemYNZJsG0 is why girls don't play/like video games. Maybe they just shouldn't?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I was fragging Grunts 'n Hunters at 11...
And the only barbie-type doll I had after the age of two was this Aladdin toy, but his head kept coming off, so I was kinda scared of it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Perhaps in their developing years they ran across games <a href='http://www.viddler.com/explore/Malorie/videos/55/' target=_blank>made just for girls. If such things become associated with 'games' in their minds, I can understand their aversion.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
My thoughts:

Point 1. You cannot really generalize people and be 100% accurate, so my following statement is true only for those that it is true for, which I ASSUME will be a majority.

Point 2. Refer to point 1. It all goes back to instinct's. Humanity is, for all our frills, on some level basically monkies that decided to wear pants. Male fantasy ties in with the male instinctual goal- conquest, victory over challenges and our peers. Aquisition of the female, or resources that will allow us to aquire the female. Most videogames tie in with male fantasy- even simple Mario was 'rescuing' the princess from a rival male. Female fantasies divert from male fantasy as they typically do not have to kill someone to aquire a mate. Female Fantasy typically involves the cultivation of a relationship that leads to a fruitful mating (typically with a superior male) with resources to provide for the offspring resulting therein. I am not suggesting that what we persue is so SIMPLE as this, no, but I am saying that at the root of our desires lay these things. The desire to be a hero, to save the day, to be larger then life, to become rich- all of these things go back to instinctual behaviors, usually ones that relate back to breeding or eating. Please refer to Point 1.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
thiosk said:
Girls are icky, thats why they don't play videogames.
You got it backwards mate, boys are dirty ass dicks and that's why girls don't get into gaming.

:D
Yea, plus every friend i have leaves the game when we get a chick on out team, like all of them toatally suck. but then that makes me think, my friends DO touch my butt "accedentally" alot