Anti-Smoking Nintendo DS Game Due in November

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Anti-Smoking Nintendo DS Game Due in November

Publisher Ubisoft will ship a book-turned-game aimed at helping people to stop smoking this November.

Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking will be released on the Nintendo DS handheld, lettng smokers looking to kick the habit interactively, inputting details of their addiction and choosing a coach to help the process along.

"Ubisoft's creative team has worked hard to deliver a game that successfully communicates Allen Carr's Easyway method via play," said Christian Salomon, vice president of worldwide licensing at Ubisoft. "The player experiences a truly interactive engagement with the game through which he or she learns that it can actually be enjoyable to quit smoking."

The book has been published in 50 countries and has attracted more than 10 million readers, clinic attendees and DVD purchasers.

Robin Hayley, managing director of Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking, said his team worked closely with Ubisoft to craft the title.

"Our experts worked hand in hand with the Ubisoft team to create an entertaining and illuminating game that delivers Allen Carr's Easyway method in a new, dynamic and highly effective way," explained Hayley.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I'm sure this will be a huge hit in France, Japan, and all of Asia for that matter.

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
tendo82 said:
I'm sure this will be a huge hit in France, Japan, and all of Asia for that matter.
You took the words right outta my mouth. Seriously, is ANYONE going to buy this game in America? I predict it now: "2 copies sold nationwide!" Hahaha, no, I'm sure SOME people will buy it, SOME people will buy any games. But the question is, will it really help? Furthermore, I think it is wrong to market ANYTHING to smokers. Sure, you have to make money, but I just (would) feel guilty selling a stop-smoking product to smokers. They have a serious addiction, and what if the product doesn't work (as in most cases)? Although, it would be AMAZING if it worked.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Great!!!

But mind you....if you are RETARDED enough to smoke in the first place then this game will not help you at all.

cLoNe_cf

Dec 14, 2007
Ughh...

I'm a smoker, but i'm just getting pissed off at all the anti-smoking propaganda flying about...
I have no intention of stopping... I actually LIKE the smell and taste of tobacco! But people just keep telling me to quit! Why???

I'm aware of the risks and i don't smoke in places where I'm not supposed to/places it would offend people.
I'm quite happy to go outside or leave a group to go off and have a cigarette...

But now the videogames industry is getting on the Anti-smoking band-wagon?
It's jst as bad as the anti-drugs videogames from the 80s...

Barren

Jan 20, 2008
Zombie_King said:
tendo82 said:
You took the words right outta my mouth. Seriously, is ANYONE going to buy this game in America? I predict it now: "2 copies sold nationwide!" Hahaha, no, I'm sure SOME people will buy it, SOME people will buy any games.
Yay, an American treating people he has no clue about from up high just because he's an American and they're not.

America's the only place where people would buy "The Bible game" and no one's laughing, right? I agree about this game idea being bad, but I disagree about your line of reasoning.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
cLoNe_cf said:
Ughh...

I'm a smoker, but i'm just getting pissed off at all the anti-smoking propaganda flying about...
I have no intention of stopping... I actually LIKE the smell and taste of tobacco! But people just keep telling me to quit! Why???

I'm aware of the risks and i don't smoke in places where I'm not supposed to/places it would offend people.
I'm quite happy to go outside or leave a group to go off and have a cigarette...

Yes... be glad they haven't gotten several big-name animated characters in a cartoon, to prevent the littins' from smoking... yeh, I'm serious.

hughball

Mar 13, 2008
Digikid said:
Great!!!

But mind you....if you are RETARDED enough to smoke in the first place then this game will not help you at all.
Retarded eh that's a pretty massive generalization there buddy particularly considering retardation is not a choice smoking is...you sir are a moron.

cLoNe_cf

Dec 14, 2007
stompy said:
cLoNe_cf said:
Ughh...

Yes... be glad they haven't gotten several big-name animated characters in a cartoon, to prevent the littins' from smoking... yeh, I'm serious.
Sigh...
But it's only a matter of time...

errorfied

May 11, 2008
I have a DS and I smoke.

I forsee some really crappy presents in my future from "concerned" friends.

Feb 13, 2008
If there's one thing guaranteed to make me want a cig, it's a no smoking advert. Cig adverts never did.

can actually be enjoyable to quit smoking
ROFLMAO. Go on then, and perhaps next you can make pigs fly, with lasers.

slaygore

Mar 6, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Gads, what next? A game that teaches me to stop all my pesky questioning of authority?
A game that prevents drunk driving. Although not entirely true they did make a wine game for the ds.

cLoNe_cf

Dec 14, 2007
slaygore said:
A game that prevents drunk driving. Although not entirely true they did make a wine game for the ds.
Actually... GTA4 kinda puts you off drunk driving...
It's not the fact that the cops will ALWAYS start chasing you when you do... It's more the fact that losing the simple ability to drive in a straight line is bloody annoying!