152: Simplified Systems

Scott Jon Siegel

Jul 27, 2007
Simplified Systems

"'A game is a game is a game,' writes Gamelab CEO Eric Zimmerman in an e-mail on the topic of tabletop adaptation. 'The fundamental qualities of how games are defined, how they are played, and how they can be designed to create meaningful experiences for players does not vary qualitatively across media in which games manifest. From a game designer's point of view, a board game and a videogame are far more similar than they are different.'"

Read Full Article

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
FTA:
"When hundreds upon thousands of individuals are linked together, who wants to play alone?"

Me. People online tend to subscribe to the Greater Internet Fucktard Theory, and I don't see that trend changing ever. So I hope that single player games continue. I'm happy to play a game with someone I already know in real life online, but social networking sites don't have much in the way of mechanisms to actually facilitate that.

Other than that, some interesting stuff there.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
I agree with Smoke, I'd really hate the idea that because everyone has a connection, solo game experiences should be looked upon...
Besides, when you think cardboard games, don't you automatically remember those ads from the 80s and early 90s? There's been a huge lack of communication for several years, and in the wake of high technologies and the Wiis, they smelled like "has been" stuff.
Look, they even put Jenga into the console. :|

MichaelH

May 9, 2008
What is it about the "Disembodied Hands Grabbing Things" photographs that The Escapist's art directors find so damn compelling?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/media/images/articles/folder/107/cover.png
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/media/images/articles/folder/88/cover.png

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Arbre said:
I agree with Smoke, I'd really hate the idea that because everyone has a connection, solo game experiences should be looked upon...
Besides, when you think cardboard games, don't you automatically remember those ads from the 80s and early 90s? There's been a huge lack of communication for several years, and in the wake of high technologies and the Wiis, they smelled like "has been" stuff.
Look, they even put Jenga into the console. :|
Let's hope that people don't forget that solitaire exists, and with good reason.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
I designed my own board game once, I think everyone with a passion for games should try it too, especially game designers in the digital medium. I also think designing a pen & paper role playing adventure is a good one too.

So, suffice it to say, I'm not surprised at the use of board games in digital forms, especially with the success of past Mario Party games.

Alan Au

Mar 8, 2007
Soren Johnson (Civ IV designer) recently wrote a blog entry about tabletop wargames and their relationship with newer console/computer-based strategy games. Although the focus is a bit different, he makes some interesting points about how games have become simultaneously simpler for the player and yet more complex overall.

http://www.designer-notes.com/?p=76

- Alan

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
I read somewhere that there are only around seven or so types of video games, and that for new games only the "skins" are changed.

1trakm1nd

Jun 21, 2008
Alan Au said:
Soren Johnson (Civ IV designer) recently wrote a blog entry about tabletop wargames and their relationship with newer console/computer-based strategy games. Although the focus is a bit different, he makes some interesting points about how games have become simultaneously simpler for the player and yet more complex overall.

http://www.designer-notes.com/?p=76

- Alan
By simplicity I could see that givin that most FPS games, now require much less skill and more of sitting on health packs untill they respawn, or piggyback with a medic. Or how RTS games once had use for a "strategy" rather than attacking people enmasse with every unit you can shell out untill you go broke, but at least you covered half the screen with people...The sheer gamplay in its core is by far so much more noncorpreal compared to thoes of the late 90's early(ier) 2k's. I think in the sense of them being more complex, is the creation of said simple games. Most games now take a much longer time to create, and no thats not only due to graphics, but the actual creation of something like a story is becoming more and more difficult, because everything will seem like a knock off now since a majority of original ideas tend to have been gone in the early years of video games. take for instance, Creature Shock, anyone old school enough should remeber this DoS masterpeice, and if you really think about it, and throw it into a food processer to get to the nitty gritty, the enemies look like something outta Half Life, the story has a flavor of quake, and the locals seem like Halo. Now im being a little over reacting about the details but essential my point can be seeen that new ideas arent too new nowadays.