Revolution: A More Primitive Civilization?

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Revolution: A More Primitive Civilization?

Jordan Deam dabbles with the Xbox 360 demo for Civilization: Revolution, which he figures may as well be called Civ for Consoletards.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Jordan Deam is Content Editor at The Escapist. His only gaming systems are an Xbox 360 and a Mac. Yeah, he's a total consoletard.
Well, the Xbox 360 covers the console part, and the Mac ... yeah.

Also, the game looks interesting. I'll need to add it to Gamefly. I can't really bring myself to buy it though, as I already have a perfectly good copy of Civ 4 that I don't play.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Thanks for this, Jordan. I'm a dedicated Civ fan and was genuinely curious as to how the new game would play out. Your little preview has satisfied that thirst, or rather simply renewed my curiosity to find out first hand.

Samba de Amigo's maracas to play Steel Battalion if you had the time and the inclination, but it's probably not how it was meant to be played.
Haha! Well, 'probably' is such a strong word...

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Anyone who references David Lynch in their avatar should be elevated to a higher cultural status purely by default, so don't sell yourself short. Hell, that should've been a cultural achievement in Civ 4. "Your society is now making David Lynch movies. Congratulations!"

I'm actually a big fan of nuking difficulty so other people can enjoy a game. If I want a game to challenge me, I go online and find a nice oo-man to make things tough. The game itself need only generate a grand experience for me to have fun.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I tried the expansionpack to CIV IV on my brothers computer once, after failing to find a tutorial and not understanding anything that was going on in a skimrish game I decided that it was to complex for me. But I am downloading the demo for revolutions right now and since the concept of the old games sounds great making it accesable will add alot of ejoyment for me.

Rucknar

Man of few words.
Jun 6, 2008
*PC gamer hat on* I Played Civ 3 and thought it was great, and one of the reasons I thought it was great was the slightly simplified graphics, they were clean and to the point, they got the job done.

They seemed to have made the cities in Revolution, look stupidly large compared to the landscape around them, and made it more brightly coloured and consoletard (as you so eloquently put it) friendly. Thats not what I want from a Civ game I want to be able to sit down survey my land, and decide who to batter next, it never crossed my mind that "oh that city looks very small and dully coloured", because lets face it cities are dull, they are not, as I saw in some screenshots, purple!

*Consoletard hat on* YAY! Civ on my 360, so I'm not going to complain to loudly about what is lets face it, not that much of a big deal. The animated combat graphics, if they're anything like the rest of Civs animations, of games gone by, should be quite funny.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
That's right; after two and a half decades in the industry he helped pioneer, Sid Meier has revealed himself for what he really is: a consoletard.
Or it could be that the publisher said "consoles make lots of cash. DS makes lots of cash. Let's throw an established franchise on these platforms and make lots of cash". I highly doubt Sid Meier had anything to do with the decision.

As for the article itself, I found it highly lacking in content. It's nice that you enjoyed the experience, and that they did a good job with the controls. However, you simply state that the game's rules are "simplified" without going into much detail, and claim the game has been more accessible. As far as I can grasp, more accessible simply means the characters are sillier and the color more colorful.

Completely lacking article, but hey, at least we know the game left a good impression.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
ccesarano said:
As for the article itself, I found it highly lacking in content... Completely lacking article, but hey, at least we know the game left a good impression.
Hey, he called me "illustrious". I rate this article 10/10.

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
As for the control scheme, it's surprisingly intuitive. After a few minutes, switching between units and managing your cities' production becomes second nature. While it's more than possible to play Revolution with a standard game pad, however, there's certainly no advantage to be gained from doing so.
Er... what did you play it with, if not the console's controller?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Ajar said:
As for the control scheme, it's surprisingly intuitive. After a few minutes, switching between units and managing your cities' production becomes second nature. While it's more than possible to play Revolution with a standard game pad, however, there's certainly no advantage to be gained from doing so.
Er... what did you play it with, if not the console's controller?
I think he's comparing it to other Civilization titles, which are played on the PC with a keyboard and mouse.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
I'll have to check the demo out between the half dozen other games I haven't had time to play lately. But it is Civ, and that is likely to bump it up the playlist.