Microsoft Takes Aim at Japanese Market With Role-Playing Games

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Microsoft Takes Aim at Japanese Market With Role-Playing Games

Xbox 360 sales in Japan have been abysmal so far, but Microsoft is aiming to turn that around with a barrage of role-playing game releases this year.

A slew of Japanese role-playing games are due out in Japan, including those from well-known developers Square-Enix and Namco Bandai.

They are:

Tales of Vesperia - August, Japan and North America
Infinite Undiscovery - September, worldwide
Fable 2 - September, North America (TBD, Japan)
Mass Effect - TBA, Japan
The Last Remnant - December, worldwide
Star Ocean 4 - TBA 2009, worldwide

Microsoft still faces an uphill battle, however, as it typically only moves a paltry few thousand units of Xbox 360s in Japan each week. Further, the console is heavily associated with first-person shooters, and there is no shortage of role-playing titles on other, far more popular platforms in the country, such as the Nintendo DS handheld and the PlayStation 2.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/10/microsoft-pushing-japanese-front-with-jrpgs-this-fall]

slaygore

Mar 6, 2008
Good luck microsoft for you are competing against the godly ps2 and its huge collection of rpgs in japan. Yes they are still making games for that thing.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
SWEET! The first actual date released for Fable 2! I was worried it would be one of many cluttered into a November or December release, but I can deal with September.

Tales of is a decently big series over there, so I can see that making a splash. Star Ocean 4 is also a pretty major franchise, so I can see that making a big deal next year. Unfortunately, no matter what, none of them are Final Fantasy so it's impossible to see if they'll actually push consoles.

There's also the possibility of a port to PS3 later.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
ccesarano said:
SWEET! The first actual date released for Fable 2! I was worried it would be one of many cluttered into a November or December release, but I can deal with September.

Tales of is a decently big series over there, so I can see that making a splash. Star Ocean 4 is also a pretty major franchise, so I can see that making a big deal next year. Unfortunately, no matter what, none of them are Final Fantasy so it's impossible to see if they'll actually push consoles.

Technically, Infinite Undiscovery is made by Square-Enix. That doesn't make it Final Fantasy, but it's worth noting that even those guys are busting out the Xbox360 chops.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
True, but not every Squenix title has as strong and faithful a following. Look at Legend of Mana on the Playstation, for example. I found it to be an excellent game, if not a deviation from the formula presented in previous titles, but so many people hated it.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Microsoft should just call a spade a spade and give up on Japan.

slaygore

Mar 6, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
ccesarano said:

Technically, Infinite Undiscovery is made by Square-Enix. That doesn't make it Final Fantasy, but it's worth noting that even those guys are busting out the Xbox360 chops.
Actually tri-Ace is making the game, Square-Enix is just publishing. So it would be more Star Ocean fan base than Final Fantasy, but it could be a good cover up for ff fans to get it.

I consider Last Remnant a more final fantasy game even though it looks like its real time war game, but it definitely has that setting with all those mythical creatures and all.

Sgt. Gunlock

May 27, 2008
ccesarano said:

Microsoft Owens Lionhead so not likely man

gnaw

Oct 2, 2007
What if they took all the decision-making parts of Oblivion and turned it into a lengthy gamenovel? Would that sell in Japan?

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
gnaw said:
What if they took all the decision-making parts of Oblivion and turned it into a lengthy gamenovel? Would that sell in Japan?
No because even if they did that Oblivion would still suck.

Meh I expect Star Ocean will find it's way to the PS3 at least in Japan just like Eternal Sonata. I don't really see why these companies bother so much of the 360 base in it's home country is not in to these kinds of games. Hell Last Remnant is apparently coming to the PS3 and for the longest time I thought it was an Xbox 360 exclusive. Why would the Japanese gamers even care about Microsoft's rather valiant RPG offensive?

Sgt. Gunlock

May 27, 2008
I think there starting to open up to are way of makeing games since they'v been doing the same thing for years they going to half to start makeing for a Global makeit

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
I still find it insane that the 360 is the best console to have for RPGs this generation. If you had told me that last generation, I would have laughed in your face.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Joeshie said:
I still find it insane that the 360 is the best console to have for RPGs this generation. If you had told me that last generation, I would have laughed in your face.
I keep telling people, Nintendo DS. It has more and it has "better" (as far as "better" goes with JRPG's).

You'd have to make the hero 18 with spiky bleached hair, make the sword twice as huge, stylize the armor to look awesome despite how improbable, make all the girls 14 with huge knockers, and completely redesign the monsters to have glowing bits. Oh, and the hero has to spend over half the game complaining about life and his lot in it, but towards the end his token love interest, an optimistic and spunky girl that would never be attracted to such a depressed asshole in real life, pulls him out of it and shows him life is worth living.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
ccesarano said:
You'd have to make the hero 18 with spiky bleached hair, make the sword twice as huge, stylize the armor to look awesome despite how improbable, make all the girls 14 with huge knockers, and completely redesign the monsters to have glowing bits. Oh, and the hero has to spend over half the game complaining about life and his lot in it, but towards the end his token love interest, an optimistic and spunky girl that would never be attracted to such a depressed asshole in real life, pulls him out of it and shows him life is worth living.
You are forgetting, if it's in virtual novel format we also need to make a dojin version with lots of sex to capitalize on the entire market.

Instant hit.