Sony Wants To Make A PSN Virtual Console

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony Wants To Make A PSN Virtual Console

Sony is in talks with publishers to bring a variety of classic games to PlayStation Network, including titles from beyond the PlayStation catalog.

Though plenty of PSP owners have already hacked their systems to play basically every classic game in existence from Vagrant Story to Mega Man X, Sony wants to make this practice into something official by adding classic games from non-PlayStation systems to its catalog for downloadable games. The company is already in talks with other publishers to make their vision of PlayStation Virtual Console a reality.

"In general there's a lot of discussion about [publishers'] back catalogs that will finally find its way to PlayStation Network in the back half of this year," Sony's John Koller told MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/03/sony-wants-non-sony-classics-on-psp/]. "PSOne is included, but everything is on the table...We look for some of those big hits from all of the past games in their history and look for ways we can bring them over."

The big obstacle, once publishers have been convinced of the idea, is emulating the games so that they'll work on the PSP. According to Koller, Sony's working on these issues and as soon as they're resolved, we'll be seeing "a wide variety of retro games and brand new games coming to PSN."

This project is part of a general project to beef up the amount of downloadable content for the handheld. According to Koller, Sony has been increasing internal development on downloadable titles as well as planning to bring over many of the downloadable PS1 games currently available in Japan but not in the West. The company's emphasis on digital distribution echoes remarks made by Koller last week in response to rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89761-Acclaim-PSP2-Is-Real-Could-Come-This-Year] that Sony is planning on releasing a PSP2 later this year that will rely solely on digital downloads for content.

One question this brings up is whether or not a beefed up PSN that rivals Virtual Console or GameTap will be enough to stop hackers from doing their dirty business. Considering that Sony probably won't be able to get a number of notable publishers (Nintendo) on board with the project, it might not be enough to get hackers to stop their shady ways. For the rest of the PSP owners who don't want or know how to crack their machines, though, it should be something to look forward to.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I am all for it if it becomes a reality. If the games are reasonably priced and is anything like how the wii has set up, it would be great. I'd love to play retro games on my PSP, hell I still gotta FIND a place around here that sells PSN cards so I can get me some of that Syphon Filter ps1 games from PSN. I hope sony pulls this off, it would be great business for them and they seriously need to beef up the PStore, it just feels so lacking right now.

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
First thing is first, we need two analog sticks

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
They should wait till the recession is over, or everyone will be buying Chinese knockoffs on eBay.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Siris said:
*sigh* no we don't. Aside from shooters I can't think of ANY other genre that really NEEDS 2 sticks to work. Save it for the next generation.

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
-Seraph- said:
Siris said:
*sigh* no we don't. Aside from shooters I can't think of ANY other genre that really NEEDS 2 sticks to work. Save it for the next generation.
Camera in third person games like Monster Hunter

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
If the programmers put enough effort into a game, auto camera can handle it nicely.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Wow, this will be awesome!

And what's up with the question at the end? Like anyone can stop hackers...

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
-Seraph- said:
If the programmers put enough effort into a game, auto camera can handle it nicely.
I hope so since the hold down Square (i think) to changed the stick from movment to camera control in splinter cell on the psp. worked but it sure was painfull and flow braking.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Even if they fully back-catalogued PSX titles would do a TON of good for the psp. ;)

Now if only they would make some kind of software, like $100 or something, that would allow you to 'pop in' a psx disk in your pc/ps3 that would let ya install said game on your psp. ;)

I'd buy it.
FFVIII oh yea baby.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Hackers will always do their dirty work, and Bog bless 'em. Sony needs to do more of this, which is make the official firmware attractive enough that end users aren't tempted to custom firmware.

That, and spread their SDK's with the promiscuity of a pox-ridden prostitute.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
-Seraph- said:
Siris said:
Ape Escape

On topic: I really don't understand why Sony has not been pursuing publisher to put their old ps1 games on the PSN, they really have no reason not to.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Who wants to pay for classic games when you can hack and get them for free? Not saying its right or wrong, but if the practice has been successful for the PSP so far, why would it stop?