No GTA Movie? Here's Why

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No GTA Movie? Here's Why

Grand Theft Auto [http://www.rockstargames.com/iv] fans puzzled by the ongoing lack of a GTA movie announcement despite the growing popularity of crossover projects have been given some clarification via a report claiming the publisher doesn't have the legal right to make the film.

Despite the unprecedented popularity of Grand Theft Auto [http://www.rockstargames.com].

According to a "studio insider" quoted by Finke, Fox still owns the rights to the movie, but has no particular plans for it. "Yes, it has been one of 400 development projects for several years," the insider said. "But they are nowhere on the script. It has certainly not been a front-burner project." Meanwhile, a legal settlement over the use of the name apparently prevents Rockstar and Take-Two from making a Grand Theft Auto movie, while Fox and other principals on the 1977 film can't make a videogame adaptation of the movie.

Finke also points out the strangeness of Fox's lack of interest in pursuing a deal to make a movie based on the game. Take-Two recently signed a deal with Universal Studios to bring the 2007 hit FPS BioShock to the big screen [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83749], but similar action with GTA has never been publicly considered, despite its runaway popularity.

One possibility is that the disinterest in adapting the property lies not with Fox but with Take-Two: The first-week sales total of Grand Theft Auto IV destroyed similar marks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83683] set by major movie releases including the Harry Potter movies and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, and there may be a reluctance to dilute the brand, either through overexposure or by softening of the game's content to accommodate the under-18 audience.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Could they not just release it under the acronym? GTA? I mean, when someone says AVP everybody knows they're talking about Alien vs Predator. If you say GTA, the person you're talking to is going to know you're talking about Grand Theft Auto.

And the AVP movies were released under the acronym...weren't they?

Feb 13, 2008
We're going about this all wrong, let's get Ron Howard to make the GTA film with the Happy Days gang.

GTA 5 : Fonz's Return

Eyyyyyyyy!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I must admit I once thought the GTA games might be based on that movie, then I read the back of the movie box & realised that no, they dont :-D. Ah well GTA games are pretty much interactive movies in themselves so dont really see the need for a film; Specially when GTA plotlines tend to be taken from films :-D

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
I actually have that movie and while it's quirkly amusing (something like Ferris Bueller's Day Off with the Blues Brothers), it's not in the same vein as the game.

Of course there's nothing to stop them making it into a TV series; it could be the next Sopranos

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
Last paragraph is right on target. Has anyone from Take2 or Rockstar ever said they were even interested in a GTA movie?

Luthorcrow

Jun 7, 2008
You are all missing the point. Anything that keeps another video game from being translated into a terrible film is a great thing. Games simply do not make good movies. If anyone can site a single example of a single film based on a game that wasn't a crime against humanity, please do...

...I know an impossible task.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
snuffler said:
Actually their proper titles are
AvP: Alien vs Predator
and
AvPR: Aliens vs Predator: Requiem

so, yes and no.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Luthorcrow said:
You are all missing the point. Anything that keeps another video game from being translated into a terrible film is a great thing. Games simply do not make good movies. If anyone can site a single example of a single film based on a game that wasn't a crime against humanity, please do...

Umm, Resident Evil? Not especially good but not that bad. But you overlook the reason video game movies are bad. It's because their either slopily made in an attempt to cash in on an increasingly large demographic or were made by Uwe Bol.

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
There is no reason to make a GTA movie. If there's no "why" then we don't need a "why not".

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Luthorcrow said:

The first Mortal Kombat movie. Cool Fights, decent special effects, ok actors, and a story that was not all that bad considering the source material

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Which surely amounts to good news? I can't think of anything worse than yet another video game being made into a movie.....

Also, Luthorcrow; what about the Final Fantasy VII movie? That's the best one that I can think of....

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
UpInSmoke said:
There is no reason to make a GTA movie. If there's no "why" then we don't need a "why not".
/agree

Given the fact that GTA is effectively an amalgamation of every modern-day cop and gangster movie ever made, what's the point?

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
There is actually a movie called grand theft auto, but its not based on the game. I saw in it in this video shop.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I don't know how having sex with a hooker to heal your wounds would translate on film.... Hmmm.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
rayman 101 said:
There is actually a movie called grand theft auto, but its not based on the game. I saw in it in this video shop.
Is this a joke?

Depending on how much depth you go into a GTA game can last over 100 hours, don't know how that would translate to the big screen.

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
MrGFunk said:
rayman 101 said:
Is this a joke?

Depending on how much depth you go into a GTA game can last over 100 hours, don't know how that would translate to the big screen.
No it's not a joke and I wasn't implying that the film was based off the video-game. If you don't believe me here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_(film)

doomngloom

Aug 8, 2009
PsiMatrix said:
Of course there's nothing to stop them making it into a TV series; it could be the next Sopranos
That's a great point, I think a TV series would have a lot of potential. Having fully developed story arcs and truly defined characters over a series of episodes would be far more interesting than a 2 hour movie. Obviously doing it right would take more time and effort than a throwaway popcorn flick, but I think GTA is one of the few licences that TV execs would take the chance on.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
snuffler said:
Could they not just release it under the acronym? GTA? I mean, when someone says AVP everybody knows they're talking about Alien vs Predator. If you say GTA, the person you're talking to is going to know you're talking about Grand Theft Auto.

It might confuse those of us who live in the Greater Toronto Area.