Banjo Kazooie Demonstration Hints Heavily at 360 Motion Controller

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Banjo Kazooie Demonstration Hints Heavily at 360 Motion Controller

A major Xbox 360 title planned for fall, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts appears to use motion control, according to a recent demonstration.

In a video walkthrough for IGN, the game's creative director, Ken Lobb, noted that players can manipulate objects by moving the controller in various ways, including shaking.

"The primary function that Kazooie has in the game is she carries this wrench and the wrench is used for many different things," Lobb explained. "One of the things that the wrench is used for is to turn these devices. So you basically grab with the wrench and then you twist the controller around and it'll move different things in the game."

That description all but confirmed ongoing rumors ahead of E3 that Microsoft is planning a motion-sensing controller for the Xbox 360.

Its direct competitor, the PlayStation 3, features limited motion control, while the massive popular Wii boasts a more robust motion-sensing mechanism.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/07/09/banjo-kazooie-trailer-strongly-suggests-360-motion-control]

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
DEEEEEEEEEEEENIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/09/microsoft-no-truth-to-banjo-kazooie-motion-control-speculatio/

Apparently he really was talking about that stick.

Northern

Dec 1, 2007
"The primary function that Kazooie has in the game is she carries this wrench and the wrench is used for many different things."

Isn't this just Ratchet and Clank? I also get the feeling that this will be multi-platform ... am I wrong?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
JakubK666 said:
DEEEEEEEEEEEENIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/09/microsoft-no-truth-to-banjo-kazooie-motion-control-speculatio/

Apparently he really was talking about that stick.
Good, I'd rather not fork out for a new controller in order to play my games.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
Northern said:
"The primary function that Kazooie has in the game is she carries this wrench and the wrench is used for many different things."

Isn't this just Ratchet and Clank? I also get the feeling that this will be multi-platform ... am I wrong?
It's Rare. I think they've usually been console exclusive even before being bought out by Microsoft.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I'm really starting to think Rare was repeatedly struck in the head with a pipe upon going to Microsoft. I can't think of any good game they put out since going there. Not even Perfect Dark Zero, and I liked that.

EDIT: To clarify this is more about the taking a formula that wasn't broke and "fixing" it, not the rumors of motion control.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AceDiamond said:
I'm really starting to think Rare was repeatedly struck in the head with a pipe upon going to Microsoft.
Actually M.Soft sent in a couple of lawyers armed with budgets. Their objective was simple, scare away any and all creative types leaving only the dry husks of the marketing department and those sweet, juicy franchises to suck dry.
They succeeded, Rare hasn't made a good game since the N64 (Starfox Adventures simply wasn't bad), most of the staff jumped ship and Free Radical was born. Shame really, so far they've buggered Perfect Dark and Conker, Banjo Kazooei seems to be the only franchise left.
Unless this turns out to be obscenely good (it won't) I can't see Rare existing muchlonger.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
AceDiamond said:
I'm really starting to think Rare was repeatedly struck in the head with a pipe upon going to Microsoft. I can't think of any good game they put out since going there. Not even Perfect Dark Zero, and I liked that.

EDIT: To clarify this is more about the taking a formula that wasn't broke and "fixing" it, not the rumors of motion control.
What about VIVA PINATA?!?!?

The greatest game ever made for the Xbox 360.

Dramus

Jul 12, 2008
I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks BK 3 looks neat. I loved the first game and got stuck in the second (I had a guide for the first, I should probably Gamefaq the second at some point), and that's actually a big reason why I'm glad they're mixing things up. If they made a game that was similar to the old ones (BK 1 especially) I just couldn't like it as much as I should unless it was obscenely good, because it couldn't live up to what is now one of my treasured childhood memories. At least this way it can differentiate itself, and if it sucks, well, I've still got my N64.