Games for Windows Gets Revamped

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Games for Windows Gets Revamped

Microsoft is seeking to breathe new life into its Games for Windows initiative.

The company announced that multiplayer components for all titles branded Games for Windows will now be free.

Some of these features include matchmaking, achievements, and cross-platform compatibility, which were previously a exclusive to Gold subscribers.

These changes will be incorporated into all existing GFW titles (such as GRID, pictured) as well as future ones.

Many PC users, who have long enjoyed free multiplayer options, were not keen on the previous structure, which borrowed heavily from its paid subscriber-based Xbox model.

Microsoft also said it will bring the Xbox Live Marketplace to the PC in the fall and that the in-game user interface for Windows Live will be retooled.

The company also laid out some claims for DirectX 11, saying it will bring the graphics quality of games closer to that of pre-rendered animation through tessellation and new shader technology.

Source: Gamespot.com [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194918.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2]

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
god, this brings back memories of a certian MGG review...that was a long time ago...before I joined...

I'm sticking STEAM thank you very much

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
I've bought so many games on Steam; I think the directory is over 100gb now...