Capcom Hosting Resident Evil 5 Blood Drive

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Hosting Resident Evil 5 Blood Drive

Resident Evil 5 [http://www.capcom.com/] in the U.S. by holding a blood drive at the World of Wonder gallery on Hollywood Blvd. in Los Angeles.

Being held on March 13 by Capcom and the Xbox 360 [http://www.redcross.org/] systems.

Capcom will also have kiosks running Resident Evil 5 set up for the event, so anxious gamers can get some hands-on experience with the game while helping out their fellow man. And since Capcom will be giving away copies of the game, they recommend donating blood before buying your own copy - on top of everything else, you might even save a few bucks.

Drop-ins are welcome but Capcom is asking gamers who plan to attend to sign up in advance at capcom-unity.com [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2009/03/04/give_resident_evil_5_a_shot__win_a_red_xbox_bundle].

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Isn't it true that a lot of people of African descent aren't eligible to donate blood because of sickle cell diseases?

If that's the case, could this be another situation were Capcom didn't set out to be intentionally racist, but didn't really think things through...?

Really Capcom, your heart may be in the right place, but in the wake of the racism furore, it probable not the wisest type of promotion to run, a promotion in which members of the very group you've been accused of being racist too can't participate due to an unfortunate and uncontrollable genetic trait.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Holy shit... The blood people are coming to my school next Tuesday. You gotta be 17 to give blood but I'm not 17 til the Friday.
Deathly afraid of needles anyway, but if these came to my school I think I could be persuaded :p

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Shame, I already give blood but I live in UK so I wont be able to get any swag.

Anyone else seeing a pattern with odd marketing techniques?
Black cats in London for FEAR2.
FREE PETROL for Mercenaries 2.
Now giving blood?

Whilst this isnt as much marketing as it is a good deed, its still promoting the game by using some strange methods.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
Maybe they are doing it so they can see what blood looks like so they can improve the game textures... just a thought.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
People, think this through.
Letting capcom put needles into your vein..?
These are the people who think that all American soldiers are trained to check to see if their foes are zombies.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Jamash said:
Isn't it true that a lot of people of African descent aren't eligible to donate blood because of sickle cell diseases?

If that's the case, could this be another situation were Capcom didn't set out to be intentionally racist, but didn't really think things through...?

Really Capcom, your heart may be in the right place, but in the wake of the racism furore, it probable not the wisest type of promotion to run, a promotion in which members of the very group you've been accused of being racist too can't participate due to an unfortunate and uncontrollable genetic trait.
... Are you SERIOUS?! Your crying racism at a BLOOD DRIVE!?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Jamash said:

... Are you SERIOUS?! Your crying racism at a BLOOD DRIVE!?
If it's racist to exclude people with blood diseases from donating blood, then I suppose I am.

Personally I don't think it's racist, it just makes sense (the same as how excluding homosexual men from giving blood isn't homophobic, they just don't want the risk of HIV getting into the blood banks).

I wouldn't call it racist myself (but then I didn't think the initial controversy over Resident Evil 5 was racist), I just think it's a little short sighted of Capcom to be running this particular promotion after they've being accused of racism towards Africans.

All it takes is one or two disgruntled black gamers to be denied the chance of getting the free Resident Evil 5 stuff because of a trait in their blood inherited from their African ancestors, for the inappropriate accusations of racism to start flying again.

I know it's stupid, but most hysterical controversies are.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Kodlak said:
Maybe they are doing it so they can see what blood looks like so they can improve the game textures... just a thought.
Sounds good to me, sadly I'm no where near the area of the blood drive.

Darky252

Feb 27, 2009
This sucks I already donate blood in the UK and all I get is a couple of biscuits. I feel cheated.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
EmileeElectro said:
Holy shit... The blood people are coming to my school next Tuesday. You gotta be 17 to give blood but I'm not 17 til the Friday.
Deathly afraid of needles anyway, but if these came to my school I think I could be persuaded :p
Don't be a pussy. I'm having a shot every week for 14 weeks already, and I've got 4 more. I would gladly give my blood, if not for the stupid 18+ requirement.