Hasbro Steps Up Fight Against Scrabulous

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hasbro Steps Up Fight Against Scrabulous

The gloves have come off in the battle between Facebook [http://www.scrabble.com/] application for copyright infringement.

sent a notice [http://www.hasbro.com/] to Facebook requesting the game's removal from the service. At the time, Scrabulous co-creator Jayant Agarwalla expressed hope that a compromise could be reached, and despite Hasbro's request, the game has remained available to Facebook users.

Hasbro appears somewhat disinclined to look for a happy middle ground, however, announcing that it has sued Jayant and his brother, Rajat Agarwalla, and their company, RJ Softwares [http://rjsoftwares.com/], and served a copyright infringement notice to Facebook. "Hasbro has an obligation to act appropriately against infringement of our intellectual properties," said Barry Nagler, Hasbro general counsel. "We view the Scrabulous application as clear and blatant infringement of our Scrabble intellectual property, and we are pursuing this legal action in accordance with the interests of our shareholders, and the integrity of the Scrabble brand."

One possible explanation for the company's new aggressiveness is its announced on July 7 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/75834] that an official version of Scrabble was coming to Facebook later in the month, and while the "real" version of the game has been given the support of the National Scrabble Association, Scrabulous is a well-established and popular Facebook application, reporting 2.3 million active users in January 2008.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
And what will be funny is the "official" version of the game probably won't be as good as the free version.

brkl

Jul 12, 2006
It's a pretty clear cut case, really. I like playing it, but Scrabulous is a simple rip-off of Scrabble.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Better watch out: Next they'll be suing The Escapist for having their own version of 'Yahtzee'.

Karisse

Apr 16, 2008
brkl said:
It's a pretty clear cut case, really. I like playing it, but Scrabulous is a simple rip-off of Scrabble.
Agreed. People will probably cry about "The Man" stomping on the little guy, but Scrabulous has nothing to bring to the table. Every function of the game is stolen straight from Scrabble.

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
Had the creators of this 'Scrabulous' ever considered that making an unlisenced copy of a game is called Copyright Infringement?

Triple Letter Score!

DarkHyth

Apr 10, 2008
Unfortunately, popular as it may be, Scrabulous is a blatant case of copyright infringement - they seemingly made no attempt to disguise this fact - and I think we can be fairly certain who will lose here. They should have seen this coming eventually.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Karisse said:
brkl said:
Agreed. People will probably cry about "The Man" stomping on the little guy, but Scrabulous has nothing to bring to the table. Every function of the game is stolen straight from Scrabble.
I have no sympathy for the two "developers" of Scrabulous; Hasbro made an offer to buy them out when this first bubbled up, and their counteroffer was insane (high-8-digit insane, if I remember correctly) to the point that they either *had* to expect Hasbro to go nuclear or that the term "insane" may apply in its clinical sense.

-- Steve

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Anton P. Nym said:
Karisse said:
brkl said:
I have no sympathy for the two "developers" of Scrabulous; Hasbro made an offer to buy them out when this first bubbled up, and their counteroffer was insane (high-8-digit insane, if I remember correctly) to the point that they either *had* to expect Hasbro to go nuclear or that the term "insane" may apply in its clinical sense.

-- Steve
What is the moral of this story? If you are gonna be pretensious indie's then don't steal from evil toy companies.