The Escapist Staff Street Fighter IV Throwdown

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Escapist Staff Street Fighter IV Throwdown

Over the next week - March 9th through March 13th - four members of The Escapist staff are going to clash heads in the game of champions: Street Fighter IV. We welcome The Escapist community to come pick their favorite competitor - everyone who chooses a fighter to support will earn a special Street Fighter IV badge, and if your fighter wins? Well, you'll get an even more special Street Fighter IV badge!

Meet Your Fighters

Name: John "Can't Fake the" Funk
Character: Sakura, Sagat
Controller: Hori EX2 Fighting Stick
Bio: Raised in New Jersey, John Funk's formative years were spent dodging Mafia hitmen after his family's ancestral fortune. The constant attempts on his life forged him into a lethal combat machine who will stop at nothing to triumph. He will bring the Funk - and by Funk, he means absolute subjugation.
Why He'll Win: Home-field advantage! Repping the Escapist home offices, boy-ee!

The winner of this Escapist Royal Rumble will get fame, fortune, and eternal smack-talking rights. The loser will receive untold humiliation.

So plunk down your quarter, and let the showdown begin!

Update: Select your fighter here! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.93099]

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
My vote's got to go to Nil. For various and sundry reasons. But mostly because he's going to win.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I chose you! Nilcypher!

A simple controller is all you need, none of those fancy arcade sticks.
And Nil wins, purely for picking Vega. So very beautiful.

(Yes I'm shallow sometimes, wanna fight about it?)

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
I'm going to have to put my money one Keane "Keane Ng" Ng for two reasons. the first is his name, not Keane Ng but how you say it with his escapist username, sounds very funny. the second is because his character has my schools mascot in it's name which makes be required by law to support him. Okay that and I haven't played street fighter since 2 and I really don't know who's good out of these guys, that and I haven't seen a picture as good as his since the the Jason Rea vs 50 Cent picture.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Gooooooo Funk! *dances with pom-poms*
I am very disappointed that no one is playing Chun Li, but Sakura is also awesome. So kick ass, Funk, or I'll kick yours.

"...at Nintendo."

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
I'll go for John Funk, as he is secure enough in his masculinity to use a woman fighter. LIKE ME! CHUN-LI FOR PRESIDENT!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Can't fake the funk for the WIN!
C'mon Funk! I got my last quarter on you!

MCGT

Sep 27, 2008
I've got to go for the Funky Master. Who could argue with a name like his?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
reaper_2k9 said:
Gotta go with Funk all my quarters are on you!
Putting all your quarters on Funk now is like putting all your money in Enron stock in 2000.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
reaper_2k9 said:
Gotta go with Funk all my quarters are on you!
Putting all your quarters on Funk now is like putting all your money in Enron stock in 2000.
Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, or maybe I believe that the funk cant be faked.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Drake the Dragonheart said:
I am going to throw my support behind the guy who right now appears to be the underdog, so go Tendo!
Same, love his articles and hopefully he knows what hes doing playing as Rufus lol.
GO TENDO.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
harhol said:
Can't begin to consider backing the two pulling silly faces... that leaves Keane & nilcypher.

Standard 360 Controller nilcypher... are you mad?

Obvious winner: Keane "Keane Ng" Ng
Not mad, just very, very good.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
John "Can't Fake the" Funk = win

His face is full of determination, and by that I mean anger.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
GodsClown said:
John "Can't Fake the" Funk = win

His face is full of determination, and by that I mean anger.
You say that, but the very next second he ran away screaming.

He was trying to intimidate a puppy.

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
nilcypher said:
harhol said:
Can't begin to consider backing the two pulling silly faces... that leaves Keane & nilcypher.

Standard 360 Controller nilcypher... are you mad?

Obvious winner: Keane "Keane Ng" Ng
Not mad, just very, very good.
I'll have to agree with Harhol. Keane it is. The standard controller is just too finicky about joystick movements.