Discord and Rhyme: My Cowboys Have Always Been Heroes

Matt Turano

Jul 30, 2008
Discord and Rhyme: My Cowboys Have Always Been Heroes

Matt Turano accidentally exposes his young son to the depravity that is Grand Theft Auto, and lives to tell the tale.

Read Full Article

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
An amazingly well written and insightful article. I really have to agree with the point you end on, we should savor the moments we have now, because before we know it, we won't be able too.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I was hoping to see some explanation of the Duran Duran/Willie Nelson references in the article's title. Color me disappointed by that, but overall satisfied with the writeup.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Discord and Rhyme is the name of Matt's bi-weekly column. As for the Cowboys/Heroes thing...yeah, honestly I'm not sure. Then again, what can you expect from a freelance cat whisperer?

Matt Turano

Jul 30, 2008
I'm not sure about the title either. I've never been particularly good at naming things, but I'll try to make the next one more relevant.

Actually, I'd be happy just to call them all "Mayonnaise," or "Embarrassing Rug Burn," but those would probably meet with editorial disfavor.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Matt Turano said:
I'm not sure about the title either. I've never been particularly good at naming things, but I'll try to make the next one more relevant.

Actually, I'd be happy just to call them all "Mayonnaise," or "Embarrassing Rug Burn," but those would probably meet with editorial disfavor.
How about

"Words. From a Person. By Matt Turano.

By the way, you have an awesome last name. It kind of rolls off the tongue, sounds like a brand of steak sauce..

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Cute and fun column, but I found that you didn't tie gaming into it as much as I would like, even thoguh parenting advice is awesome stuff. ;)

Hope to read more in the future.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
First off: D'AWWWWWWWW

Ok got that out of my system:
While it may not have been overtly pure gaming, it does touch on that very vital point that with games, who you are gets revealed in how you play and even the games you play. The game doesn't hold a gun to your head and tell you to mow down a few crack whores in a stolen vehicle. It's our already existing impulses being let out for a breath of fresh air that drive some to swing towards the more violent excesses in games such as GTA.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Matt Turano said:
I would so totally run those. Then again, upon learning that I would have to write four papers for my senior English Lit class, I entitled them "Birthday Party," "Cheesecake," "Jellybean," and "Boom." So perhaps titular restraint and accuracy is not my strong point.

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Awww... That was one of the nicest and most heartwarming pieces I've ever read about gaming experiences. It's nice to see gaming being discussed as a bonding experience, especially when the game concerned is Grand Theft Auto.

I look forward to your other work.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Matt Turano said:
I would so totally run those. Then again, upon learning that I would have to write four papers for my senior English Lit class, I entitled them "Birthday Party," "Cheesecake," "Jellybean," and "Boom." So perhaps titular restraint and accuracy is not my strong point.
Could be worse, I was semi-infamous in the History Department at my University for always titling my papers with aweful puns.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Matt Turano said:
Could be worse, I was semi-infamous in the History Department at my University for always titling my papers with aweful puns.
I titled one "Paper" once. *shrug* I thought it was funny, even if no one else did.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
As a dad and a gamer, I can so totally relate to this article. I thought the writing was thoroughly entertaining, my wife was even smirking at me reading the article to her between my chuckles. "Unsupervised Dad" Hehe...

Thank you for that article. Now I'm off to see what my lil'daredevil daughter is laughing about... Ahh, rice crispies, yes, those are funny to throw... =D

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Matt Turano said:

I just didn't read that as a regular feature title. Stick with "Discord and Rhyme"; I like it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mining the vast cultural veins of the Duran Duran oeuvre for titular inspiration, but there is something wrong with writing sentences like this one.

(I wrote that before I discovered that Susan has a similar fascination with the word 'titular'. Tee-hee.)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
To say nothing of my fascination with Duran Duran.
Now that kinda thing is just unhealthy (goes back to listening to "girls on film" and "view to a kill").

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Matt Turano said:
I would so totally run those.
And this is one of the many, many reasons why The Escapist is superior to its digital peers.

Matt Turano

Jul 30, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I would so totally run those.
Hmm. Sounds almost like a...challenge.

Then again, upon learning that I would have to write four papers for my senior English Lit class, I entitled them "Birthday Party," "Cheesecake," "Jellybean," and "Boom." So perhaps titular restraint and accuracy is not my strong point.
Those are evocative, especially if they all draw inspiration from the same event. Not sure I wanna know about the "Boom," though, if they do. (What kind of scary-ass jellybeans did you have at YOUR birthday parties, anyway??)