Stolen Pixels #8: Just Between us Girls

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #8: Just Between us Girls

In this installment of Stolen Pixels, Shamus Young's milkshake brings all the boys to the World of Warcraft, but he's just not that kind of girl.

pseudoidiot

Jul 22, 2008
Aww, c'mon Shamus, why you gotta play hard to get? :)

Seriously, though, great comic as usual. Especially love the, "So... You're a gay man pretending to be a woman so you can hook up with straight men pretending to be lesbians?" HA!

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I'm just tired of the trite excuse "if I'm going to be staring at an ass..." excuse. I'm fine with having reasons to play a chick, but at some point there are just excuses. If you want to look at a scantily clad female the whole time, just say it. "I have a massive libido that I cannot shut off!". That's not an excuse, that's a reason.

I mean, seriously, you didn't play with Barbie as a child because "if I'm going to be staring at a plastic model, it may as well have big boobs". I mean, come on.

Some people want to look at something hot. Some people want to experiment in a fantasy environment. Some people just want to explore role-playing (which can get creepy if taken too far). But, for the most part, most people just have a wild libido and feel the need to justify it with a trite term that sounds retarded.

Lorechaser

Aug 28, 2004
Well done again, Shamus. I groaned when the link on Twenty-Sided said you were making the guys playing girls joke, but it was still pretty funny.

My wife has told me I'm not allowed to refer to *anything* as a milkshake any more, so I was especially amused to see that line.

@ccesarano: There are probably some people like that. There are some people that feel like the character models look better/more appropriate on other genders sometimes. Have you *looked* at male trolls in WoW, f'r instance? At least now they have the tribal art on their faces, which is more interesting, but seriously.... I have some males, some females. Mostly males. At some point, I've made just about every Tauren combination I can, so I switch over to the other gender. Or sometimes, I have a horribly punny name that just won't work on a male. Anything with "udderly" in the name has to go on a female tauren.

And for me, it's inevitable that if I make 10 characters, and one is female, the one that's female will be the one I enjoy playing. Just seems to be a fact of life.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
I got into the habit of playing as girls for purely functional reasons - my best characters in Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter were the buxom babes, Chun Li and Sarah. Now it's a bit of a habit to gender-balance the characters I make. I am so bored of space marines / WW2 marines that it's good to hear a voice that doesn't sound like Christian Bale's Batman once in a while. The only person to complain? An ex-girlfriend, because SHE wanted to be the girl.

Also, recently the female content has been better than the male content anyway. Think Mass Effect's lady voice actor, or Rock Band's sweet outfits.

Brunsh

Aug 1, 2008
@ccesarano: People who do the "if I'm going to be staring at an ass..." excuse usually do that because they have been attacked with the "a guy who plays a girl, that's so gay!" line.

To get back to the main subject, I'm not insecure in my sexuality. I play an equal mix of male and female characters, just like I have one character for every race, and for every class. I just like the diversity, I don't project myself into the characters I play.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
This has always been an interesting debate. Back in my elder days on the Compuserve RPG forum one of my best friends actually told me that he didn't want me to use his real name because it limited his ability to play both genders. He was strictly "gender neutral" in game and nobody really seemed to mind all that much.

When evolving into table top gaming, there would simply be times when we would have character concepts that screamed "female". I've had other P&P gamers look at me oddly when I say I've one of my all time favorite characters was a female, especially when my wife is next to me and I'm holding my one year old.

MMOs are the next big Roleplaying venue, so it's only natural that it follows through. Male or female, a character is a character. If you are going to do them justice, you have to keep yourself independant of the character and play them as they exists.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Jhereg42 brings up a good point: In a tabletop game, one person plays all the NPCs. So either everyone in the whole world is the same gender, or you have to be comfortable with a little cross-gender RP.

Tabletop gamers are fine with this, but players in a computer game sometimes freak out for whatever reason.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
After seing (read: becoming obsessed) Kill Bill I want to model all my characters after Beatrix kiddo.

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
When I played WoW I played on a roleplaying server, so for me, gender swas more than asthetics. My response when smeone asked "Why would a guy play a female character?" was "Why would a human play an elf character?", it seems like, according to the one I asked "that's not the same thing".

The "if I'm going to stare at an ass" argument doesn't work to me, because that's not where I look when playing, neither with male nor female characters.

DrDrizzew

Aug 1, 2008
Ok, fine, call me a geek for this, but this comic clearly doesn't take place in Goldshire. I'm just saying.

Samrobb

Aug 1, 2008
"When I play as a Dwarf nobody thinks I secretly want to be a four-foot alcoholic with enough facial hair to stuff a matress."

As a fan of dwarves, I have to say that this characterization was both (a) hilarious and (b) spot-on. A definite coffee through the nose event, there.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
"Some people play as Tauren, but that doesn't mean they want to have sex with cows."

That's the only reason I made my Tauren character.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Jhereg42 brings up a good point: In a tabletop game, one person plays all the NPCs. So either everyone in the whole world is the same gender, or you have to be comfortable with a little cross-gender RP.

Tabletop gamers are fine with this, but players in a computer game sometimes freak out for whatever reason.
That depends on the maturity of the group, to be honest. A group of 13 year old kids experimenting with their first game of D&D are going to have different expectations than a group of 30 year olds playing a WoD mixed rules game. The former will more than likely lack the maturity to play a game where a character is not of the same gender because they are still defining their sexuality. It makes them uncomfortable, but because they are all playing together the group dynamic stays the same. The 30 year olds are likely far more self defined and as such have no problem diving into a character of the other gender. By that time, your sexual orientation should be a well defined part of your self image. This reflects itself in the group dynamic.

This is where the on-line realm runs into it's issues. People of all age ranges play on the same server, and thus the experiences are all mixed. A 26 year old who likes playing a hot and sassy night elf healer is running with a warrior who is 14 and cannot imagine a guy playing the sassy hot chick.

The "if I'm going to look" arguement is really an arguement geared toward that mindset. P&P may still be the "nerd" group of RPG fanatics, but when interacting through MMOs a good background in tabletop gaming can really make the experience far more engrossing.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
DrDrizzew said:
Ok, fine, call me a geek for this, but this comic clearly doesn't take place in Goldshire. I'm just saying.
I no rite?! There are no columns like that in Goldshire.

/Nerdsigh

Very funny comic. I laughed at the dwarf thing, too, Samrobb.

dentarthurdent

Aug 1, 2008
Guilty. To the point of claiming to be female in RL, too. When I bump into the flirty ones, I just mutter something about my "husband," and if they don't get the point I /ignore and walk away.

I'm not that kind of girl.

lesterley

Jul 25, 2008
And the ultimate irony?

The person playing the human character in this comic strip is ACTUALLY A WOMAN (yes, me).

I used to belong to an all-female guild on Bronzebeard, called Daughters of the Alliance. Occasionally we would get guys who would pretend to be women in an effort to join our guild. I really don't know what they were expecting, but most of the time guild chat consisted of someone complaining about their jerky boss, lamenting yesterday's chem lab quiz or describing the latest cuteness of their kitten.

What, exactly, do you guys THINK we talk about when you're not around?

Excellent comic, Shamus. But I never, EVER, want to see a mattress filled with dwarf hair!

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
lesterley said:
Excellent comic, Shamus. But I never, EVER, want to see a mattress filled with dwarf hair!
Fine. But now I have NO IDEA what to get you for your birthday.

neminem

Aug 2, 2008
Absolutely brilliant. I registered here just so I could tell you that each comic here is better than the one previous (and they've all been pretty good).

As a guy whose first character in WoW was female... I approve. But I don't hide the fact that I'm male at all - in fact, I even purposely gave that character a rather male name. I just wanted to play a night elves, and male night elves are ugly. I didn't feel like looking at the back of one for hours, and the solution was obvious enough.

It's funny, though - I meet a lot of other female characters who thought like me... haven't met any (at least to my knowledge) who were trying to actually be female. Course, what would I know... they could just not suck at it.