HanbitSoft Confirms No More Hellgate For Western Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
HanbitSoft Confirms No More Hellgate For Western Gamers

Korean publisher Namco Bandai [http://www.hanbitsoft.com/].

Hellgate: London was shut down on February 1 on this year after a short-lived and convoluted history that saw the downfall of the original developer, confusion over the game's future and even about who actually had the rights to the IP in the first place. Soon after the demise of developer Flagship Studios, HanbitSoft stepped up and announced it had Redbana [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84985] working on the game and press releases continuing to come in English, some fans continued to hold out hope for the game's return to Western shores.

Alas, it is not to be. Janelle Ha, HanbitSoft's global public relations manager, confirmed today that the company still does not have rights to the game outside Asia and has no intention of trying to change that situation. "I know there are many fans who are from US and Europe, who have many Hellgate inquiries," she wrote on Game Espresso [http://hanbitgame-espresso.blogspot.com/2009/03/korean-hellgate-london-fans-welcome.html]. "You guys should contact the person in charge at Namco directly, you should be able to get the answers from them."

The answer from them, unfortunately, is a very distinct "no."

Source: GameCyte [http://www.gamecyte.com/hanbitsoft-admits-hellgate-london-will-not-receive-us-updates]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I remenber the hype for this game...I remenber also it crashing down when it released...

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I remember spending 3 months having the fun of my life with an amazing guild in this game, and how every hope of spending every penny I earned to vanquish the foes of darkness, vanished when Patch 2.0 never showed up, and the drama of FS losing their rights on HG. :(

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
I remember getting this game...then after a few months...just kinda....forgot about it...it just wasn't stable.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Diablo III better put my PC back together after this game blow it apart.

Disclaimer: Never actually played HG and probably won't play Diablo III because of PC limitations

:(

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I alpha and beta tested this game. The whole community told them to push back the release and finish the game.

Tremble ye mighty and despair.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Still waiting for the collector's edition to go down to 20 bucks...

Blindem

Feb 10, 2009
It's not worth it, even at $20. This game was terrible, and after (stupidly) falling for the hype, buying it when it first came out, and uninstalling it after (maybe) a day of play -- making it the most expensive coaster I have in the entire house -- I wasn't surprised to see FSS crash and burn. Namco is actually making the smart decision here; I just feel sorry for them for getting stuck with the US/Euro rights to this "intellectual property."

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Malygris said:
Still waiting for the collector's edition to go down to 20 bucks...
Whats the point? Sure you can play single player, and...

Who am I kidding, no one actually co-op'd in that game >_>. -I- didn't Co-Op in that game.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Wow its games that are this bad that make me thank the game gods that I have such a crappy pc, because if I had a decent rig I would have bought this game. *hugs computer*

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Well, getting it for 5 bucks ain't the end of the world, then. And Shadowrun for the same price. Thank you Circuit City.

Neveragain99

Mar 26, 2009
Funny thing is... some of us did contact Namco Bandi... this is their responce

Thank you for contacting NAMCO BANDAI's Customer Support Department.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Unfortunately, Hanbitsoft now owns all of the intellectual property for this title and as such Namco Bandai no longer has any affiliation with Hellgate: London. We can only recommend contacting Hanbitsoft for more information on the state of the game and its servers. Please feel free to contact us again in the future as the need arises. Customer Support

[email protected]
NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.4555 Great America Parkway, Suite 201Santa Clara, CA 95054
Tel: (408) 235-2222

so... ovously hanibitsoft needs to get the story strait!