161: Stumbling Into the Kingdom of Loathing

Robert Janelle

Aug 4, 2008
Stumbling Into the Kingdom of Loathing

"The job was supposed to be easy. All I had to do was find some missing art supplies. That was, until I found myself being attacked by a goblin barbecue team. Next thing I know, I'm getting a severe tong-lashing (not a typo) from the chef.

"Realizing how dangerous goblins with access to hot coals are, I did the only thing I could. I bashed them in the face with my trusty disco ball. But that's all in a day's work for an enterprising Disco Bandit, on a quest to save the strange and puzzling world that is Kingdom of Loathing, a browser-based, multiplayer RPG."

Read Full Article

mintfresh

Nov 28, 2007
I was more surprised than I guess I should be to see thhis article. I've been a KoLer for about three years now, and I still play often. It's fun and funny and with a great community, so it's good to see it getting some love. That said, it's weird to see the creators called by their real names, and not their in-game ones XD

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
I've been playing Kingdom of Loathing for over a year now, and it's the only mmo game that has managed to keep me interested for such a time. A great game is it!

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
Get in a solid clan with good people and there's really no reason to ever stop. I've built some pretty solid partnerships with people on there just by being nice.

Shushyne4np2ne

Jul 28, 2008
Wow, I've never heard of this game, Thanks for bringing it to the light. I don't have the time for MMO's, so maybe I'll check this guy out. Sounds like my kind of humor. Great article!

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
It was a well written article that I enjoyed, but it seemed like it was written by someone who hadn't been playing the game for too long. There were a few of factual errors. Maybe I'm just crazy, but after playing for four years, contributing ideas that have gotten implemented, it bugs me a little.

A side note, the one serious offer J&S(Jick and Skully[Zackary and Joshua]) received to buy the game was, "I'll give you and Mr. Skullhead enough to buy fancy sports cars, and you'll work in a cubicle for me".

Another interesting piece, Jick lies. He does try to make money, but just enough to pay for his solid gold Ferrari's, diamond plane, and certain hand services from some women.

neminem

Aug 2, 2008
Yup. As another KoLer (been playing for about a year and a half), and a rather recent joiner to this site (namely, this was the first issue I got)... I was likewise reasonably surprised to see it show up here. I suppose I know it's getting more and more notable, but it still feels like the sort of game that only spreads by personal word of mouth, not by articles on major sites.

But yeah. Generally a good article, few minor errors but that always happens. One, while mixing and cooking are the most well-known skills, there is actually a system very much like alchemy (granted, the skills it requires are cooking skills, but it still results in the creation of potions, and even allows you to transmute between different kinds of base elemental items, a mainstay of alchemy in gaming). It even has an obvious allusion to WoW's disenchanting, "pulverizing", the result of which is those base elemental items you can transmute. Also, while there used to be a hard 200-turn cap, there hasn't been one for ages - now, that cap is only applied at rollover, meaning you can easily enough get 250-300 turns starting fresh, or 400 if you bank turns from the previous day. Finally, I was surprised at the lack of mention of the Mr. Accessory - "donation" in the KoL world means something slightly different than it does out in the real world, as the result of your "donation" is a shiny in-game item of the month, which is both collectible and (generally) highly useful.

Still - overall, that was a pretty good history/summary of the game, and I'm sure it'll get a bunch of new people in.

And clouddy - you clearly haven't hung out enough on the KoL forums. The devteams' interest in "gold ferraris" (and Jick's, specifically) was one of the original memes, there. It's generally spoken sarcastically, as when, for instance, someone comes up with a brilliant idea that can be summarized as "let's re-introduce an old Item of the Month", and everyone rolls their eyes. :D

Milkatron

Jul 18, 2008
I loved the game (my file was cancelled when I decided having sex with girls was fun). As a well-trained sauceror with a successful mini-mart, many good times are had playing. That Holy Maguffin quest thing was ANNOYING though. Hell ramen is good for your inner satan.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
neminem said:
And clouddy - you clearly haven't hung out enough on the KoL forums. The devteams' interest in "gold ferraris" (and Jick's, specifically) was one of the original memes, there. It's generally spoken sarcastically, as when, for instance, someone comes up with a brilliant idea that can be summarized as "let's re-introduce an old Item of the Month", and everyone rolls their eyes. :D
It's their joke for anything to do with money, like how much do they make, what, do they spend it on, etc. I personally liked the Diamond Plane that was mentioned on their radio show(hey, did you know KoL also has a free, awesome shoutcast radio station that can provide you with contest and music to adventure to, and the twice a week show with any number of the devs, their friends, countrymen, and women, that wasn't mentioned in the article? It's here: www.radio-kol.net!). It would just crash, but at least it would be a safe crash and wouldn't harm the plane.

Slingback78

Apr 16, 2008
It is a great little game, and I think the attraction of it to some is that it doesn't demand a head full of strategy and hours of time; it can be played in an extremely casual manner, which is rare for a goal orientated game (as opposed to your usual casual-aimed puzzle or flash game).

It also helps that is has a good sense of humour and can be easily played over dial-up, as it has very small graphics and so few animated creations I can count them on my fingers.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Holy **** - I didn't know there were so many KoLers at escapist.

I stopped playing after I sold my Hockey Stick of Furious Angry Rage for half a million meat. I've got a mister accessory so my account won't be deleted if it's idle.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
My brother really digs this game and he tried to get me to play. I thought it was clever and funny, but I could never really get into it. I really prefer games that allow me to get my ass handed to me by other people in real time.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I never expected to see KoL players on this forum!

Anyway, if you're having problems with this game, all you need to do is kill the hermit. With the equipment he drops you'll never have problems ever again, even after NS13.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
AboveUp said:
I never expected to see KoL players on this forum!

Anyway, if you're having problems with this game, all you need to do is kill the hermit. With the equipment he drops you'll never have problems ever again, even after NS13.
Oh how I miss that joke ;_;

I can't believe I haven't gone running back to KoL and farming meat for my next acension, maybe I feel that if I go back I'll be too far behind. Especially since I sold that ultra-rare.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
I stopped playing after 13 SC Ascensions I was speeding up to a 4 day, with just pilgrim sheild and prepping.(Not to much.) Then I mmged up 20million meat from 4..Then I cocked up and lost it all. I have swore it off since even though I love it just takes up too much time even if I mafiaed... Seriously I didn't play shit for months when I found it since I was constantly working hard I would eat hang around listening to radio and then work on my strategy with like minded fellows..

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
Played through it once as a pastamancer.
I loved the way their magic could fire random stuff at your opponent, going from beams of strippers to cones of sewage. That skill has been replaced now with ravioli shurikens and cannelloni cannons.
Playing as a turtle tamer now but taking it very slowly so the jokes don't get old.