17 Percent of GTA IV Owners Underage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
17 Percent of GTA IV Owners Underage

A Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.nielsen.com/solutions/games.html] players has found that 17 percent of respondents were between the ages of seven and 16.

According to the results of the survey, 61 percent of those "younger gamers" had purchased Grand Theft Auto IV themselves, while the remainder had it purchased for them by someone else - most often, a parent or guardian. "Interestingly enough, parents/guardians were pegged as the biggest facilitators for getting the controversial game into the hands of these young respondents, garnering 80 percent of the response," Nielsen said in its report. "Friends, siblings and other relatives rounded out the other 20 percent of the response."

Unfortunately, the Nielsen survey did not determine the percentage of parents who made an informed choice to let their kids play the game, as opposed to those who were merely uneducated about or indifferent toward ESRB [http://www.esrb.org] ratings or the game's content. There was also no breakdown of ages beyond "under 17," the ESRB-recommended minimum age for purchasing M (Mature) videogames.

Despite the fact that under-17 gamers are still able to get their hands on games like Grand Theft Auto IV, an FTC report [http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/05/secretshop.shtm] from earlier in the year determined that ESRB ratings worked effectively, with videogame sales showing far greater compliance with recommended age ratings than sales of movie tickets, DVDs and music. In that survey, the FTC found 20 percent of underage "secret shoppers" were able to buy M (Mature) rated videogames, compared to 35 percent who were able to buy an R-rated movie ticket, 47 percent who purchased an R-rated DVD and 54 percent who bought PAL (Parental Advisory Label) music CDs.

On a related note, the same survey determined that despite Sony's protestations, the promise of exclusive episodic content on the PS3 [http://www.xbox.com] in April and I personally don't think there's going to be a huge percentage of folks who jump into downloadable content for another price when they're still playing the core product."

Shamanic Enzan

Dec 17, 2007
In the end it comes down to supervision, GTAIV and other M rated games don't try to hide the label. Maybe out of that 17 percent that's underage, about 60 percent (conservative estimate) of them might be mature enough to handle the content! The whole "overprotection" of kids these days makes me slightly ill now. When some of the things on the news are more disturbing than most of what I see or hear in a video game...ick I'm going off point again.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh, I thought that Sony exec. said that "it's not gonna sell more Xboxes, but it'll get more XBL subscriptions"

He's pretty much right - assuming that's whathe said.

As for the headline, it's no surprise, as with a lot of other M-Rated games, hell why are there so many "little ones" on Halo 3 multiplayer?

Shamanic Enzan

Dec 17, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.68313.624486 said:
As for the headline, it's no surprise, as with a lot of other M-Rated games, hell why are there so many "little ones" on Halo 3 multiplayer?
Simple: It's popular, everyone wants to be like the cool kids. I'm thinking of changing back to default armors just so midgets stop asking me how to unlock certain pieces.

Serious_Stalin

Aug 11, 2008
I used to work at a place which sold games around the time GTA4 was released, as far as I know a kid is very lucky to buy a game without his parent there but most parents seem happy to oblige and I don't blame them. And now a kid can set up an amazon account and have a card at 16, or steal daddys.

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
From past experience, I don't think a lot of parents QUITE understand exactly how fucked up GTA can be, because of their own ignorance toward games in general, or through mis-information, there are always the kids who can use any means to get what they want from their parents.

I know it's wrong to shelter kids from the realities of life, but some of the scenes in GTA are way past that. Hearing Niko swear himself blind, and then fill a corpse full of bullets in blood rage, sort of destroys the innocence of childhood... JUST a little bit.

At the end of the day though, I'm surprised the percentage is so low! Just 17 percent? It could be worse, and I don't think, like a lot of things, we'd ever get a utopian, 0% so minimization is the only target to shoot for.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
The stat that surprises me is that 61% of underaged players say they bought it themselves. That doesn't match my expectation at all... with ID checks and the lack of credit availability I thought the number would be closer to the "secret shopper" figure of 20%. Hmm. I guess there's a lot of fake ID and uncontrolled parental credit cards out there, or more sloppy checks than is common in my personal experience.

Still, 17% is respectable compared to other age-controlled stuff.

-- Steve

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
i live in a yuppie-populated area, and there are also some affluent lawyer-types around.
i frequently run into them at the local electronic entertainment hub, and they always have their spacky-pantsed twatty bastard children with them. the parents often take no interest in what they buy, they just sigh and heft whatever it is that their SPTBC happen to be chittering, whining and pointing at. then the next day i would be there, and see the same parent yelling at the cashier, demanding the manager, and threatening to sue because their child's game was violent. stupid. just stupid.
and
Arkitext said:
I know it's wrong to shelter kids from the realities of life, but some of the scenes in GTA are way past that. Hearing Niko swear himself blind, and then fill a corpse full of bullets in blood rage, sort of destroys the innocence of childhood... JUST a little bit.
no. it doesn't. being 19, i grew up on hollywood action movies- terminator and such. i was drawing belt-fed heavy machine guns before i could draw barney the dinosaur.
and the kids before that grew up on dumb, gruesome horror movies and mob flicks.
and for the kids before that, there was.... a draft ticket to 'Nam, i guess.
and for the kids before that, there were spaghetti westerns where the protagonist would waltz into town pretty much riding on a wave of blood, bullets and bad dialogue. he'd shoot the sherriff (lol but not the deputy) rob a bank or a train, visit the local pub/brothel, genocide some of "them dang injuns" and ride off into the sunset to the next poor town.
and for the kids before that, there was world war 2 propaganda showing troops walking through trenches torching "the nips" or "the dirty japs" and watching them run around for a while before crumbling into a screaming heap while "stars and stripes forever" played.
by comparison, things have gotten better. way better.
if anything a little digital cloud of ones and zeroes is LAUGHABLE compared to what passed as 'normal' a few years before. hell, i get more violence turning on the news at night.

[/motherf*cking rant]

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
xtreme_phoenix post=7.68313.624709 said:
well guess who's part of that particular minority.

For my parents it was an informed decision, but I can't speak for others, obviously.
how old are you?
were you being a SPTBC to make them buy it?
is your only comeback to hurtful comments violence?
how much did they know?
did they at least stop and think when they found the name meant "grand theft auto", not "good time, appropriate"?

CelticWarrior

Jul 14, 2008
I think kids are seriously over protected. I've played every game since 3 all the way to four. I've never wanted to go out and mow down an entire city block after playing it, plus tbh GTA series isn't even close to being my favorite series anyway i don't so all the hype.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
That low? Really?

Well, the big issue isn't whether they're playing it or not. What really matters, I suppose, is whether their parents know and approve.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
From the chatter I get on Xbox Live, Id think it'd be higher.

Then again, I'm sure Halo 3's percentage is waaaaaaaaaaaay higher.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Shamanic Enzan post=7.68313.624506 said:
Simple: It's popular, everyone wants to be like the cool kids. I'm thinking of changing back to default armors just so midgets stop asking me how to unlock certain pieces.
Just use Standard with Halo 1 helmet so that they always set you up to say "Because 5 is better than 6 on a top ten list."

sirdiealot88

Apr 3, 2008
Really? That low? I expected that percent to be much higher, mainly coz no1 seems to care about that sorta thing anymore. Few years ago, I tried to buy Medal of Honour: Big Red One from HMV and they didn't let me coz I didn't have ID. I was 17 and it was only a 15 rating. Annoying!!

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah thats gotta be bollocks, I would have expected it to be the other way round lol, because its main appeal is like 10-20 (from personnel experience)

Tread184

Feb 29, 2008
I'm 18, and I've been playing video games ever since I was 4 or 5. Some of the first ones that I played regularly were Duke Nukem 3D, Doom series and Command & Conquer 95. Yes, I've played all of the main GTA games. In a sense, I guess games did influence me because I liked drawing tanks and battle scenes more than dogs and trees, and I liked learning about military stuff and history more than watching kids shows. But I never had any psychopathic violent urges or any spoiled brat syndrome crap. I agree that there kids out there thank should be taught manners and kept away from the games until they are older. But what about kids like me? Nothing bad happened because of my experiences. Then again, I also had really good parents.
Why do you complain that the percentages are too high or what ever? To me, it just allows the game industry to grow.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
I had a kid ask me if I would buy GTA4 for him. In my book, that's a step up from being asked to buy beer or smokes.