New Fallout 3 Patch Offers Surprise 360 Visual Upgrade

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Fallout 3 Patch Offers Surprise 360 Visual Upgrade

The latest Fallout 3 [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] patch not only adds new Achievements for The Pitt and prepares the game for future DLC, it also upgrades the visuals in the Xbox 360 version to bring them more in line with the PlayStation 3 release - at least in some areas.

The PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com] cousin and 4x multisample anti-aliasing (MSAA), but it suffered from inferior up-close texture quality and a lack of specular maps on characters and creatures. While not an Earth-shattering difference, the end result was a "flat" look compared to the PS3 and PC versions of the game.

Inside Digital Foundry [http://www.bethesda.com] technical blog says. "Or perhaps not, because while the effect has been replaced in the more obvious locations, elsewhere it is still absent." The lower resolution textures, however, remain in place.

So while the Xbox 360 version of the game may still not be quite up to par in a side-by-side comparison with the PS3, it looks like Bethesda is doing its best to get it there. 360 owners can comfort themselves while they wait by playing Fallout 3 website [http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/info/opanc.html].

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmmm... interesting.
I couldn't get into my 360 version, I'm hoping for a GoTY version to be released later this year, with all the DLC, on the PS3. Then I think I'll give it another go.

boardman1000

Jul 26, 2008
seriously escapist? you guys have better things to do than go over multi-platform graphics with a fine tooth comb.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Eagle Est1986 said:
Hmmmm... interesting.
I couldn't get into my 360 version, I'm hoping for a GoTY version to be released later this year, with all the DLC, on the PS3. Then I think I'll give it another go.
I am really hoping for this too, as i don't have a live account. They did it for oblivion so I don't see why not!

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
The game looked spectacular already, now they are making it look even better? Wow.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
miracleofsound said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Hmmmm... interesting.
I am really hoping for this too, as i don't have a live account. They did it for oblivion so I don't see why not!
Unfortunately, not going to happen, Bethesda and Microsoft have an exclusive dlc deal.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ima420r said:
The game looked spectacular already, now they are making it look even better? Wow.
Still not as good as the PS3 or PC versions.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
dekkarax said:
miracleofsound said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Hmmmm... interesting.
Unfortunately, not going to happen, Bethesda and Microsoft have an exclusive dlc deal.
Well fuck and double fuck.

They won't even release one for the 360? Thats is just really lame.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
they should fix the bugs and eliminate the stupid xp cap b4 any dlc is released and for some idiotic reason they're play 'n favorites wit xbox that's just plain wrong as for paying for dlc that should be free we spend enough on the game and should be included ,even worse if you don't have a cc in canada for the ps 3 ur shit out of luck psn cards not available were i'm at

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
That was really hard to read.

As pointed out, Bethesda's community manager says he checked with "folks with the office" who told him this issue was in fact patched in version 1.1. As a PC owner who has the pleasure of having both the best visuals and access to future DLC my initial reaction is one of, HA HA! But also, thanks to Ghostwise for pointing out this apparent discrepancy.

PS. I like the level cap.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
16x qMSAA, supersampling etc etc still make me want to play the PC version. They should spend time making fun DLC, anchorage was diabolical.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Nice I got it for the 360 because of the dlc and it's good to see that the hair will now be a bit more hair-like.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Is it unusual that I couldn't make out any differences whatsoever?

It doesn't matter, though. Fallout 3 is a great game, regardless of the graphics.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
boardman1000 said:
Everyone has better things to do than go over multi-platform graphics with a fine tooth comb.
Phat_Frank said:
Wow the greys will be greyer, and the browns, browner.
and these two summed up what I think. Although I am sorry about editing the first quote, but I'm not sure if it is actually the Escapist who did this comparison. Keep in mind that I didn't even care for Fallout 3 enough to finish it, its not bad by any means, I just didn't get into it.

Dmatix

Feb 3, 2009
While the PC version will remain the best looking, is suppose this is good news for 360 owners.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
So...when is The Pitt coming out?

Graphical updates are nice an' all, but I'm all about the content here. (Also, the TV I'm currently using isn't exactly 1080p, y'know?)