RE5 360 Jumps the Gun in Japan

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
RE5 360 Jumps the Gun in Japan

Japanese game retailer Bic Camera has broken the street date for Resident Evi - sorry, Biohazard 5 - but curiously, only the Xbox 360 version, leading some to speculate that Microsoft has a hand in the matter.

Biohazard 5 officially came out in the Land of the Rising Sun today, March 5th - but the picture in question was taken at major Japanese retailer Bic Camera yesterday, the 4th. As Kotaku's Ashcraft points out [http://kotaku.com/5164552/why-did-only-xbox-360-resident-evil-5-go-on-sale-first], while the breaking of street dates isn't uncommon here in the States (or even overseas in places like the crazy-capital-of-the-world, Dubai), it's actually fairly rare in Japan.

That in and of itself wouldn't be all that interesting were it not for the fact that Bic Camera was only selling the 360 version early. Nor was it just the game, either - they had the special RE5-edition red controller & console on the shelves as well. One can't help but wonder: If you're a major retailer looking to break street date on a gigantic title for whatever reason, why just do it for one console? Why not do it for both?

Given that the 360 has a much smaller install base than the PS3 in Japan, maybe Bic Camera was hoping to slide under the radar with this? Some troubled Japanese gamers, though, are beginning to wonder if Microsoft might have been behind Bic's jumping the gun. Or are these rumors unfounded - what do you think?

(Kotaku [http://hatimaki.blog110.fc2.com/blog-entry-927.html])

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
I don't think Microsoft had a hand in it. It was probably just a mix up. But then, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
probably thought that they would just slide under the radar, Microsoft's a big boy now, they don't need the games industry to survive as it is.

and anyhow, Microsoft is a company, not a single person, i seriously doubt the entire company said "screw it, we'll pick up a few extra fans in one country"

most people by now know what console they're buying it for, they probably would be smart enough to figure that out, if Microsoft did it, then i take all of this back

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Conspiracy theorists go nuts!
I'm going with no, although doing it for just one console seems odd, I'm sure they had some reason for doing it that way.