Kratos Plays Golf

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kratos Plays Golf

Just when you think that crossover madness in videogames has hit bottom, Sony comes along and somehow manages to set the bar even lower with news that Kratos, the God of War, will be appearing in Hot Shots Golf.

"Weather reports signal dark ominous clouds forming over Okinawa Golf Resort," Chris Hinojosa-Miranda wrote on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/20/kratos-to-swing-the-clubs-of-chaos-in-hot-shots-golf/]. "Other strangeness reported: Disemboweled elephants in the Great Safari, pillaged villages around the Euro Classics course and loitering Spartans around the great Oceania lobster."

"Yes, all the rumors are true," he continued. "Kratos, the one and only, has made his way to Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds [http://www.us.playstation.com/HotShotsGolf/]... and he's looking to claim his rightful seat as the God of Golf!"

Beginning today, the character will be available as downloadable content for the game. Hinojosa-Miranda failed to mention the cost, but a 1Up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169503] report says other Hot Shots Golf characters have typically gone for 99 cents, so it's reasonable to expect Kratos to sell for the same. The dev team "paid a great deal of attention to all of Kratos' characteristics" while getting him ready to play golf, he said, and original voice actor T.C. Carson reprised the role for the DLC.

"In all honesty, integrating Kratos into Hot Shots Golf was by far one of the best experiences, as we got to work closely with the God of War [http://www.godofwar.com/] team and the cast of characters (voice-over, animators, etc.) that created Kratos in his original form," Hinojosa-Miranda wrote. "If I had to pick one of the most fun parts, it would have to be our VO sessions and watching (listening?) to T.C. Carson jump into the Kratos role in a completely new environment... Trust me, there were plenty of eye-watering-side-splitting laughs that day."

It's nice the gang had fun putting it all together, but does this kind of novelty-act crossover really add value to the game? Or am I just being stodgy?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
I could spend $.99 on five chicken nuggets at the local fast food place or on Kratos the God of Golf.

Which would you choose?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I could just imagine his "failure" animation.

He'd unleash hell upon the world, and creatures would be poping up destroying everything.

Nice.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Instead of a meter its a quick time event to hit the ball.

Jumplion post=7.69225.653477 said:
I could imagine that they would try to fit in a sex minigame in there somehow.
You beat me to it. Too bad its not free (I'm a cheap ass I haven't paid for anything on XBLA o DLC just demos

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008

wrpg dude 1

Aug 17, 2008
Jumplion post=7.69225.653477 said:
me too um krratos should also have lvls from the game to play golf in

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Kratos in a golf game? Pff. That's nothing. I distinctly remember seeing a recent advert for a crossover sports game based around the Olympics with Pyramid Head as a playable character.

Chibi Pyramid Head.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Logan Frederick post=7.69225.653445 said:
I could spend $.99 on five chicken nuggets at the local fast food place or on Kratos the God of Golf.

Which would you choose?
I will have the nuggets. Seriously what are they thinking?! Of all people to put in they put Kratos.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Break post=7.69225.653515 said:
Kratos in a golf game? Pff. That's nothing. I distinctly remember seeing a recent advert for a crossover sports game based around the Olympics with Pyramid Head as a playable character.

Chibi Pyramid Head.
Yep, we reviewed that very game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5128-Review-New-International-Track-and-Field

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.69225.653741 said:
conqueror Kenny post=7.69225.653529 said:
Seriously what are they thinking?! Of all people to put in they put Kratos.
Same reason they put Snake in Brawl, and let Kratos dress up as a cow - it looks funny. It doesn't hurt the main series, and it looks funny.
Yeah, but snake could still hurt people in brawl. It at least had something to do with violence. But what does Kratos have to do with golf?
PedroSteckecilo post=7.69225.653540 said:
If he can't kill other golfers why put him in the game?

DarkHyth

Apr 10, 2008
Err... ok? Still no reason for me to get the game. Way to serve the fanbase who love Kratos AND play golf games. I'm sure thats a large proportion of the players. Mmm-hmm.

Lunar6

Jul 30, 2008
Seems more like an answer to the fanboys who wanted him in Soul Calibur IV. Still, it's a start. I guess >_>

conqueror Kenny post=7.69225.653768 said:
Indigo_Dingo post=7.69225.653741 said:
conqueror Kenny post=7.69225.653529 said:
Seriously what are they thinking?! Of all people to put in they put Kratos.
Same reason they put Snake in Brawl, and let Kratos dress up as a cow - it looks funny. It doesn't hurt the main series, and it looks funny.
Yeah, but snake could still hurt people in brawl. It at least had something to do with violence. But what does Kratos have to do with golf?
PedroSteckecilo post=7.69225.653540 said:
If he can't kill other golfers why put him in the game?
They put Jak and Daxter in a previous one IIRC, and they had just as little to do with golf.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Highly ridiculous. Better seen as humour, but again, what a good amount of hahalololol in perspective.

Ronmarru

Aug 17, 2008
It could be funny, it could be horrible. I'm all for crossovers until the cross genres. "Hey, you got your racing in my RPG.", "Hey you got your FPS in my sports." Not a selling point for me, but then again I never like sports games. If you want to play the sport than go play it.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
It's Hot Shots golf, not Tiger Woods or PGA. Think of it as how Kratos relaxes off screen, like how Robot Chicken shows the Superfriends carpooling in to the studio before they start shooting for the day.