Is EA Sports Considering A Michael Phelps Game?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Is EA Sports Considering A Michael Phelps Game?

If the gold medal heroics of Michael Phelps has left you with a burning desire to emulate his success without having to actually get off the couch, EA Sports [http://www.easports.com] may just have some good news for you in the future.

Phelps, who won eight gold medals at the Crispy Gamer [http://en.beijing2008.cn/] report, Phelps was an unannounced guest at the party, leading to speculation that he might be talking about a game deal of his own. It's all rumor at this point, and it's very possible that Phelps was just out looking for a party, but the EA machine is a purposeful beast, and there are few names in sports right now bigger than Phelps'.

The question mark, of course, is what exactly a Michael Phelps game could offer that would make it worth playing. I'm having a hard time visualizing much to it beyond the old Konami [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_&_Field_(arcade_game)], which gamers of a certain vintage may recall was played by rapidly pounding two alternating buttons to make your athlete run faster. (True masters of the game employed pens or combs held in a super-secret grip to "automate" the second button-press at ultra-high speeds.) It was fun back in the day, but I'm not so sure that kind of gameplay would hold water 25 years later.

On the other hand, Phelps' eight gold medals establishes him as the "greatest Olympian ever," giving him a unique and, at least until he's caught doping, unassailable cachet in just about any market he wants to enter. As the article points out, a game based on Phelps' exploits in the pool would be "too thin" as a standard console release, but as a quick and cheap downloadable, it could capitalize on his fame without boosting gamers' expectations too high. It's an opportunity for EA Sports to cash in now, and perhaps even more importantly, establish the groundwork for a deeper and more durable relationship in the future.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
I thought this might be a cooking simulator - "help Michael Phelps eat 12000 calories" kinda thing. You'd have to run to supermarkets, buy extra calorific items with high nutritional value etc. Now, THAT could be cool...

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Um...I know he's great and all, but a swimming game? C'mon olympic games aren't that good, now take away all the games except swimming. Yeah, not too fun eh?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
If it is made, I will buy 3 copies and destroy them in the most ruthless way possible. Yes... I will provide EA with money for making such a bad game, just so I can have the entertainment of watching something with Micheal Phelps in it/on it suffer as much as an inanimate object can suffer.

I don't think I've hated anyone this much in my life.

Mar 26, 2008
I swim laps as exercise and it is boring as bat shit. Why would I want to virtually do it?

And why is EA so US-centric? What about an unlockable Ian Thorpe? ;-)

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Because even for an athlete, he's got way too big of an ego. I remember once the reporters on NBC didn't understand why he pushes himself so much during a placement race, and he basically said that he didn't want to give anyone any hope of beating him.

My girlfriend told me about another incident where he creamed his competition, and then said he wasn't happy with his performance. This one I understand, an athlete should always be pushing himself to do better, but Phelps is the very definition of cocky.

Not that the media helps at all, I remember in one of the relays, he lost his race, and at the very last second his teammate took first place away from Brazil. Yet the media only wanted to talk about Phelps.

So do I hate Phelps or am I sick of hearing about him? I don't know. But I do know that he's just a glorified frat boy who just so happens to be able to swim really well.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz post=7.69895.685615 said:
Because even for an athlete, he's got way too big of an ego. I remember once the reporters on NBC didn't understand why he pushes himself so much during a placement race, and he basically said that he didn't want to give anyone any hope of beating him.

My girlfriend told me about another incident where he creamed his competition, and then said he wasn't happy with his performance. This one I understand, an athlete should always be pushing himself to do better, but Phelps is the very definition of cocky.

Not that the media helps at all, I remember in one of the relays, he lost his race, and at the very last second his teammate took first place away from Brazil. Yet the media only wanted to talk about Phelps.

So do I hate Phelps or am I sick of hearing about him? I don't know. But I do know that he's just a glorified frat boy who just so happens to be able to swim really well.
You're kidding... A glorified frat boy?

8 gold medals... 8.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Are you fucking kidding me? Has any olympics based game taught the Games industry ANYTHING? And as far as im concerned, mashing buttons rotating the analog sticks or waving the controller like a madman DOES NOT make a good sports title. And besides, I don't think that would make a good game anyway. I don't know who would buy it anyway.

OH RIGHT, the same stupid idiots who bought the Madden, FIFA, and/or Tiger Woods iterations every year.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
"To swim, PRESS X OVER AND OVER AND OVER!"

at least make it for the Wii fit or something, use the balance board, and give two wii remotes, and then say "swing your arms in circles while running in place on the balance board to swim".

(and seeing as that "crypto" parasite is being found more often in pools, maybe this would be a good alternative)

-and if you stop swimming you drown.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lvl 64 Klutz post=7.69895.685615 said:
he basically said that he didn't want to give anyone any hope of beating him.
But isn't that the point of professional athletics? To dominate the competition and establish yourself as the best in the game?

I have no use for Phelps or the olympics in general, but that's a far cry from hate.

babyblues

Apr 22, 2008
What are you talking about, Klutz? If you knew anything about the guy you'd know he's just a shy guy that loves his mom and plays video games. He was picked on alot as a kid so I say good for him.

Most athletes are in it to be the best in their sport. No athlete says to themselves "Hey, I'll just be mediocre." No, they drive themselves to be the best and they're in it to win. The fact of the matter is that he's the best swimmer currently. And if he's the best, what would you have him do? Lose on purpose?