15-Minute Game of Thrones Preview Showcases Season 4

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
15-Minute Game of Thrones Preview Showcases Season 4

The Game of Thrones season 4 premiere is still a couple of months away, but anticipation is quickly building as eager fans ready themselves for the next chapter in the bloody saga of Westeros. That in mind, HBO has recently released a 15-minute "Foreshadowing" preview of the new season to give a sneak peak at the continuing story as well as provide some insight into the process of making the show and its actors.

If the preview could be summed up all neat and tidy-like however, it would seem that viewers can expect season 4 to be a swifter more action packed ride than previous runs of the show. The preview, in turn, centered in on a few of the bigger things we can look forward to. The wedding between King Joffrey and Margery Tyrell, for instance, is looking pretty epic in terms of its scale. Likewise, the promise of Daeneryas's continued conquest of the lands across the Narrow Sea should be a treat.

Arguably the best parts of the preview however come from the moments where it focuses in on the actors themselves. Responding to a question about what the cast does for fun, Peter Dinklage relating a story about he and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau doing a dance routine in the middle of scene should at least earn some chuckles from series devotees. Overall, the whole preview video is pretty interesting and if you're a fan of the show it's a must-watch.

Source: <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ>YouTube

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Looks like Strong Belwas is no longer fat. Dangit HBO that was basically his defining characteristic. Still, it seems that
Joffery still ends up kicking the bucket and Tyrion probably ends up killing Tywin. Glad to see they're sticking with the books even though I heard they've been allowed to split from the story.

And Jamie's golden hand looks pretty fancy.

Getting to the end of book 5-1 right now but I'll still be watching this, should be fun.

Also seeing Tyrion with his TV scar really reminds me just how different he is in the books, he basically loses half his face in the battle of the Blackwater.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Looks like Fat Belwas is no longer fat. Dangit HBO that was basically his defining characteristic. Still, it seems that
Joffery still ends up kicking the bucket and Tyrion probably ends up killing Tywin. Glad to see they're sticking with the books even though I heard they've been allowed to split from the story.

Getting to the end of book 5-1 right now but I'll still be watching this, should be fun.

Also seeing Tyrion with his TV scar really reminds me just how different he is in the books, he basically loses half his face in the battle of the Blackwater.
I think they replaced Strong Belwas with Daario in the show.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:
Looks like Fat Belwas is no longer fat. Dangit HBO that was basically his defining characteristic. Still, it seems that

I dunno, I'm assuming the lancer and the other guy at 29 seconds or so in is supposed to be the fight Belwas has outside that one city and that guy doesn't look beefy enough to be Daario.
I could be completely wrong about this mind you, but I don't think I've seen that guy before.

Jul 31, 2013
Oooooooh, now you're really getting me excited for Oberyn "The Red Viper" Martell and his big showdown with
The Mountain

And seeing Jaime Lannister's character development will also be awesome, I guess. His new right hand looks pretty nifty....

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I always look forward to seeing how big the dragons get after each season. This season - big enough to eat a small village of people and their horses, but not yet big enough to ride.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
I dunno, I'm assuming the lancer and the other guy at 29 seconds or so in is supposed to be the fight Belwas has outside that one city and that guy doesn't look beefy enough to be Daario.
I could be completely wrong about this mind you, but I don't think I've seen that guy before.
Well luckily they change the guy who was playing Daario and to be completely honest Strong Belwas doesn't really do that much for the story (i.e. he can be so easily replaced) having Daario take his role when challenging the champion seems reasonable.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:

They recast Daario for season 4. He looks like this now:

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:

...huh.
Anybody know the reason why? Reading the books the guy they cast had the same kind of face and body I'd imagine Daario having. This guy looks like any other dude.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:

...huh.
Anybody know the reason why? Reading the books the guy they cast had the same kind of face and body I'd imagine Daario having. This guy looks like any other dude.
I don't like the way they've done Daario. I don't understand why he doesn't look like he's described in the books.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Very interesting video. Loved the Dany bits though, seems her problems are occurring realistically, so that should be good to watch. I've never read the books, so I have no idea what's going to happen, but this sure made me excited. Especially that last shot, damn!

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:

...huh.
in the books he had purple/blue hair and a forked beard, the guy cast in season 3 looked nothing like he was described. granted, the actor did a really good job cockyness and attitude, but lookswise the new one is a minor improvement. to be honest though, unless the new guy nails his personality, it'll still be an overall step in the wrong direction IMO.

anyway OT: i liked watching this, i was expecting just loads of clips like an extended trailer, but this was more interviews and stuff which was pretty awesome. interested to see what they cover though, seeing as this is season 4, which is part 2 of book 3, and they're showing scenes of
the bastard of bolton again, who doesnt turn up until book 5

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
hazabaza1 said:

Oh come the **** on, there's no way they are going to change the story THAT much. You can't tell me you seriously believed they were not going to do that because if you do, ...
i don't even know what to say.
Come on, i agree that the story is seriously stronger in the books, but that's alway going to be the case, when one medium is converted into another one.
As far as i am concerned, the Game of Thrones series is one of the best, if not the best, adaptation of a book series i have ever seen.
Nothing incredibly major is cut from the story (except maybe that one bit from neds memories), everything still makes sense and the biggest inconsistendys i could find are were they were planning to have multiple scenes and just had one because of time restraints.
Were the shadow gets released he goes into the canalisation of the castle just like in the books, but emerges in the military camp of king renly that was shown.
They probably just cut the caslte out because another location was too expensive and didn't want to reshoot the scene.
This was the only scene that made no sense in the series but got cleared up when i read the books, otherwise it pretty much fit, except less characters of course.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
suitepee7 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:

...huh.
in the books he had purple/blue hair and a forked beard, the guy cast in season 3 looked nothing like he was described. granted, the actor did a really good job cockyness and attitude, but lookswise the new one is a minor improvement. to be honest though, unless the new guy nails his personality, it'll still be an overall step in the wrong direction IMO.

anyway OT: i liked watching this, i was expecting just loads of clips like an extended trailer, but this was more interviews and stuff which was pretty awesome. interested to see what they cover though, seeing as this is season 4, which is part 2 of book 3, and they're showing scenes of
the bastard of bolton again, who doesnt turn up until book 5
I just meant the face and body shape. I think the hair seems a little silly for modern TV, hardly anyone would take him seriously.

As for the spoiler, I'm pretty sure the show is just going in a chronological linear fashion, compared to the books that can cover a good few months for one character and then go back time and cover the same months for someone on the other side of the world.

suitepee7

Dec 6, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
I just meant the face and body shape. I think the hair seems a little silly for modern TV, hardly anyone would take him seriously.

As for the spoiler, I'm pretty sure the show is just going in a chronological linear fashion, compared to the books that can cover a good few months for one character and then go back time and cover the same months for someone on the other side of the world.
in that regard, then yeah i agree with you, this one does look a lot... blander. and i guess so, but i still expected some facial hair, and not blonde. just threw me off at bit.

and yeah i guessed they might be, because brienne mentions
about biting the guys ear off, which IIRC doesn't happen till at least halfway through book 4, which IS further along in the chronological order.
i know they aren't sticking to it exactly, and god knows i'm happy they're not doing a season just on book 4, but the timeline just feels a bit off to me

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
suitepee7 said:
hazabaza1 said:

in that regard, then yeah i agree with you, this one does look a lot... blander. and i guess so, but i still expected some facial hair, and not blonde. just threw me off at bit.
Agreed, I had to go back and make sure it was the same guy when I read his description in the book. It was odd to say the least.
Also just so you know your spoiler box messed up, might want to fix it.

Honestly I can't really remember much of 3-2, but I get the feeling like they're going to rush to the end of it so they can mix books 4 and 5-1 together as they happen at the same time.

From what I remember 3-2 never really covered what Brienne was doing during the time of Tyrion's trial. It could be that she was looking for Sansa while King's Landing was up in arms about Joffery's death.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:

...huh.
Not sure why but they also recast Tommen and the Mountain (again) for season 4.

Might be a bit confusing for casual show watchers, especially since the new Tommen actor also played Martyn Lannister who got killed by Karstark in season 3.

hazabaza1

Nov 26, 2008
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:
Sight Unseen said:
hazabaza1 said:

...huh.
Not sure why but they also recast Tommen and the Mountain (again) for season 4.

Might be a bit confusing for casual show watchers, especially since the new Tommen actor also played Martyn Lannister who got killed by Karstark in season 3.
...oh god my brain.
I mean I can understand the Tommen casting because he's older now and is going to be more important in the story and nobody cares about Martyn Lannister anyway but I didn't realize Gregor was even in Harrenhall until someone who had read the books mentioned that the one guy was him. The first guy for Gregor was perfect, I'm so confused.

I'm just going to say that everyone is from Braavos and can change their faces like Jaqen can. Makes things a lot simpler.

suitepee7

Dec 6, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
thanks, fixed my spoiler tags!

anyway
i know she's imprisoned for quite a while, until loras tyrell hears her out and decides there must be more to renly's death than originally appeared. however i couldn't tell you when exactly she was released in regards to tyrion's trial, i would have guessed it was during the trial, but before the trial by combat. i'm pretty sure jaime's last meeting with her (and the last time we hear of her until her own chapters) is jaime giving her his sword, but i'm not sure when exactly that is... i only read the book again about 3 weeks back and the detail slipped me