15 year old girl kills herself after persistent bullying

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
This is so sad. I don't care if what she did was a mistake. She was just a kid. Kids do and say stupid things all the time. That doesn't give people the right to torment her like this. I just hope that this can be a cautionary tale to others. Be nice to each other damnit!

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
It's quite sad and my condolences to the family. Nobody should have to go through that especially at that young an age.

However I would like to say that the sensationalism regarding the whole anti bullying campaign that inevitably sprang from this does somewhat annoy me. This happens to children every day yet only hits the limelight every so often. I don't want to sound hysterical but what is it about the few that are presented to the public that suddenly makes the world not shove them aside and live their lives regardless that the thousands of other episodes don't provide?

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Driekan said:
DerangedHobo said:
Implying anyone should care about her.
I mean 100s commit suicide each day, why did they rule out her?
Because of crocodile tears.
It's not like she was the nerdy kid in the lunch line who got picked up because they were an "easy target". She "flashed" multiple times and she slept with someone in a relationship. That is why she was bullied, because she had a reputation of a "slut".
What is it with this victim mentality these days? Why are the suicidal kids glorified and put on a pedestal?
inb4 ban.
What I argue is that being a "slut" should not be seen as a terrible thing.

In my experience, being a polygamous man is something that is consistently glorified, so the women should get the same benefit.

Would have prevented this from ever becoming an issue.
Unfortunately wanton sex has consequences and I'd just as quickly condemn(and I do condemn them) some horny douche as well as a girl with similar mannerisms. Safe while fun, costs money to do safely on a consistent basis. So... it's a bit of a responsibility thing. Not being able to take responsibility for moderating his/her sexual impulses is not something to glorify.

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Driekan said:
DerangedHobo said:
It's not like she was the nerdy kid in the lunch line who got picked up because they were an "easy target". She "flashed" multiple times and she slept with someone in a relationship. That is why she was bullied, because she had a reputation of a "slut".
What is it with this victim mentality these days? Why are the suicidal kids glorified and put on a pedestal?
inb4 ban.

In my experience, being a polygamous man is something that is consistently glorified, so the women should get the same benefit.

Unfortunately wanton sex has consequences and I'd just as quickly condemn(and I do condemn them) some horny douche as well as a girl with similar mannerisms. Safe while fun, costs money to do safely on a consistent basis. So... it's a bit of a responsibility thing. Not being able to take responsibility for moderating his/her sexual impulses is not something to glorify.
Not saying it is something to glorify. Just that it is not something to shun unto death.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Driekan said:
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Driekan said:
DerangedHobo said:
inb4 ban.

Not saying it is something to glorify. Just that it is not something to shun unto death.
If your in any way utilitarian(I'm not but just saying) then it should be something to shun. Still I think it's fine so long as your not imposing the consequences of your actions on others.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
I find it funny how many comments on here are talking about how because she was 12 at the time she shouldn't be judged because apparently we start thinking for ourselves around age 30 these days.

I'll say that her parents may have dropped the ball, but who knows? One of my best friends has always been introverted and the like her whole life, around her family anyways. Her parents asked her questions about school,life,etc., and she'd deflect them pretty well, so they didn't know anything about her life outside of school because most of my friends have family businesses and were taught to be pretty damn independent from around age 4 onwards. What I'm saying is, all we've been given is that she moved schools a couple times because of incessant "bullying", which these days is, let's face it, anything that remotely involves touching or waggling of your tongue at anyone other than the person at the front of the class writing on a squeaky chalkboard is labeled as. I'm not saying her parents have no fault in it, but we don't know all the circumstances.

She didn't have the common sense to think, "hey, a stranger, I've got stuff covering my boobs for a reason, right? And now he wants me to show them? Doesn't exactly seem legit."

She slept with someone's significant other, and although highschool stuff are most of the shallower relationships out there, there's plenty of people that take them much more seriously than we take a bomb duct-taped,super- and gorilla-, glued to our crotch with thirty seconds left on the timer. Again, she exhibits symptoms of attentionado whoringness, and obviously doesn't think anything through, or she does and doesn't care about the possible consequences. Either are equally stupid in my book.

Now, while I'm not going to come out and say she deserves to die, she could easily benefit from a few smacks to the head to see if she comes out of that mindset.

Now, the school should've stepped in, but there's only so much they can do, most schools only have a limited staff, cameras can't catch everything, and I've yet to see one that doesn't have at least three blatant blindspots anyone with half a brain could see, and most places I've seen, if you have three people that say the guy with bloody knuckles didn't beat the only bleeding kid on campus, then it didn't happen, doesn't matter if they're sports or not(because I know the first argument against that coming). I see posts on here talking about school counselors, which in my experience are one to four people that have to keep up with at the very least, a hundred people, each. Add into that the fact that going to see them during school hours nets you more ire from the school than it does if you just soldier on and take the hits. Going before school might not have possible, buses are late regularly for one reason or another all the time, and after school is almost impossible to get anyone to listen to you, if simply for the reason that schedules don't allow for much time for a majority of school employees.

In short, sorry that she decided to off herself, but she had plenty of chances to quit what she was doing(if the four different articles I read hold any amount of truth) and close that facebook page, zip up her skivvies, walk the other way, ignore the jabs, or hell, even going period-rage and ripping some girl's hair out in the middle of school. Sure it might get you in trouble with the school, but it'll do quite a bit to your image if people think you're a crazy mother that could snap any second.

Now, I know I'm drawing quite a bit from my own experience in terms of school employee crap, and it might not be the same up wherever it was she lived, but personal responsibility is an invaluable commodity that is in short supply here in this age. She should've thought out a bit more than "lol, flash a stranger I met online, nothing bad could come of this at all."

Wow.....that turned out quite a bit longer than I expected it to be....anyways, I think I've actually just repeated everything that's been said in the thread so....conversation end?

Vizanto

Aug 6, 2012
So has anyone brought up that memorial pages set up on facebook have been trolled. Some of course by 4chan, some of them are the PEOPLE THAT BULLLIED HER.

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/403259/amanda-todds-memorial-pages-targeted-by-negative-messages/

So, not enough that they can make a teenage girl's life hell, they gotta disrepect her memory where her family can see it?

Also if you wanted to have faith in humanity. Here's a guy who leaked her autopsy photos on the internet.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/a-jailbait-loving-perv-destroyed-amanda-todds-life

Say what you want about a girl's bad decisions or whatever, can we all agree that these people are truly awful?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Vizanto said:
So has anyone brought up that memorial pages set up on facebook have been trolled. Some of course by 4chan, some of them are the PEOPLE THAT BULLLIED HER.

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/403259/amanda-todds-memorial-pages-targeted-by-negative-messages/

So, not enough that they can make a teenage girl's life hell, they gotta disrepect her memory where her family can see it?

Also if you wanted to have faith in humanity. Here's a guy who leaked her autopsy photos on the internet.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/a-jailbait-loving-perv-destroyed-amanda-todds-life

Say what you want about a girl's bad decisions or whatever, can we all agree that these people are truly awful?
Yes we can. There's disagreeing with the way she handled things that happened. The trolling isn't needed or sane.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
chinangel said:
Fun Fact, the guy who collected her picture (the one she talks about in the vid) has been found.

He's on facebook 'Corey Hartstone'.
His Facebook has been deleted. His twitter and youtube pages are getting hit with posts goading him to commit suicide now. Society didn't learn a damn thing...

Edit: Turns out the real pedophile blackmailer is a guy named Kody Maxson:
[link]http://www.vice.com/read/a-jailbait-loving-perv-destroyed-amanda-todds-life[/link]

Anonymous has a video out targeting him:[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcaFG-XpT0o[/link]

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
RedFeather1975 said:
It's not really selfish of her StormShaun.
She didn't belong on a world that didn't care for who she really was.
She was made to hurt for it. But now she can't be hurt anymore.
Congratulations, this is probably the nicest thing anybody has said in this thread.

OT: I've got nothing to say except that while watching the video, I was thinking that if I had been in the same class as her and noticed her sitting alone during lunches, I would've attempted to make friends with her. Because while I can't sympathize with the exact situation she had been in, I know what it's like to be the person sitting alone while eating. And if I had known about her situation, well, I'm not exactly one to judge people over something like flashing over a webcam.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
RedFeather1975 said:
It's not really selfish of her StormShaun.
She didn't belong on a world that didn't care for who she really was.
She was made to hurt for it. But now she can't be hurt anymore.
Congratulations, this is probably the nicest thing anybody has said in this thread.
That comment ignores the fact that her parents tried to help by moving her from school to school. In her situation and with the way that schools handle bullying, its pretty much the only thing you could have done for her.

It also ignore the fact that she was going to counselling on a monthly basis. There were people that cared for her and people who were legitimately trying to help. Suicide like this is selfish to a degree.

Now people have shut down the Facebook of a guy known as Corey Hartstone due to rumours of him being the blackmailer. Death threats and all. Turns out it was really a guy named Kody Maxson. See what blind sympathy can do?

Overall this was a sad situation, but suicide is always a choice.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Now people have shut down the Facebook of a guy known as Corey Hartstone due to rumours of him being the blackmailer. Death threats and all. Turns out it was really a guy named Kody Maxson. See what blind sympathy can do?
That's not "blind sympathy". I don't even know that "blind sympathy" is a thing. That's just mob justice. There's a reason mob justice isn't formally endorsed, and the reason is that mobs don't tend to do a lot of thinking things through before jumping to conclusions.

I do find it amusing that there's a demographic on these forums that views compassion as a character flaw though.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
On the bright side of this topic at least they aren't blaming Ozzy, Metallica or slayer anymore for teen suicides...they loved to blame that devil rock for everything.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
That's not "blind sympathy". I don't even know that "blind sympathy" is a thing. That's just mob justice. There's a reason mob justice isn't formally endorsed, and the reason is that mobs don't tend to do a lot of thinking things through before jumping to conclusions.

I do find it amusing that there's a demographic on these forums that views compassion as a character flaw though.
Compassion is not a character flaw. I never said that. Not being informed is a flaw. Its not ok for a mob of people to threaten a random guy with death just because they "care".

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Compassion is not a character flaw. I never said that. Not being informed is a flaw. Its not ok for a mob of people to threaten a random guy with death just because they "care".
Of course it's not. But they're threatening a random guy with death because they're hotheads, not because they care. Compassion does not lead directly to random acts of vigilante justice. Mobs don't form to sympathy someone to death. If you want to complain about mob justice, by all means fill your boots. You're just drawing aim on the wrong target.

Zombiefish

Sep 29, 2012
OK Im going to come out and say it. I do not feel sorry for this girl.

While bullying in any form is disgraceful, choosing her as the icon for why bullying must be stopped is a bad choice.

While it is true flashing her breasts was a mistake (a stupid one) and she can be easily forgiven for this, the second 'mistake' which led to the serious bullying cannot be.

She slept with a guy who had a girlfriend at the time. And she KNEW this. She chose deliberately to disrespect that girl and sleep with the man, despite the fact that she was under aged and despite the issues she had gone through previously. She was happy at that school but she insisted on fucking everything up for herself again. If I had been the other girl I would have beaten her up too for sleeping with the guy I had been seeing at the time. Im really not surprised she received so much hate from peers for her actions.

I would like to point out that I do not think this justifies the bullying in the slightest and I do think its unfortunate she killed herself. I would never wish this on anyone, however feeling sorry for her just annoys me as she brought it upon herself.

I will give my sympathy instead to the people who suffer silently and end up killing themselves because of bully's who target them when they are completely innocent.

The 'fat' kid the 'ginger' and the 'nerd' will all receive much more respect and sympathy from me than Amanda Todd ever could.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zombiefish said:
OK Im going to come out and say it. I do not feel sorry for this girl.

While bullying in any form is disgraceful, choosing her as the icon for why bullying must be stopped is a bad choice.

While it is true flashing her breasts was a mistake (a stupid one) and she can be easily forgiven for this, the second 'mistake' which led to the serious bullying cannot be.

She slept with a guy who had a girlfriend at the time. And she KNEW this. She chose deliberately to disrespect that girl and sleep with the man, despite the fact that she was under aged and despite the issues she had gone through previously. She was happy at that school but she insisted on fucking everything up for herself again. If I had been the other girl I would have beaten her up too for sleeping with the guy I had been seeing at the time. Im really not surprised she received so much hate from peers for her actions.

I would like to point out that I do not think this justifies the bullying in the slightest and I do think its unfortunate she killed herself. I would never wish this on anyone, however feeling sorry for her just annoys me as she brought it upon herself.

I will give my sympathy instead to the people who suffer silently and end up killing themselves because of bully's who target them when they are completely innocent.

The 'fat' kid the 'ginger' and the 'nerd' will all receive much more respect and sympathy from me than Amanda Todd ever could.
In fairness to Amanda, while "home wrecking" a teenaged relationship is not a noble act, I'm not really on board with cheating = beating. Especially not 15 on 1.

And in fairness to your outcry for fat kids and nerds, I've known plenty of fat kids and nerds who were pretty odious human beings in their own right. Being a social outcast does not automatically make you a saint. Hell, a lot of the "nerds" I've known growing up have been creepy assholes.

The thing is, compassion isn't necessarily meant to be parceled out on a merit system. Often the people most in need of it are the people who least appear to "deserve" it.

Zombiefish

Sep 29, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
In fairness to Amanda, while "home wrecking" a teenaged relationship is not a noble act, I'm not really on board with cheating = beating. Especially not 15 on 1.

And in fairness to your outcry for fat kids and nerds, I've known plenty of fat kids and nerds who were pretty odious human beings in their own right. Being a social outcast does not automatically make you a saint. Hell, a lot of the "nerds" I've known growing up have been creepy assholes.

The thing is, compassion isn't necessarily meant to be parceled out on a merit system. Often the people most in need of it are the people who least appear to "deserve" it.
You make a very good point. I'm just very frustrated that this girl gets so much attention and love from strangers while others in the same situation are literally ignored.

My post was more directed towards the individuals who are generally shy, nice people who are bullied due to a personality trait or part of their physical appearance they cant change. And believe me there are a lot.

I believe they should get the same amount of respect, if not more, than this girl has received yet because they don't make their struggle as public, nobody seems to care.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zombiefish said:
You make a very good point. I'm just very frustrated that this girl gets so much attention and love from strangers while others in the same situation are literally ignored.

My post was more directed towards the individuals who are generally shy, nice people who are bullied due to a personality trait or part of their physical appearance they cant change. And believe me there are a lot.

I believe they should get the same amount of respect, if not more, than this girl has received yet because they don't make their struggle as public, nobody seems to care.
In my case, I posted about it because I happen to live in Vancouver, so the story had a local angle for me. I also have a girlfriend who has a profound anxiety disorder, and was bullied as a kid. I could very easily have seen her ending up in similar circumstances, so it's hard for me not to over-identify.

I'm really not sure where this idea came from that asking for attention is bad. I know we have a society where a lot of people are clamoring for our attention non stop, and some of them are pretty obnoxious, but honestly in cases like this it's just kind of heart breaking. A lot of these people are just craving validation, which they're apparently not getting from their families or immediate peers, so they have to look to total strangers for it. While I may not have all the attention in the world to spare, I don't really feel a burning need to tear them down for it, either, as if the very act of calling attention to yourself is an active act of malice.

Caring is not a zero sum proposition. I don't use up all my caring on one person and then when the next one comes along I suddenly have none to spare. If someone wants to call attention to the fact their suffering, good for them. If someone wants to suffer in silence, that's their prerogative, but they can't very well go on to complain later that no one noticed. We have that homily about squeaky wheels and grease for a reason.

And really, in her case, all the "respect" she's getting isn't doing her a whole lot of fucking good, is it?